Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I need a tablet simply because Star Trek taught me that it's a sure sign that the future and all the great things that come with it (world peace, abolishment of money, warp drive) has arrived.

Actually, I don't need one. However, I'd love to have one as a content consumption device while sitting on the sofa.
    Hey, we could always look at a tablet as a Green alternative to a standard computer/laptop!
    Quote Originally Posted by aapold View Post
    Do you really need a tablet?
    nope
    Global Posts
    818 Global Posts
    Though I don't need a tablet and can't really use it for my daily work (I need some honking servers), I'm interested in one. The main reason is for casual use and travel. It can stay in the living area at the ready and is much easier for quick browsing, emails, etc. than the small screen on the phone.

Having an unobtrusive, always on device for web access is a great convenience factor. It seems that, with my laptop, every time I shut it down I remember something I forgot to do.
    Palm III->Palm IV->Palm V->M130->Tungsten->Treo 270->Treo 600->Treo 700->Palm Pre Plus->FrankenPre 2->Pre 3 & TouchPad
    Global Posts
    541 Global Posts
    Do I need a tablet?

Do Wisconsites love our Superbowl champion Packers?

When the final economic analysis is done, He with the best gadgets rules the couch!

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    -
    - my webOS apps: Bishop Scores, EquiAnalgesia, EquiSteroidia, OB Tracker -
    - Missing webOS phones when I use my iPhone5 and iPad Mini. At least I have my TouchPad to web surf still! -
    At 1.6lbs, and much thinner than a laptop, yeah I need one.

But I've done this long without ever having a laptop, so no, I don't need one.

However, the convenience of having one would be nice. I travel for work, usually a week a month, and it would be very nice to have one in the airports, on the planes, back at the hotel to do my daily web surfing, check my favorite blogs for sporting news and new music + videos... I would like one while watching tv too. I read a LOT on the internet. Always reading articles linked through Twitter or other means. At the rate I do it on my Pre, I'll literally be blind by the age of 30 instead of the 6" distance I can see without lenses.

Until some more apps are developed to do other things like, say, control my HTPC through XBMC using the TP as a remote (too many acronyms used there), that would be nice. I'd like more magazine options too, Golf Digest digital version, perhaps?

But, as I've said before, I've done this long without all that by not having a laptop. I did fine not having a data connected phone until I got my Pre in 9/09 too. So no, I don't NEED it, but it will make some of the things I do on a daily basis that much easier.
    I walked in to the Apple store a few weeks after the iPad release, just to privately ridicule the "oversized iPod" I was convinced was just a gimmick.

Then, after using a demo model for about an hour, I walked out with one. And it's changed my entire mobile computing life.

Could I live without it? Yes. But I wouldn't be nearly as happy.

(Sent from my iPad.)
    Work got me an iPad wifi, now on 2nd ipad with 3G, which is up for sale on Craiglist so I can stand in line for iPad 2. I could not work without an tablet at this point.
    I could not function without a tablet at this point.
    Can't imagine why someone would spend so much for so little...but that's just me. Still don't have a laptop and never liked the whole scroll pad thingy...give me a mouse, dammit!
    If "If's" and "But's" were candy and nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas!

Shh... No one really needs a tablet, but Apple and others need you to think you need a tablet. Only way I'd consider a tablet is if it came with an attached keyboard. Thankfully, I have such a device. It's called a laptop.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Quote Originally Posted by spudland View Post
    Still don't have a laptop and never liked the whole scroll pad thingy...give me a mouse, dammit!
    I hate trackpads too...which is why I have a bluetooth mouse connected to my laptop. Have since day one of owning a laptop. Was that really the only reason you don't have a laptop? We use ours as our primary home pc.
    As webOS users we have a better reason to own the palmPad (It's a palmPad, shut up) Than an Iphone user has to also own an iPad. When you are at home or whatever not on the go, It's better to answer text messages on the large screen. It's good to quickly answer emails too. I'm not sure how the app sharing is gonna work, but it would be sweet to continue a game where you left off from your Pre3.

Anyways, People have a need for 3 devices. Phone, laptop, desktop... for me. Some people don't use desktops and I suppose these ppl could benefit from a tablet even more. Point is, I think people need a device to take on the go and leave their main computer be it laptop or desktop at home. If you use a laptop as a primary computer, then I assume it's a big laptop and you'd rather not take it everywhere.

I have a desktop, netbook (eeePC 900) and phone. If I get a palmPad it will likely replace my netbook as my 'on the go device'. So I'll take to school to take notes, I'll take it to a coffee shop and have it at home on my computer desk and casually use it all day while my pre is on the charger. I definitely don't have a use for 4 devices-- Laptop, Desktop, tablet, smartphone... nope

Sure, 'on the go' device could just also be a Pre, but palm knows that we like bigger screens sometimes. That's why they were making the foleo way before the iPad. That's why there is a market for the palmPad. It's the connection between the pre and palmPad that makes this make sense.
    Not at all. We are all spoiled.

99% of people don't need smartphones either.

Didn't need them 20 years ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by kill_Dano View Post
    As webOS users we have a better reason to own the palmPad (It's a palmPad, shut up) Than an Iphone user has to also own an iPad. When you are at home or whatever not on the go, It's better to answer text messages on the large screen. It's good to quickly answer emails too. I'm not sure how the app sharing is gonna work, but it would be sweet to continue a game where you left off from your Pre3.

Anyways, People have a need for 3 devices. Phone, laptop, desktop... for me. Some people don't use desktops and I suppose these ppl could benefit from a tablet even more. Point is, I think people need a device to take on the go and leave their main computer be it laptop or desktop at home. If you use a laptop as a primary computer, then I assume it's a big laptop and you'd rather not take it everywhere.

I have a desktop, netbook (eeePC 900) and phone. If I get a palmPad it will likely replace my netbook as my 'on the go device'. So I'll take to school to take notes, I'll take it to a coffee shop and have it at home on my computer desk and casually use it all day while my pre is on the charger. I definitely don't have a use for 4 devices-- Laptop, Desktop, tablet, smartphone... nope

Sure, 'on the go' device could just also be a Pre, but palm knows that we like bigger screens sometimes. That's why they were making the foleo way before the iPad. That's why there is a market for the palmPad. It's the connection between the pre and palmPad that makes this make sense.
    You kind of lost me when you said you'll take it to school. Back when i was in school, time was important as I was working full time as well. I got as much done at school as possible. I'm a light note taker to begin with though (notebook and pen for me). I wouldn't be spending time fooling with "tablets" & inadequate apps. A laptop may be harder to lug around but having what you need to do the job right (and much more efficiently) is worth much more.
    instant on -- open up quick office. Bluetooth KB. IDK what else you could want for school? I like to keep all my notes of google docs so It's perfect for me.
    <thread moved - not specific to TouchPad>
    Quote Originally Posted by VCI_Cell View Post
    I walked in to the Apple store a few weeks after the iPad release, just to privately ridicule the "oversized iPod" I was convinced was just a gimmick.

Then, after using a demo model for about an hour, I walked out with one. And it's changed my entire mobile computing life.

Could I live without it? Yes. But I wouldn't be nearly as happy.

(Sent from my iPad.)
    I did the same thing but after using it for several minutes and remaining unimpressed, I didn't walk out with an oversized iPod.

(Sent from my iPad mini!)

Quote Originally Posted by kill_Dano View Post
    instant on -- open up quick office. Bluetooth KB. IDK what else you could want for school? I like to keep all my notes of google docs so It's perfect for me.
    I suppose a real computer since the iPad has many more functional limitations. But if you buy a decent computer most of them come straight from the manufacturer with an InstantOn OS for web, email, music, video and of course google docs note taking. Plus the tm2t is a nice ultra-light with a touch screen and tablet mode.
    Last edited by Orion Antares; 03/04/2011 at 11:15 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by aapold View Post
    The last situational use is as a reader. I do like to read a lot and that is one of the few situations where I really would rather have something like a kindle or touchpad. But at this point the argument is why not just get a kindle? Is the price difference truly justifiable?
    A Kindle is great for reading novels purchased from Amazon but not much else. An iPad is also great for reading novels purchased from Amazon but is also great at reading books from other sources and is particularly good for reading PDFs formatted for printing on letter sized paper. Its also great for reading content from the web or using dedicated apps (Wallstreet Journal, New York Times etc).

I bought my iPad last May. Its my most used computing device other than my work PC. I like it so much, I replaced my main Windows PC with a Mac and my netbook is only used for Quicken at this point. When I next qualify for an upgrade, I am switching to the iPhone. Prior to the iPad, the only Apple devices I owned were iPods.
    You can attach keyboards to tablets. It's OK to be old school, but with laptop theft and occasional TSA horror stories, yep I'm getting a tablet. It's true there's heavy marketing concerning tablets, but I would absolutely scream loudly if something happened to my laptop.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Mair View Post
    Not at all. We are all spoiled.

99% of people don't need smartphones either.

Didn't need them 20 years ago.
    For the organization, I most certainly would have needed smartphones 20 years ago(more like around 15 years ago in my case)!! My contacts were a mess, my calendar was a mess, etc. etc. If smartphones had been out then, they would have saved me a LOT of problems!!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast