Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I've noticed since I got my Treo 270 that it has a sort of "AutoComplete" feature whereby one may type a word followed by a space.. say "wont " and it is automatically changed to "won't " (with an apostrophe) or if you type "i " it is then replaced with "I ". This is a great time-saving feature.

Is there a way to either edit the list of auto-corrected words and/or add to them? If not, this would also be an excellent enhancement. All of my old shortcuts could be executed. For example, typing "dts" for [Date Time Stamp] or "os" for "On site support".

Any ideas?
    Ahhh... yes there is.
    There is a hack called (funny enough) CorrectHack ...you will need Hackmaster or Xmaster to run Hacks.

You can add as many words as you like and it works great in SMS (and works seamlessly with the Treo autocorrect). Basically, stick in your shortcut eg. 2n and the word you want it to resolve to eg tonight. Now every time you type 2n and hit the space bar the word tonight will appear - with a space after it so you can just continue typing - Works in Memo app too. Neato!

I have corrects such as 2n (tonight) b4 (before) etc. Really saves on the typing.

Causes a conflict with DocsToGo (requires a soft reset) so if you use this app, disable CorrectHack first.

It's shareware but worth it
    Last edited by nzmoko; 10/22/2002 at 05:03 AM.
    Anthony,

Treo's autocorrect has about 200 words in it. A hundred or so popular contractions. A hundred or so common spelling mistakes. mo=month min=minute etc. It's not customizable.

CorrectHack is great but does not do time and date. Pop!+PopApp (digitalglyph.com) creates a popup shortcut list that can be triggered by opt-hardbutton with Treo button. This does time and date as well as categories, but requires a screen press to insert an entry.

You can also use the built in Palm ShortCuts: s, list key, tap the shortcut symbol, dts gets you the time date stamp.
    I find this feature frustrating because it can not be customized. I live in Illinois and any address I enter into the Treo of a local friend or colleague will have the state's abbreviation in it: IL, however the Treo always turns it into "I'll". Also if I enter an email address, even if I'm certain that I didnot capitalize the first letter of the address, the Treo does that for me - often leading to an invalid email address.

Conrad
    Conrad, this is silly. Evidently you don't have a Treo and you've been misled about or misunderstood the auto-complete feature. If you decide to get one, you'll love it and you'll find that your Illinois contacts will all read IL and your emails will enter as small-caps -unless, of course, you choose otherwise and use the shift key.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    Originally posted by Rodolfo
    Conrad, this is silly. Evidently you don't have a Treo and you've been misled about or misunderstood the auto-complete feature. If you decide to get one, you'll love it and you'll find that your Illinois contacts will all read IL and your emails will enter as small-caps -unless, of course, you choose otherwise and use the shift key.
    No, he's right. I own a Treo 270 and live in Illinois and while it's smart enough to not try and capitalize e-mail addresses, it does try to turn "IL" into "I'll" when I type it into the state field in my contacts. This is annoying but it is easily avoided if I immediately use one of the arrow keys to switch to another field after I type "IL."
  7.    #7  
    Well I love the Auto-complete. I just wish I could customize. As I mentioned in another thread, I use a hack called CorrectHack and it allows me to do a similar thing except I can customize it.

UNDO CORRECTION:
    I don't know whether you are aware, but the if you want to reverse the auto-correction that the Treo has done. Just hit the backspace key and it will undo the correction.. pretty nifty.. same as Word really.
    CorrectHack (palmgear shareware) doesn't conflict with the autocorrect feature. You can add corrections to it, as well as abbreviations. It can function as an automatic version of Shortcuts. For instance, mine is set so that ".c" inserts "http://www.com". You can even insert short "form letters" into CorrectHack, making information that you regularly repeat abbreviated as 2 characters.

Anthony,

It's double backspace to undo.
    Hello everybody! How do i deactivate auto-complete? Coz i use a lot of non-english words in sms and the auto-complete feature sometimes try to convert it into something else which is a hassle. Thanks very much.
    To my knowledge you can't disable it. They made it's function limited so it wouldn't interfere in most lives. As a matter of fact, HS doesn't even announce it's in the system. I think you're stuff with double backspacing any "corrections" it makes for you.
    Too bad. Anyway its ok, it just a minor inconvenience considering the other functions that the treo provides. Thanks J. Kevin.

Originally posted by J. Kevin Wolfe
    To my knowledge you can't disable it. They made it's function limited so it wouldn't interfere in most lives. As a matter of fact, HS doesn't even announce it's in the system. I think you're stuff with double backspacing any "corrections" it makes for you.
    Originally posted by DarthRepublican

No, he's right. I own a Treo 270 and live in Illinois and while it's smart enough to not try and capitalize e-mail addresses, it does try to turn "IL" into "I'll" when I type it into the state field in my contacts. This is annoying but it is easily avoided if I immediately use one of the arrow keys to switch to another field after I type "IL."
    Sorry, guys, but here's what happens on mine (BTW, I'm from Chicago, so I have lots of IL contacts). I just entered the City and State for a contact where I only had a telephone entered with the name: When I entered c under City, it autocompleted Chicago, and when I entered i, it auto-completed IL. On another one, I just entered i under State, and it autocompleted IL. Honest! So, what gives? What do other 270 types get? Do I have a charmed unit?
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    Originally posted by Rodolfo

Sorry, guys, but here's what happens on mine (BTW, I'm from Chicago, so I have lots of IL contacts). I just entered the City and State for a contact where I only had a telephone entered with the name: When I entered c under City, it autocompleted Chicago, and when I entered i, it auto-completed IL. On another one, I just entered i under State, and it autocompleted IL. Honest! So, what gives? What do other 270 types get? Do I have a charmed unit?
    Mine does the same thing but I think you'll find that if you press the Spacebar after it auto-completes "IL" while the L in "IL" is still highlighted, it will do another auto-complete, this time changing the "IL" to "I'll". This is what my 270 does.
  14.    #14  
    One thing to be aware of with CorrectHack is that it constantly crashes my Treo 270 with the following error message:

MemoryMgr.c, Line:3036, Chunk over-locked <Reset>

The only outcome is a soft reset! If I do a lot of typing, I'll get the error 3 to 4 times a day and depending on the application, I have re-key the entry... very frustrating.

I sent an email to the author (Matt) of CorrectHack advising him of the bug. I told him he had a great product and with a few enhancements, he could do alright. I also placed a link to this discussion group. However I got no response.

It is possible that this could be clashing with some other application(s) that I have installed. (I'm suspicious of WordComplete... great software that displays a popup dictionary as you type). I will try disabling this to see if that is causing the problem with CorrectHack.

Does anyone else have this trouble?
    Maybe Handspring doesn't announce this feature cause it's not there? Could it be coming from some other application you're running on your Treo? I've had my Treo 270 since June, and it's never once offered to complete a word, capitalize an "I" or correct a spelling...in SMS, address book, memos...or anywhere else. Then again, maybe mine is somehow turned off. BUT...if mine can be turned off, so can elias_ejmr...or anyone else.

Any thoughts on that?
  16.    #16  
    Alli, read the previous entries in this thread!

It sounds like there's either something you're doing wrong or there's something wrong or different with your Treo 270. Everyone else's seems to AutoCorrect text.

Once again, from any application (not Docs to Go.. as it hangs) just type any of the following examples followed by a <space> (not including angle brackets):

<mo > is corrected to <month >
    <yr > is corrected to <year >
    <i > is corrected to <I >
    <cant > is corrected to <can't >
    <il > is corrected to <i'll >

Pressing a <backspace> twice, reverses the correction.
    If the autocomplete is part of the Treo...how could I be doing something wrong?
    Alli,

If you type "dont" followed by a space and you're not getting "don't" then you're the first person I've heard of who's autocorrect isn't working. Do you have any hacks or text apps installed that could be conflicting?

Darth,

Independent of Treo's autocorrect is Palm's autocomplete. It's been in the OS since at least 3.5. It scans your city database in your addressbook and tries to match what you're typing, much like desktop web browsers try to complete the web address for you. It does the same in some of the other address fields.

I know it's there because I've seen it work before. But at the moment I can't figure out how to trigger it on my Edge or Treo.
    Well don't I feel foolish now.... In my never ending quest for perfection <insert laugh track here> I've never left out the apostrophy or not hit cap for I. I just went into my SMS and tried it, and by god...I've been working too hard at this! Now I'll have to go find one of these hacks that allows me to add other spelling shortcuts!
    Originally posted by DarthRepublican

It does if you type a space after IL, it doesn't if you tap on the next field (or hit the jogdial to move to the next field).
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast