Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    dennis3232 -- I don't blame you for giving up on the count, let's just hope that you and others don't have to keep going thru these replacements. Did your unit come in a Handspring box just like your first device? The rep told me that's one indication a unit is new.

Like you and griff said, we'll see if these new devices will last MUCH longer
    Originally posted by Treo96
    Did your unit come in a Handspring box just like your first device? The rep told me that's one indication a unit is new.
    Unfortunately, it doesn't mean anything because all my replacement treos came in a box with all the wrapping and all!

Day 2 and works like a charm.

A friend who bought a new Treo last Sunday (from an authorized dealer, like a good boy) saw his unit' screen die today.
    Welcome to the club!!
    Global Posts
    210 Global Posts
    I'm on my 4th 180g -
    1 - I don't even remember anymore
    2 - dead radio on arrival
    3 - speaker cut in and out frequently
    4 - famed 180/270 speaker problem, simply dead

I managed to get them to replace the 180 with a 270 for number 5, brand new. They SAID that policy was to charge $200, but I badgered them a lot. Even so, after no result I said I would pay the $200, and gave them a credit card number.

The email invoice said "Amount to be charged - $0.00"

We'll have to wait and see :-)
    First Treo, about 6 months old. Dead speaker. I'll have to let you know about #2 in a few days. (assuming they are going to replace it)
    Originally posted by sck18
    I'm on my 4th 180g -
    1 - I don't even remember anymore
    2 - dead radio on arrival
    3 - speaker cut in and out frequently
    4 - famed 180/270 speaker problem, simply dead

I managed to get them to replace the 180 with a 270 for number 5, brand new. They SAID that policy was to charge $200, but I badgered them a lot. Even so, after no result I said I would pay the $200, and gave them a credit card number.

The email invoice said "Amount to be charged - $0.00"

We'll have to wait and see :-)
    How did you manage to get them to change it to 270? Did they charge you for the upgrade?

It would be great if I could do that here. Color seems like a good choice after those endless monochrome pdas i had over all these years. I hope the change of model wouldn't cost me a bomb over here. Things tend to get more expensive where I'm at.
    Four dead speakers and counting.
    First Treo 300 arrived with a bad digitizer...worked for a few minutes and then stopped accepting stylus input. Have had the replacement for a month now and it has worked flawlessly.
    3 Treo 180's
    4 Treo 270's here!!

#1 180 Speaker went dead only worked if lid was opened slightly
    #2 180 Display went dead
    #3 180 ok so far

#1 270 Backlight problem
    #2 270 Radio problem preventing GPRS connection
    #3 270 Headset Jack Disconnecting calls
    #4 270 problem going dead and hard ressetting Losing all data

(I still have the unit disconnecting calls with the head set) I returned units 1,2, & 4 I am waiting for another replacement before i turn in unit 3)

All in all I will Have 5 Treo 270's since this maddness started. Like all i love this thing WHEN ITS WORKING. handspring cs has been very understanding. i just wish the product wasnt so buggy!
    180g - Arrived with bad SIMM door, replacement unit working fine.

180 - Arrived with dead radio, replacement unit had bad SIMM door, second replacement unit working fine.

270 - Arrived with backlight issue, replacement unit working fine.

SIMM door is a joke. Can't figure out why they didn't just use a sled for the SIMM, as is found in millions of existing GSM phones.

I think they rushed to market without good QC in place. On the one hand we can complain about the QC, on the other hand, I think the early adopters should expect such problems. This is not a mature and stable product category.

HRB
    Having just bought, I'm certainly interested to know if it is true there are unusual problems. But you know what--out of a couple of hundred thousand units sold, a few dozen people complaining does not prove much. Those who are unhappy tend to complain; it does not create any statistically valid measure in and of itself without reference to other companies/products/complaint rates.
    Originally posted by Mark Squires
    But you know what--out of a couple of hundred thousand units sold, a few dozen people complaining does not prove much.
    Every Treo 180 will fail eventually, due to the stupid design of the way the speaker cable goes through the hinge. If you have a 180 that hasn't failed yet, it is just a matter of time.

I'm very happy with mine (when it's working).
    Oh come on. You know how many devices have wires going through hinges?

All flip phones.
    Car doors.
    LCD screens on camcorders/digicams.
    Etc.

What you're saying is equivalent to saying "All Treo 180s will fail because they use rechargable batteries which will die eventually." It may be true but the time frame is so long it's meaningless.
    1st- Speaker Death
    2nd- Oversized Stylus Holster

Not optimistic about my chances with this one...
    Treo #1 Speaker Problem
    Treo #2 Corrupt screen / crashy
    Treo #3 OK so far (first week)
  15. KBS
    I am waiting on my first 270 replacement because of a dead radio. The unit was exactly a week old when the phone died. I insisted on a new phone and was assured that it would be a new unit, but how will I be able to tell if it really is new?

Thanks!
    #1: Dead backlight - 2 weeks
    #2: Dead backlight - 1 month
    #3: Fine - 2 months...
    Originally posted by KBS
    I am waiting on my first 270 replacement because of a dead radio. The unit was exactly a week old when the phone died. I insisted on a new phone and was assured that it would be a new unit, but how will I be able to tell if it really is new?
    From my own experience:
    Packaging.

Units 3 and 4 were reconditionned. I noticed that the way they were put in the box (and the box itself) was not the same as when they are brand new.
    Good luck!
    Originally posted by KRamsauer
    Oh come on. You know how many devices have wires going through hinges?

All flip phones.
    Car doors.
    LCD screens on camcorders/digicams.
    Etc.

What you're saying is equivalent to saying "All Treo 180s will fail because they use rechargable batteries which will die eventually." It may be true but the time frame is so long it's meaningless.
    No, the previous poster is right. If you saw HOW the wires go through the hinge, you'd know too. It isn't just the fact that the wires go through the hinge, it is that they go through a SLOT in the hinge. This slot acts like a pair of scissors. Like the man said, it's only a matter of time.
    pc mike
    ------------------------------------------------
    Handspring Visor Deluxe
    Casio E-125 (replaced under warr) 2x
    Casio E-200
    Compaq Aero 1550
    Compaq Aero 2130
    Handspring Treo 180g (warr repl, spkr prob)
    T-Mobile PPC (replaced 3x)
    Palm m505
    Handspring Treo 180g (again)
    (Wife: "What, are you collecting these things...?")
    Early Adopter: Another name for Beta Tester
    Matt 16:15-16
    Treo 300. Volume quality poor!!!! Sometimes can't hear and have to plug in headset, even when on loudest volume!!!

Could be headset plug problem, where even though the headset is removed, the treo doesn't recognize it!! Sometimes you have to insert and remove the headset multiple times.
    Last edited by hshimans; 01/17/2003 at 08:52 AM.
    1st Treo 180
    -Infamous speaker wire problem 8 mo's later
    -Refurbished 1 1/2 mo's & it seems to crash at least once/day for no apparent reason, no new apps added. I'm guessing this one will die soon.
    glenn
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast