Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    "its highly unlikely that it or any PDA will ever be as problem prone as the Treos are."

First, all Treos are not made equal. People who bought the orginal Treo 180 had a different reliability experience than people who bought the Treo 300 which came out 5 months later. Since you had a Treo 180, your experience is not identical to others who bought more recent products.

Second, if you look around you at the competition, reliability problems for convergent devices are commonplace. These devices are so much more complex than the previous generation of cellphones, that the bugs haven't been worked out of the system. That takes time. Your suggestion that Kyocera's previous experience with the 6035 will allow them to introduce the new phone without problems makes little sense to me. Again I think it a terrible bet to suggest that the reilability of the new untested 7135 will exceed the reliability of a Treo 300 for example. I guess we will find out.
    Originally posted by rvwink
    [BSecond, if you look around you at the competition, reliability problems for convergent devices are commonplace. These devices are so much more complex than the previous generation of cellphones, that the bugs haven't been worked out of the system. That takes time. [/B]
    I couldn't agree less!
    I own a Treo for about four months now, and I'm the 'happy' owner of my seventh exchanged device!
    The screen of my new Treo (4 weeks old) went black for 10 minutes this morning!
    Eighth Treo on the way...

Before Treo, I had a Nokia 9210, a Motorola A008, an Ericsson R380 among many others that I don't care to remember!
    And, guess what?, I never had to return any of those!
    They always worked perfectly straight out from the box.

So, sorry but I dont believe - from my own experience - that "reliability problems for convergent devices are common place".
    Or at least not to the extend of the Treo.

As I said many times before, Treo is a great device on paper but is far to meet expectations in real life.
    I'll replace it as soon as I find a new device which will meet my basic requirements... and minimum reliability.
    Originally posted by dennis3232
    I'll replace it as soon as I find a new device which will meet my basic requirements... and minimum reliability.
    Hey Dennis. If you really wait for the new units to prove their reliability, it may take you a substantial period of time before you replace your Treo. Btw, aren't you attached to the Treo keyboard by now? Also do you have a Treo 180 or a Treo 270 presently?

Regards,

Btw, aren't you attached to the Treo keyboard by now? Also do you have a Treo 180 or a Treo 270 presently?
    I have a Treo 270.

I love the Treo keyboard!

As I said before, I don't feel it would be that difficult to find a device more reliable than the Treo that proved (and proving again, I'm afraid) that it is not a reliable unit.

On the other hand, I've have been doing some home work the past few days to replace Treo (my unit screen is slowly dying with more and more blackouts. Don't feel like going thru an exchange process. Again).
    I must say that I haven't seen in shops where I live or anywhere else in the entire world thru the Internet (except maybe somewhere in Asia, but they don't ship overseas their device that seems to be very interesting. Unfortunately I don't remember the name) that matches today Treo.
    And I'm talking Palm, Pocket PC or Linus OSes-base units!

The HP Jornada 928 Pocket PC sounded very interesting, but it was discontinued even before it really hited the shelves.
    And Sony Eticsson P800 is still not available, while Palm Tungsten W GSM/GPRS... well, you know!
    In other words, today there is no match to Treo 270.

Why couldn't they make it more reliable? Why?
    I was getting nervous reading these post (which I think is a GREAT idea btw) until I noticed something was missing......complaints about the Treo 300. I'm a newbie and have had mine for about 3 weeks now, it works flawlessly! I contacted Sprint to tell them I wanted to return it because it is a single-band phone. They sent me the package to return it in butI JUST CANT DO IT! I love this phone.
    shawn:

The 300 is still new, relatively, give it time. Or maybe, just maybe, they finally got it right. Who knows?
    Why couldn't they make it more reliable? Why?
    Are there people contributing to this thread who have had problems with relatively recent Treo 270s or can most of the troublesome units be traced to Shipments in July and August? It appears that Hand did succeed in making the Treo 300 more reliable. Perhaps the more recent new Treo 270s are more reliable as well. That fact is not clear. Wonder if people with problems with recent Treo 270s could mention this fact on this thread.

Unfortunately the pool of replacement Treo 270s is logically from the early construction period so the users on this thread keep getting recycled units and can never get truly upgraded. My suggestion to you Dennis is that you try and insist on getting a newer replacement from Hand instead of another contribution from what is likely the earlier pool of defective units. Not saying you can do it, just that it seems to make sense to try.
    Just read the last few posts on this thread. Surprising to read all the horror stories on breakdown of Treos.

Here's my experience: I've owned a Treo 270 since the end of June when it was first released and I have not had any major problems. GPRS upgrade worked like a charm. I know of a couple of other 270 owners who love their 270's as well.

I'm guessing that Treo problems represent only a very small fraction of all Treos sold worldwide and the only unusual thing is that those who have faulty Treos are constantly getting faulty replacement units.

The majority of us who are not having hardware problems with the Treos generally do not post messages on forums like this (except for me, right now) since there are no issues to bring up. Thus people may mistakenly think that faulty Treos are the norm rather than the exception when reading into these forums.

Given the form factor, the Treo is to me, the best convergence device there is out there right now (until maybe when the SonyEricsson P800 is released?). I love my Treo and thought I should say it.
    Hmmm very interesting to read all the varying opinions/perspectives. I'm not as technically well-versed as many of the board members here but here's my opinion: I truly love my Treo 180--like I said, it's my first one which I bought in late Feb. It meets my needs so I'd rather not switch to another device/devices. But as an individual consumer, I should atleast try to be as aware as possible IF in fact there truly and honestly is a flaw in the product; more important, I should excercise my consumer rights if I do have a defective product. IF the earlier Treos are discovered (post-shipment) to have a defect, one way for HS and the consumers to be aware is for consumers to report it and for HS to document these cases and investigate further. Yes, there are a number of Treocentral board members that are experiencing the problems and others who are not. I do wonder how many cases are reported by non board members? An interesting thought really.

Meanwhile, I'm awaiting a call from a HS Rep to discuss my request for a new (not refurbished) unit. I made that request when I called & spoke to a cust. svc. person who, btw, admitted to getting lots of calls regarding the speaker problem. He readily offered the refurb, but I expressed my doubts with the refurb. Without hesitation, he forwarding my issue to a Rep who is responsible for handling new device replacements. I'm hoping I do get a new device that is built with the problems taken into account. We'll see what happens.

And no, I didn't have to pay $19 some dollars for the tech support call considering I'm way passed the 90-day Warranty period.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Originally posted by cywong
    The majority of us who are not having hardware problems with the Treos generally do not post messages on forums like this (except for me, right now) since there are no issues to bring up. Thus people may mistakenly think that faulty Treos are the norm rather than the exception when reading into these forums.
    I agree. I have been lurking since Oct 2000 and a member since December of that same year. My number of posts is very low because I haven't had much to say. What is there to say when everything works like it is suppose to? I've had a Deluxe, Prism, and now a 300.

The worst experience of everything was GeoDiscovery and their failure. That time period was where most of my posts came from and the original reason for me to join this site. I have picked up my posts since purchasing the the 300, but that's only because I love this thing.

--Dave
    Treo 180

Treo # 1 : Speaker dead after 4 months.

Awaiting replacement.
    Last edited by Shuvit; 12/13/2002 at 01:27 AM.
    My suggestion to you Dennis is that you try and insist on getting a newer replacement from Hand instead of another contribution from what is likely the earlier pool of defective units. Not saying you can do it, just that it seems to make sense to try.
    Believe me, I tried to get a new replacement instead of a refurbished one.
    I even believed that the last I got - when was that? 5 or 6 weeks ago? - was a new one, out of the box.
    Call me unlucky if you will!

I wonder what the return ratio rate is.
    According to a couple of friends who sell Treo in different countries (Europe and Middle East), it is quite high.
    Does anyone have the 'official figures'?
    Reporting from Malaysia.

The return rate is quite high over here.

The distributor were out of stock of replacement models, they already ordered for another 30 Treos and the waiting list is already full. I hope I'll get mine as soon as the first shipment arrives.

One thing that bothers me is why they don't upgrade the changes they did on 270 or 300 models on the 180 models.

There are still demands for it and unless Handspring drops down the price on later models, people would still see 180 as the most economical choice.

I would love to see Treo 180 with backlight keyboard and improved hardware, it'll be more more cost effective instead of replacing every single faulty 180s out there.

BTW, are most of the replacements are refurbished products? Any chance they'll replace you with a new one?
    Originally posted by Shuvit
    BTW, are most of the replacements are refurbished products? Any chance they'll replace you with a new one?
    I just received my third replacement. The first two were refurbs, this one was new. They also seem to have forgotten to include a box/shipping label to ship the old one back in. I'm going to call them tomorrow and find out if they even want it back. What may have happened, since they sent a new one, is it shipped from elsewhere and they sent the box separately.

Anyway, it seems it is possible to get a new one. When I called them, they said they couldn't immediately issue a replacement - they had to contact some other department, which was closed for the day - because it was my third. They said I would get a call the next day. They never called, so I called back and they said a replacement had been issued. I wasn't expecting a new one.

It's convenient, because I have a 270 on the way, and now have a new 180 to sell instead of my old beatup one.
    Hmm, I'll ask them when they already have my replacement ready for pickup. I was wondering whether they would upgrade it to 270 with some additional amount of money.. If it's more than what I expected, I'm probably stuck with a 180 model and bare another 2-3 replacements and parking tickets. *sigh*

Thanks.
    Bought the treo 270 a couple of months back in Switzerland. Love it although I have had the following problems.

1st unit: bad charger. So couldnt use it for a couple of days until I can get time to go to replace it.

2nd unit: worked fine for a month, then the screen went bzzzrk.

3rd unit: Just got it. Will test it tonite.

One of the main problems that put me off using it regularly is connectivity.

No softwares or support for Linux. (primary OS) Will try usbvisor to sync.

No software or support for MacOSX (secondary OS) Although got it working with PalkDesktop 4.

Seems sad that Microsoft even does not have to trap us to stay in their monopoly since vendor of other devices now tie us to their(MS) system.

Sad sad sad.

Other than that. cool device, love the design. Handsprings was the first to get it right (embed the phone in the PDA and not vice-versa) keep up the good work.
    Originally posted by razorpit
    My number of posts is very low because I haven't had much to say. What is there to say when everything works like it is suppose to?
    I agree! I've lurked since 11/27/02 when my Treo 180 speaker finally gave out on me, and have registered just days ago to post re: my unit problem issues. Hopefully I'll continue even with my problem-free unit *cross fingers*. Well, I finally received a callback from HS and YES I'm getting a new replacement afterall.
    Believe me, I tried to get a new replacement instead of a refurbished one.
    Hey Dennis...that's unfortunate. They didn't seem to hesitate my requesting for a new unit. Right off the bat, I stated that I was well-aware of other Treo owners experiencing the same problem as me, but I further argued that many have had to go thru even more refurb replacements (up to 6). I expressed my concern that I'll likely be another constant refurb replacement case. So let's just save both you and me the hassel and issue me a new unit.

It seems HS is more readily willing to give new unit replacements as of late. I'm sure they have subtantial problem "documentation" and has had just about enough. I also believe HS is beginning to realize it's really costing them more to hand out numerous refurb replacements per customer. Who knows...just my honest speculation...I could very well be wrong.
    Last edited by Treo96; 12/13/2002 at 07:53 PM.
    Originally posted by madmag
    No softwares or support for Linux. (primary OS) Will try usbvisor to sync.
    I've been using my Treo 180 with Linux since I got it - with the pilot-tools package. No real "syncing" exactly, but I use it to install apps and backup the whole unit.

For sync capability, jpilot seems to work pretty well, but I find pilot-tools to be enough for me.

The only times I've connected it in Windows was to install the GPRS upgrade.
    Originally posted by Treo96
    It seems HS is more readily willing to give new unit replacements as of late. I'm sure they have subtantial problem "documentation" and has had just about enough. I also believe HS is beginning to realize it's really costing them more to hand out numerous refurb replacements per customer. Who knows...just my honest speculation...I could very well be wrong.
    I fully agree.
    This continuous unit exchange policy must cost Handspring a fortune.
    Does anyone have more precise information on that issue?

I received today my nth (I don't care to count anymore!) exchanged device.
    For information, the GPRS patch wasn't applied.
    On the hand, I believe it is a new unit because the screen is of a much better quality:
    So vivid, colors so bright!
    I didn't know, for instance, that LauncherX default skin had so beautiful colors!

Let's see how long this device will last...
    I received my 4th replacement today. This time they did issue me a new 270. GPRS wast pre-installed (nor was rechoecho). On day 2 and so far so good...2 screens died and the last one had a problem with the headset. Love the treo...just hope this one doesn't literally "fade" away...
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast