Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1.    #1  
    HP/Palm currently finds themselves in kind of a "tech purgatory" with no easy or reasonable solution on the horizon. It's a bit of a chicken or the egg situation.
    On the one hand, if they go ahead and release the new products with the current webOS app landscape, consumers will not take it seriously due to the lack of apps, which is truly what drives the whole mobile experience.
    On the other hand, developers aren't wasting their time or resources on such a small platform, which currently has a small line up of pitiful devices. They basically don't take webOS seriously, and truthfully, who can blame them.
    HP/Palm has to make a decision and very soon. These ridiculously long periods of time between product announcements and product releases has to stop. As usual, they are their own worst enemy.
    It's gonna take a 2 prong attack. 1) throw massive amounts of money at developers to get them on board, then 2) flood the market with the Pre 3 and the Touchpad, in every retail outlet and EVERY carrier. Forget the Veer, it's a joke. There's a reason why no other manufacturer is going smaller...NO BODY WANTS IT. Samsung is currently riding a huge wave of success because THEY did it right. RELEASE TO EVERY CARRIER.
    What say you?
    The Saint
  2. #2  
    Point def is a good one, but all these have been taken in consideration by even the CEO of HP. As stated summer is a mere 3 months away so to me making sure the OS is fully optimized is the main concern. As well as they did state the applications will be there this summer, so of course we will have to wait and see.
  3. #3  
    I think their decision has already been made, and announced.
  4. #4  
    Important announcements of some kind are coming tomorrow. Hopefully dates and carriers.
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by innocentbystander View Post
    Important announcements of some kind are coming tomorrow. Hopefully dates and carriers.
    Source or it's false.
  6. #6  
    I agree with the OP, except about the Veer. Some people do want it. Most of the uber-geek technophiles here don't want a Veer, but that doesn't mean that nobody does. My fiancÚ would be thrilled if it came to Sprint.

    Since nobody is going going smaller, you don't actually need that much of a market to make a go of it. There's no competition for the form factor. If they release a 4-5" monstrosity that looks like a brick, a lot of people will want one, but you'll be competing directly against the iphone, droid, evo and a slough of others, most (if not all) of which are much better established in the market place.
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    It is as if you said that the result a dog and a cat mating was a giraffe. It's so completely wrong, that it's difficult to argue with someone who believes it to be true.
  7. #7  
    I for one don't like to carry a brick in my pocket and I loathe those giant fanny-packesque carriers that all the "real" phones have to be carried in these days. the pre/veer is a wonderful size, as is the pixi.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by IGNTNUNLMTD View Post
    Source or it's false.
    yes they have some announcements tomorrow but most peeps thinks its other product announcements ,i.e. printers and whatnot
    ĦṔ-Ḷ°ěṫ-Ŧḯěη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  9. #9  
    I don't think there will be any new webOS announcements. The event is a about all of HP:

    After ‘rocky’ start, H-P chief aims for reboot
  10. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by innocentbystander View Post
    Important announcements of some kind are coming tomorrow. Hopefully dates and carriers.

    I doubt it - it's a strategy event aimed at the markets not a webos product launch.
  11. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    yes they have some announcements tomorrow but most peeps thinks its other product announcements ,i.e. printers and whatnot
    I'm sure WebOS will be mentioned but it's an event about the broad overall direction of the company and where the individual bits fit - so while he'll mention it, I doubt he's be saying "and the Veer will be launching on March 30th on AT&T" (or whatever) more likely "and WebOS products will launch this summer leading to....".
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by clintwinstead View Post
    ...Forget the Veer, it's a joke. There's a reason why no other manufacturer is going smaller...
    The iPhone 4 at 3.85 cubic inches, is smaller overall than the Veer at 4.2 cubis inches. See the Official iPhone 4 vs. HP Pre3 and Veer.

    Also, the iPhone Nano is expected to be smaller still with about the same 3.5" screen but without as wide of top and bottom bezels. The iPhone 5 may go to a 4" screen while staying under 4 cubic inches. Samsung, HTC, and LC also have smaller models coming.

    Small is still a big deal for many.
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 03/14/2011 at 12:54 AM.
  13. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    #13  
    Ah.. the iphone nano - rumoured from the start, still doesn't exist. I'll believe it when I see it.

    SE did have a model about the same size, from what I can tell they discontinued it and replace it with a similar but larger model.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Ah.. the iphone nano - rumoured from the start, still doesn't exist. I'll believe it when I see it.

    SE did have a model about the same size, from what I can tell they discontinued it and replace it with a similar but larger model.
    X10 mini, in turn replaced by X10 mini pro. Same unit but with a keyboard.

    It's still on sale, but there's another 3" model coming to replace it. I think it's still around the same size as the Veer, but it has a full screen where as the Veer can only do 2.6" because of the gesture area.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLI╔ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

    It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

    Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
  15. fredc1's Avatar
    Posts
    150 Posts
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by clintwinstead View Post
    On the one hand, if they go ahead and release the new products with the current webOS app landscape, consumers will not take it seriously due to the lack of apps, which is truly what drives the whole mobile experience.
    While apps are nice to have, no way do they "drive" the mobile experience. More than 60% of current smartphone users have never even downloaded an app, and most smartphone buyers don't consider app availability when buying a smartphone. The importance of apps has been way overrated by geeks and the tech media, but it seems the average buyer isn't that interested. Maybe that will change over time.
  16. #16  
    in most cases i would agree with your statement here, but all you would have to do is search "3/14/11 hp event" and u would have quickly saw that their is a summit with Leo today in San Fran... dont b that guy plz. thx.
  17. #17  
    OK, let me try this again, assume that there will never be an iPhone Nano...

    Quote Originally Posted by clintwinstead View Post
    ...Forget the Veer, it's a joke. There's a reason why no other manufacturer is going smaller...
    The iPhone 4 at 3.85 cubic inches, is smaller overall than the Veer at 4.2 cubis inches. See the Official iPhone 4 vs. HP Pre3 and Veer.

    Small is still a big deal for many.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    [I]The iPhone 4 at 3.85 cubic inches, is smaller overall than the Veer at 4.2 cubis inches. See the Official iPhone 4 vs. HP Pre3 and Veer.
    I really don't think it's a valid comparison to compare the volume of a smartphone with a hardware keyboard to one without. The two form factors are so completely divergent that it's really not even meaningful. Even comparing screen size is dubious at best.
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    It is as if you said that the result a dog and a cat mating was a giraffe. It's so completely wrong, that it's difficult to argue with someone who believes it to be true.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by clintwinstead View Post
    HP/Palm currently finds themselves in kind of a "tech purgatory" with no easy or reasonable solution on the horizon. It's a bit of a chicken or the egg situation.
    On the one hand, if they go ahead and release the new products with the current webOS app landscape, consumers will not take it seriously due to the lack of apps, which is truly what drives the whole mobile experience.
    On the other hand, developers aren't wasting their time or resources on such a small platform, which currently has a small line up of pitiful devices. They basically don't take webOS seriously, and truthfully, who can blame them.
    HP/Palm has to make a decision and very soon. These ridiculously long periods of time between product announcements and product releases has to stop. As usual, they are their own worst enemy.
    It's gonna take a 2 prong attack. 1) throw massive amounts of money at developers to get them on board, then 2) flood the market with the Pre 3 and the Touchpad, in every retail outlet and EVERY carrier. Forget the Veer, it's a joke. There's a reason why no other manufacturer is going smaller...NO BODY WANTS IT. Samsung is currently riding a huge wave of success because THEY did it right. RELEASE TO EVERY CARRIER.
    What say you?
    HP is in tech purgatory because of gradual switch from printed content to digital. HP's strongest position is in slowly collapsing market which is printer market, and they are trying to find new ways to remain leaders. I believe, before end of this decade, printer and ink sales will go down by 50%. Investments made in lightweight Os such is webOS, fold-able displays and cloud technology are signs of tomorrows shape. Instead printed document on paper, we will carry webOS powered folded screens, updated from cloud with new documents, or any content. Smartphones an tablets are only test fields for future products.

Posting Permissions