Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 45
  1.    #1  
    Is the HP webos watch ready? The ideas man.

    HP thoughts for the future, thanks to PhilMcKinney VP CTO

    In the last week HP world event in Shangai, China , PhilMcKinney VP CTO talked about how the brain storm ideas come live on a device.

    The road to convert 2000 raw ideas, shorted to 150, and taking 20 of the list, after he thinks those might be the ideals for asking internal HP funding , isn´t that easy.

    The worthly final decision are made by his team, and he would pick up on ideas which are ‘trending’ around the world.

    A new phase is started: surveys, what he called “trend safaris” . These safaris take a lot of time.

    The team focus on where the money was being spent so that the company could give the people what they needed, wanted and were willing to spend money on.

    He gave an example:
    The team spent a lot of time looking at what the Indian people really wanted, they conducted surveys and looked at the sample population’s spending habits. They found out that the population wanted three things; education, communication and entertainment in that particular order of importance, so Phil and the gang came up with the Dreamscreen.

    The Dreamscreen was intended for people who had never used a computer and needed to take the first giant leap of faith that would take them in the direction where they would be able to use a computer. It basically allowed the less tech savy people to access communications, study and some entertainment as well.

    Its basically an all in one PC even though the company might prefer to not call it that. It comes with a decently sized 18.5-inch touchscreen display that supports a resolution of 1366×768. The screen, along with the PC hardware, fits into a single piece of molded plastic.

    However, an interesting thing happened, according to McKinney. This product would be painfully bought with the people’s hard earned money for the education of their children. But HP, which was getting feedback from the device found out that the majority of the time it was being used for something else. One guess; entertainment.

    It seemed that the children would be away from the house for a significant period of time. Which meant the cats would come out to play. The grandparents and mothers would use if for their entertainment needs, since it was also perfectly capable of delivering that end of the bargain.

    “They would buy with their minds, but they would use based on their passions,” said McKinney.

    So what is the ideas man planning for 2011
    Phil McKinney see’s a very smart future ahead of us. He believes that the world does not need new products that do more. He believes that the world will move towards products that are aware of each other and can make certain decisions as a result of their being interconnected.

    So, your phone would work in conjunction with your house, you would be able to control certain functions at home with it. Phil also showed us a watch. It was designed to be the hub of all communications for all HP devices. For example, texts, emails, voice, chats; notifications for everything would show up on the watch so that one could see if it was worth their time or not.

    Sounds familiar?

    Is the HP webos watch ready? Is the Pekin Express Tribune wrong on what watch they saw.

    Phil was making just an example and showed up his current watch?

    See the image attached herewith.

    Inside view: The ideas man at HP – The Express Tribune
    Attached Images Attached Images
  2. #2  
    I believe HP is working with Fossil to create this watch...

    Phil McKinney introduces the HP innovation watch developed in collaboration with Fossil - #anewhpworld - a set on Flickr

    From the pictures, I don't see how you would get connected information from the watch.
  3. #3  
    You could wait for the Veer to come out and attach it to a wrist strap and make it your wrist watch. You can have it with exhibition mode active and it will look like a really advanced wrist watch to anyone.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by sinime View Post
    I believe HP is working with Fossil to create this watch...

    Phil McKinney introduces the HP innovation watch developed in collaboration with Fossil - #anewhpworld - a set on Flickr

    From the pictures, I don't see how you would get connected information from the watch.
    Unless different colors lights pops up on the watch according to a text message or e mail recieved, just to warn the user and then you go your webos smartphone or touchpad ?
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    You could wait for the Veer to come out and attach it to a wrist strap and make it your wrist watch. You can have it with exhibition mode active and it will look like a really advanced wrist watch to anyone.
    Better idea. Build a nice case and chain and use the Veer as the base for a webOS pocket watch design!
  6. spare's Avatar
    Posts
    662 Posts
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    You could wait for the Veer to come out and attach it to a wrist strap and make it your wrist watch. You can have it with exhibition mode active and it will look like a really advanced wrist watch to anyone.
    It's too big for a watch but could be the right size for a very early Mass Effect Omni-tool arm band.
  7. #7  
    I couldn't tell from the picture. Did the watch have a traditional watch face, or was an electronic display w/ a traditional skin?

    i'm doubt this thing runs webOS, they would have made a big deal out of it, right?

    still, it be pretty neat to have a watch that runs all my exhibition mode apps.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by spare View Post
    It's too big for a watch but could be the right size for a very early Mass Effect Omni-tool arm band.
    I like big watches.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by spare View Post
    It's too big for a watch but could be the right size for a very early Mass Effect Omni-tool arm band.
    God that is so full of win that I wanna cry... XD
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    I couldn't tell from the picture. Did the watch have a traditional watch face, or was an electronic display w/ a traditional skin?

    i'm doubt this thing runs webOS, they would have made a big deal out of it, right?

    still, it be pretty neat to have a watch that runs all my exhibition mode apps.
    Yeah it doesn´t look like a touch watch panel but has a lot buttons around it.
    Like I was saying before maybe you will recieve warnings from your different webos devices to your watch via wi-fi ?
  11. #11  
    One of the best ones out there now is this:

    Get inPulse and Hack Your Watch | Home

    So they'll have to do better then that to get noticed but overall I don't think many people are buying these things. Esp when compared to smartphones, netbooks and other gadgets.
  12. santos's Avatar
    Posts
    578 Posts
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    #12  
    I just don't get the idea of having a WebOS watch. How useful would it be??
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by santos View Post
    I just don't get the idea of having a WebOS watch. How useful would it be??
    Connected to your phone/tablet you could get small notifications and updates to your watch instead of having to dig out your phone or tablet.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    Connected to your phone/tablet you could get small notifications and updates to your watch instead of having to dig out your phone or tablet.
    I think the thing is, most people who are "connected" already have a smartphone and most of the things they want to do will be on a large screen smartphone.

    Even if you get notifications and updates on your watch, you are still going to want to view and respond to them on your smartphone.

    While it's true you might shave off a fraction of a second by moving your wrist to your eyes rather then your wrist to your pocket and then to your eyes. But in the end you will find yourself taking out your smartphone no matter what.

    Plus are people really complaining about the inconvenience of devices like the iPhone and how they need a watch device to compensate for the inconvenience of such devices???

    Let's be honest, this is a geek item that only geeky people will buy and use. Can we at least be that honest?
  15. RafRol's Avatar
    Posts
    544 Posts
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    #15  
    I'm actually way more interested in a WebOS watch than a tablet. I would definitely buy the watch immediately when available.

    BTW, I'm a big Mass Effect fan. WebOS Omni-tool FTW!
    Visor/Sprint Springboard Expansion Module > Visor Platinum > Tungsten E > Centro (work) > Palm Pre
  16. RafRol's Avatar
    Posts
    544 Posts
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    I think the thing is, most people who are "connected" already have a smartphone and most of the things they want to do will be on a large screen smartphone.

    Even if you get notifications and updates on your watch, you are still going to want to view and respond to them on your smartphone.

    While it's true you might shave off a fraction of a second by moving your wrist to your eyes rather then your wrist to your pocket and then to your eyes. But in the end you will find yourself taking out your smartphone no matter what.

    Plus are people really complaining about the inconvenience of devices like the iPhone and how they need a watch device to compensate for the inconvenience of such devices???

    Let's be honest, this is a geek item that only geeky people will buy and use. Can we at least be that honest?
    OK, I have my Pre in my belt-clip and my bluetooth headset on. I receive a phone call. Instead of reaching down and pulling my phone out of the case to see who's calling, I can just flick my wrist and see the caller ID info on my Omni-tool, wait, I mean my watch.

    I receive several types of updates via text messages (weather updates, stock quotes, etc.). Nothing I have to respond to. I just check them on my watch and dismiss them.
    Visor/Sprint Springboard Expansion Module > Visor Platinum > Tungsten E > Centro (work) > Palm Pre
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by RafRol View Post
    OK, I have my Pre in my belt-clip and my bluetooth headset on. I receive a phone call. Instead of reaching down and pulling my phone out of the case to see who's calling, I can just flick my wrist and see the caller ID info on my Omni-tool, wait, I mean my watch.

    I receive several types of updates via text messages (weather updates, stock quotes, etc.). Nothing I have to respond to. I just check them on my watch and dismiss them.
    Right.
    "I'll take what does a geek look like for $1500 Alex"
  18. RafRol's Avatar
    Posts
    544 Posts
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    #18  
    LOL. I'm sure they can make the watch look elegant, sporty, and yes... even nerdy... or geeky if you prefer.
    Visor/Sprint Springboard Expansion Module > Visor Platinum > Tungsten E > Centro (work) > Palm Pre
  19. spare's Avatar
    Posts
    662 Posts
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    #19  
    People buy watches as accessories too. It doesn't matter that you can get the time from your phone. Yeah it's a geek device but if you're a watch wearer, one connected to your phone could be a big plus. I don't carry my phone everywhere with me, not when I'm walking around the house or the office. And I know I'm not the only one who misses phone calls because of it.
  20. #20  
    HP CTO Phil McKinney’s 10 Year Outlook on The Connected Life | webOSroundup


    Skip to about 24 min. in. I love it! I want it now.
    Palm 1000 > Palm Pro > Palm III > Palm IIIe X 3 > Palm IIIc > Palm TT > HTC Wizard > HTC Blue Angel > Palm TX > Zier 31 > Palm T3 > Palm Pre > FrankenPre 2 > TouchPad/Droid/Ubuntu > TP/ICS
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions