Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    834 Global Posts
    I had been kind of drooling over a touchpad until the thing yesterday.

I was naturally bummed after the presentation.

But I got to thinking. Honestly. What the hell do I need a tablet for anyway? Its almost like an epiphany.

I spend 90-95% of my time either at home or at work. I have a very nice computer in both places.

Is it to show off pictures? I can easily do that on my monitor or TV.

Its just an extravagance, really.

I don't travel that much. When I do, I usually have my laptop (currently a nice thinkpad 400s). If I'm going to do some work at these times it is generally much better done on that. I don't think I'd ever want to edit code without a real keyboard. Heck I don't think I'd want to run stuff from a command line without a real keyboard.

Its fine for watching a movie as well.

I'm trying to run down scenarios in which I'd be really like to have a tablet.

I go to this one convention (dragoncon) each year and I do a lot of activities there where it would probably be nice. If I could rent a touchpad for this 4 day event I might look in to that.

I get stuck in meetings a fair amount, and I have an old windows xp tablet slate (Fujitsu stylistic) with a stylus. I mainly use it to take notes at these meetings. This is something I don't think I could do as easily with any of the stylus-less tablets. I normally scribble my notes with a stylus, this is more natural for me and I frequently sketch diagrams relevant to what I'm taking notes on. Again, this is something that is a lot better with a stylus. No, this tablet is not sexy, it has a front-lit display (designed for outdoor use) that is quite dim, and its standby battery is maybe good for a day. But it works in the context of a note taking device.

I honestly think I would sooner just take a pad and paper for notes than try tapping away on a virtual keyboard at a meeting.

The last situational use is as a reader. I do like to read a lot and that is one of the few situations where I really would rather have something like a kindle or touchpad. But at this point the argument is why not just get a kindle? Is the price difference truly justifiable?

I guess its a show-off luxury item to many. It says "I have X $ I can spend so I can show this off."

I know for certain occupations it might make a lot more sense, but I can't justify it for me.

Maybe I'll apply the funds I would have allocated towards that for a pre3.

And I'm genuinely intrigued at the possibilities of a webOS laptop (though I might have to dualboot it or run it on a virtual system)... webOS with vmweare where I could run my windows and linux stuff in cards would be awesome....
    you want it because everyone in the media is telling you that you need one. And all your coworkers and family have one.
    majority of the people I know could care less about a tablet. In fact, I only know one person who owns one.

No one has any plans to have one either.

The only purpose it really serves is that it's a nice light version of a dumbed down laptop
    All the OP's points are valid...except I could make the same argument about a smartphone. It doesn't do anything I can't accomplish with a regular phone, a pad of paper and my home and work computers.

For my family, it would be all about the entertainment. It could replace our portable DVD player, my sony reader device and could serve as a great little gaming device and facebook tool too. It would also be great for family vacations too, since then we wouldn't have to worry about lugging around our 17" notebook.
    I have no interest in a tablet. I wonder though if my mother who can't use a computer would find the touch interface of a tablet workable. She also has macular degeneration so holding an almost 10"screen that close would work for her. I only wish I knew someone with a tablet so I could see what she thinks. Maybe ipad 1 owners will be throwing their "outdated" units in the trash after March 11th.
    I see many uses for a tablet at home and travel. I see it as a tweener device, where the screen of a smartphone is too small and you just don't want to lug a laptop around when you are on the move.
    Heck no. I don't need a tablet by any definition of the word "need".

I was extremely skeptical about the iPad at first, too ("so they took a netbook, cut off the keyboard, and are selling it for twice the price?") but I'll have to admit that the form factor has won me over after using it for a while. A tablet is quite nice in a recreational, 'magazine computer' sort of way. Read a website or watch a video comfortably in bed before going to sleep. Quite nice.

So no, I don't need one, and I don't think anybody else needs one either. But just like a lot of other people, I want one, because it's a nice addition to the computers I already have (counting my phone as a computer here). It can't replace the desktop or laptop computer of anybody who's actually getting work done on one, and it can't even replace a smartphone for somebody who needs/wants to get any work done on the go, but it CAN be a very practical item to have nonetheless.
    I,don't need one but its cheaper then buying a new computer
    actually, I travel a lot and my primary laptop is a lug as it is used for demos of enterprise software. While on planes, the TouchPad would be easier to startup, shutdown and it will fit better in the closed space.

In the airport, I would rather do my email, txt and phone calls from the TP over having multiple devices out.

At certain conferences, I could leave the laptop at home and go with the TP only. This would actually work for some presentations I give too - if the TP has video out.

I could then run a single os or eliminate VMs on my laptop. today I have Win7 x64 on one partition, Win2008 x64 R2 Enterprise on another and several VM's. I would gladly do my day-to-day administrative stuff (email basically) on the TP, then leave the laptop for demos only.

If all goes to the cloud, a future laptop would have WebOS running with Windows, then I could at times leave the laptop at home; hit the cloud and do even more.

Still - do I NEED a tablet - no; nobody NEEDS it. Hell, nobody needs a cell phone, but it sure makes life easier (at times).

We don't need cars, we don't need flat screen tv's or an XBox or PS3, cable or DTV. Most Americas think it is their right and we tend to be a bit spoiled. Heck, those ripping off the system by choosing to NOT pay for medical or car insurance still have a smartphone with data plan, 2 LCD TVs, a giant SUV - but they use food stamps and claim they are poor. ok, enough of the rant.... basically addressing the NEED question.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midway99 View Post
    Still - do I NEED a tablet - no; nobody NEEDS it. Hell, nobody needs a cell phone, but it sure makes life easier (at times).

We don't need cars, we don't need flat screen tv's or an XBox or PS3, cable or DTV. Most Americas think it is their right and we tend to be a bit spoiled. Heck, those ripping off the system by choosing to NOT pay for medical or car insurance still have a smartphone with data plan, 2 LCD TVs, a giant SUV - but they use food stamps and claim they are poor. ok, enough of the rant.... basically addressing the NEED question.
    Couldn't have said it better myself
    I don't need a Touchpad or iPad, but I would love to have one. Anyone who doesn't NEED theirs want to get it to me?
    Quote Originally Posted by Midway99 View Post
    Well I don't know about the "we don't need cars" part in the US because of how spread out things tend to be and how underdeveloped our public transportation system is. I think it would be more accurate to say we don't NEED luxury cars, or expensive new cars, or as you said those giant SUVs. Depending on road conditions/maintenance (this state sucks at maintaining their roads) most people can easily do with a basic car or small SUV (i.e. Escape, RAV4, etc.) Even a 20 year out 4Runner would do the job and I know someone who does the job with one.

As for the question of the OP, you don't NEED a tablet. Purchasing a tablet could be a luxury item or if you price it right and it has the features you require from a computing device it could be a replacement for an existing computer. Whether or not you need the computer/tablet then depends on your personal situation.
    For showing/sharing websites, emails and documents that you pull up from the web or have stored in the cloud, a tablet is much easier to deal with than a laptop. I can sit next to someone in a meeting and pass the tablet to them to show them something. The phone is too small to do that easily and even a small netbook is too cumbersome and ungainly.

A lot of the sales are, of course, people that just want the newest thing on the block or for entertainment, but there are a lot of people I see carrying and using tablets for business purposes that would never have lugged around even a lightweight laptop.

Not to mention having the long battery life of something like the i-pad means you can carry it around without needing to lug a cord and brick as well.
    To be honest, no. But I'm paranoid about my main laptop while out of the house. If anything is stolen or damaged, I'd rather take a hit of under $800 in equipment than all my data. Laptop theft is apparently very high. I can also use the tablet to cut down on wear and tear of my laptop. If I'm just doing some quick surfing and checking email, no need to start up the laptop.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    I just bought a gaming laptop. I think I'll have more fun with that than a tablet. I like the idea of a tablet, but the prices are borderline insane.

If I were to get one, I'd probably buy a Nook Color and hack it to run Android. I'd mostly use it for the web so that is a much more pratical way to go. To be honest too, the Android web browser is blazing fast and that is one area that WebOS needs improvement in. The WebOS browser is also sadly a bit less web compliant than others.
    Quote Originally Posted by vaxick View Post
    The WebOS browser is also sadly a bit less web compliant than others.
    If true, the irony is the saddest part of all.
    It is a terrific portable device if:

1. it can edit office document
    2. it is always connected
    3. it can do video chat
    4. it has enough battery to last 8+ hours.
    5. it does full web.

ironically, a 10" tab is the least portable, so its the least attractive option in terms of a portable device.

WebOS is a terrific mobile OS, but it may be lacking of most important functions to succeed as a tablet. Unproven quick office, untested skype, quality unknown browser.
    Quote Originally Posted by vaxick View Post
    The WebOS browser is also sadly a bit less web compliant than others.
    I don't know where you get that idea from but that's not actually true. THe browser is as web compliant as any other mobile WebKit based browser. It doesn't have some of the bells and whistles of some of the Android browsers and some sites aren't setup to register the webOS browser ID string as a mobile browser but that has nothing to do with web standards compliance.
    Right now, standard compliance is least important aspect of a tablet browser.

A full featured browser need to remember passwords, have a download manager, load page reliably. Have a way to sync with desktop/laptop browsers.
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    The WebOS browser scores lower in all browser tests when comapred to browsers like the one found in Android. I'm not saying it's worse, I'm just saying it could be improved. For the record, I'm talking about the browser in WebOS 2.0. It has some issues that the browser didn't have before. Some sites I use daily don't display correctly that do in 1.4.5. Popular tests like Acid2 also score higher in 1.4.5. I have no idea why, but it is a worry I have.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast