1.    #1  
    So I know for awhile now since the Webos marketshare numbers started to decline, some people on here see it either a negative, or a positive. My question is with companies like Microsoft, and RIM still loosing more marketshare then Webos, and has have new products out within the last 6 months, does Webos marketshare not dropping so fast matter? To me even though they are loosing consumers, with the dozens of new devices that have come out within the last year or so, its hard not to notice that people still prefer to keep their Webos devices (or those with Palm OS). This again shows not only a loyal crowd, but also the difference Webos gives these consumers who have decided to stay put. I for one have tried the compeitors and have found that even though the hardware lacks, and dosen't have thousands of Applications to choose from, the overall user experiance cannot be duplicated on any other platform. What is anyones thoughts on this?

comScore Reports January 2011 U.S. Mobile Subscriber Market Share - comScore, Inc
    Last edited by wellwellwell11; 03/08/2011 at 12:00 PM. Reason: add to the title name
    the trick is to not compare companies to each other, but to the market.

What I mean by that is that even rapid growth is decline if it is less than the overall market.

For example, you see Apple with a tiny bit of growth. That's bad because the size of the market grew by a lot. Unless a company is gaining share faster than the rate of overall market growth. I used to work for a company that always bragged about double-digit growth (i.e. more than 10%) year over year. But the market doubled or tripled during several years in a row. Eventually the biggest competitor was more than 10 times the size of this silly little company bragging about sequential growth.

The question I have about the comScore numbers is how it reflects actual phones in use vs. phones sold, etc. If people decide to try an iPhone, then return it and go back to their blackberry or Treo, how is that reflected? When I toggle back and forth between phones on my account (between Centro/Pre+/Pre2) what does that look like? When my daughter dumped my WinMo Treo (craptastic 700wx) for a feature phone, where/when does that show up?

Do you have a link that explains what they are tracking, and how they come up with these numbers? I have a bad feeling that the "Palm" number that is "holding steady" is actually the remaining Treo/Centro population and webOS population mixed together. Dunno.
    At least webOS stills.

Might mean loyal community is holding their breath and will depend as Cantaffordit said on what will HP do with marketing and bringing new devices from time to time.
    Could be either. Considering there has been no real action on the hardware front in almost 2 years (I count the Pre + and the P2 as 'spec bumps'), the fact they are still on the radar is a plus.

However, in numbers, they are losing - both in market share and users. It's up to HP to do something about that. I have no fear that it can be done. There is still lots of growth ahead and buying a phone is not buying a car, there is much movement between platforms. At worst, every two years and for some around here every six months.

The question is will they? Do they have the stomach for the battle? The Palm approach so far has reminded me of a battle between the old sailing ships of old pulling alongside the enemy and firing a cannonball. (The slow iterative upgrades as if the competition is only capable of doing the same)

In the meanwhile, the competitive landscape has move to something more akin to modern Destroyer class vessels (soon to go nuclear). Some of the problems were definitely financial, but that doesn't stop the clock from running. HP, even if late, has to come strong when their stuff finally hits the market and the updates need to come regularly.
    "Sometimes I feel like an OS-less child..."
    (with apologies to Billie Holiday )
    Lol love the analogy c-note.

There's not much to lose when you have practically nothing in the first place:/

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
  6.    #6  
    I agree and def see the conflict in the numbers they are refering to. As considering the .01 increase with apple being maybe 10's to 100's of thousands still, though I still would think that if thats the case then Google is gaining 100's of thousands a quarter. I say that because otherwise if it was seen as so, regardless of how much Google would have gained every Quarter they wouldnt lead right now in market share. Again im not sure either what the numbers consist of, but I do think if Palm is still holding their ground in market share with no new products in almost 2 years its a very good thing.
  7. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    All of the different measuring companies have their different measures and methodologies - each of which has it's benefits and flaws. The best approach is a meta one and to see if the broad trends all point to the same thing. Currently, I think the two big trends and stories are:

1) Android is still seeing massive growth that does not seem to slowing and shows no indication of showing in the near future

2) Windows 7 has been a flop and it's really hard to see how it's going to get traction.

In regards to "Palm", it's actually not clear what that is measuring so it's hard to say what the numbers actually mean.
    I suppose the numbers are better than zero... I think it shows that Palms remaining base is pretty loyal (or just waiting to upgrade).

other than that, I don't see any 'good'
    I think that webOS is still holding on just shows how many people who still have webOS phones either still like their phone, can't upgrade (to phones on another platform) yet, or don't know upgrading is an option.
    The next three months will be telling as to how loyal the webOS base is. These results polls were taken prior to the "Big" HP event, that many of us feel was a disaster. With no new phones other than the little Veer coming out before the next poll is taken I would expect (based on the comments and the overall reduced participation in these threads) that Palm will actually lose a substantial amount of marketshare.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    I think that webOS is still holding on just shows how many people who still have webOS phones either still like their phone, can't upgrade (to phones on another platform) yet, or don't know upgrading is an option.
    lol but that would really be reaching though, lets face it only can be the first one listed. The last device launched was the Pre 2 in Oct Nov overseas (besides VZ version which isnt considered in Comscore yet), before that AT&T launched it last june or so, besides the new AT&T users and the handful of Pre 2 users overseas, im pretty sure the sprint, and VZ users were well within their upgrade window. Second im pretty sure most people with smartphones know all about upgrades so no at this point if people have a Pre, Pixi, or Pre 2 they want to keep it because they like you said prefer it, or are waiting to upgrade to something else thats obviously not launched on their paticular carrier yet.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by zulfaqar621 View Post
    The next three months will be telling as to how loyal the webOS base is. These results polls were taken prior to the "Big" HP event, that many of us feel was a disaster. With no new phones other than the little Veer coming out before the next poll is taken I would expect (based on the comments and the overall reduced participation in these threads) that Palm will actually lose a substantial amount of marketshare.
    well even if you assume most think it was a disaster ( I myself didnt at all) as you stated, which is a good point, we wont dont know what the mindshare is currently. Also of course considering what, if any Pre 2 sales for Verizon was utilized too.
    I like that webOS marketshare has stagnated in a hugely accelerating market (meaning that webOS has been adding users) even though there was no new hardware between Jan 2010 (Pre Plus) and Feb 2011 (Pre 2), and absolutely no marketing I'm aware of.

In contrast, I'm really surprised at how hardcore WinPho7 has failed - they're losing users in droves despite a volley of devices and a huge marketing push.

It's also interesting that Apple, who is incessantly running commercials and who is nothing if not iconic, has stagnated. Looks like the late 80s all over again if you ask me, only that Windows is now called Android.
    Last edited by GodShapedHole; 03/10/2011 at 03:37 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    I like that webOS marketshare has stagnated in a hugely accelerating market (meaning that webOS has been adding users) even though there was no new hardware between Jan 2010 (Pre Plus) and Feb 2011 (Pre 2), and absolutely no marketing I'm aware of.
    Pre Plus: AT&T, May 2010
    Pre 2: France, Oct 2010

So additional attempts at growth throughout the year.
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    In contrast, I'm really surprised at how hardcore WinPho7 has failed - they're losing users in droves despite a volley of devices and a huge marketing push.
    It definitely doesn't help when an OTA update bricks your phone.
    its actually good given that there was really no new hardware released and basically no marketing or PRPRPR.