1.    #1  
    I have been trying out the new T-Mobile MyEmail service, which seems to be a replacement for the old WirelessInbox.

I had previously tried WirelessInbox and quite liked it. But... you could only access your email online by web - you could not use an offline pop3 email client (eg Eudora).

The new MyEmail service seems even better (connection to your Outlook Inbox is really simple) and it seems to support pop3 access (certainly the website gives pop3 and smtp addresses etc..). Here's the problem though: when I try to collect my mail (I'm using Eudora via a GPRS connection) I manage to log in etc. but cannot pick up any messages. The error message I get is "pop3 server does not support TOP extensions". Anyone have any ideas?
    What are the server names that you use (i.e., smtp and pop3)? And are there hand-held-friendly url's you can access this service with through the web?

Thanks.
    Last edited by silverado; 10/06/2002 at 07:14 PM.
  3.    #3  
    The settings you need are set out on the T-Mobile web site:

Mail Server (POP3): myemail.t-mobile.com

User Id: XXXXXXXXXX:NAME@DOMAIN.com

Password: The password you normally use to access this mailbox.

Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP): myemail.t-mobile.com
  4.    #4  
    and in answer to Q2, there is a PDA freindly T-Mobile website, but I couldn't make it work with Blazer. I think some people have said they made it work with Xiino.
    where's_my_treo,

The settings that you specified are for a POP3/SMTP application.
    I don't want to use such an app (waste of Treo memory to store emails locally), the whole point is being able to have a light weight WAP/Web site that will allow access to all these accounts (that's how WirelessInbox was used before MyEmail).

As for accessing T-Mobile internal websites (WAP sites) the problem with Blazer is well knows (still hurts but well...), Blazer uses a Handspring proxy server (it doesn't show up under settings but it's there, hard coded) to compress the images (so when you choose no-images to 16bit the Handspring proxy server actually compress/remove the images).
    The thing is that T-mobile WAP sites are "internal" to the T-Mobile network, while the Handspring server "sits" on the "external" internet. So anyway, the Handspring proxy server can't fetch internal T-Mobile sites...

I guess/hope that when Handspring release the GPRS upgrade for T-Mobile it will also address these issues.
  6.    #6  
    Oh, I'm familiar with the supposed benefits of an online email service. I just prefer an offline (pop3/smtp) service. Mostly this is because I like to do my email on planes (sync just before I get on, do email on plane, sync when I get off) and you can't do that with an online service.

Buy hey, each to his own. I'm happy if T-Mobile just give you the choice. But having played around with this a bit, I strongly suspect that T-Mobile have deliberately configured their POP server to prevent access by a mobile client. They may believe there are solid commercial reasons for this (generates more traffic, easier to support etc.) but I think it is short sighted.

As for accessing the T-Mobile PDA site using Blazer, I have GPRS 1.1 installed and it still doesn't work so I wouldn't hold your breath.
    I'm using eudora on my treo 180 with the T-Mobile MyEmail service without difficulty. checks pop just fine. I don't think anything's "deliberately configured" to keep you from doing it. the T-Mobile MyEmail pages even GIVE you the pop address to use for doing just that.

the T-Mobile PDA site on blazer, however, doesn't work for me.

Originally posted by where's_my_treo
    Oh, I'm familiar with the supposed benefits of an online email service. I just prefer an offline (pop3/smtp) service. Mostly this is because I like to do my email on planes (sync just before I get on, do email on plane, sync when I get off) and you can't do that with an online service.

Buy hey, each to his own. I'm happy if T-Mobile just give you the choice. But having played around with this a bit, I strongly suspect that T-Mobile have deliberately configured their POP server to prevent access by a mobile client. They may believe there are solid commercial reasons for this (generates more traffic, easier to support etc.) but I think it is short sighted.

As for accessing the T-Mobile PDA site using Blazer, I have GPRS 1.1 installed and it still doesn't work so I wouldn't hold your breath.
    Originally posted by hyperenough
    I'm using eudora on my treo 180 with the T-Mobile MyEmail service without difficulty. checks pop just fine. I don't think anything's "deliberately configured" to keep you from doing it. the T-Mobile MyEmail pages even GIVE you the pop address to use for doing just that.

the T-Mobile PDA site on blazer, however, doesn't work for me.

Are you using Eudora Web or or Eudora Mail? I found the info for the POP and SMTP addresses, but what's the web URL to read the mail without downloading it?

Thanks.
    sorry, i'm using Eudora mail, not EudoraWeb.

Why not download it? You can configure eudora to leave your messages on the server, then you can just have it download the last say, 10-20 messages on mail check (to avoid an interminable connection time).
    Originally posted by hyperenough
    sorry, i'm using Eudora mail, not EudoraWeb.

Why not download it? You can configure eudora to leave your messages on the server, then you can just have it download the last say, 10-20 messages on mail check (to avoid an interminable connection time).
    I could download POP mail from the source; I don't need T-Mobile's MyEmail to get it.

Web mail has its advantages... It would be nice channeling POP mail through MyEmail would allow access non-web email via a nice PDA-friendly interface. More importantly, it would allow accessing MS Exchange calendar and mail via the web, which is not possible using POP downloads.
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    I have my email settings for the myemail service from TMO, but I can't connect to the servers. Is it out or am I doing something wrong? Any advice?
  12.    #12  
    Are you getting the "does not support TOP extensions" error message or something else?
    Originally posted by josendo
    I have my email settings for the myemail service from TMO, but I can't connect to the servers. Is it out or am I doing something wrong? Any advice?
    Do you mean you you are setup for POP access or is there another way to access this through T-Mobile web pages via Blazer?