Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by spare View Post
    People buy watches as accessories too. It doesn't matter that you can get the time from your phone. Yeah it's a geek device but if you're a watch wearer, one connected to your phone could be a big plus. I don't carry my phone everywhere with me, not when I'm walking around the house or the office. And I know I'm not the only one who misses phone calls because of it.
    I think everyone on this forum (me included) forgets that most people do not have Homebrew or Preware on their WebOS device. It's true. There are more then a million WebOS devices sold. Less then half of those people are members on Precentral.

In order to have a smartwatch you first need to connect it to a smartphone. The number of people that have smartphones is smaller then you may think:
    Think Everyone Has a Smartphone? Think Again [STATS]

When you talk about selling a connected smartwatch, to the demographic of people who already own a smartphone and would buy such a thing is really small. You will likely get only a small group of people (possibly in the hundreds or low thousands) from places like:

• New York
    • Los Angeles
    • San Diego
    • Bay Area (SF)
    • Chicago

After that you'll be hard pressed to find large groups of people interested in such a device. I doubt you could sell in a year what the HTC EVO did on it's first day.

Generally speaking, people who buy a Rollex, Bvlgari, or even a Kenneth Cole or DKNY watch are a much different kind of person then one who'd buy inPulse smartwatch.

I guess you could say that's just my opinion but I did some research and put in some hard facts, so it's an educated opinion
    Very sexy, but they will get beat to the market by apple with an apple watch. Just like what's going on now with the Touch Pad and the Ipad 2. Too much talk and no timely follow through.
    I think you are right to a degree, though I do think it will come down to ecosystem. That watch is the central hub to a family of devices. It holds the network connection and communicates with the tablets, mini tabs, and phones all around
    Palm 1000 > Palm Pro > Palm III > Palm IIIe X 3 > Palm IIIc > Palm TT > HTC Wizard > HTC Blue Angel > Palm TX > Zier 31 > Palm T3 > Palm Pre > FrankenPre 2 > TouchPad/Droid/Ubuntu > TP/ICS
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    I agree, I would love to see an actually webOS watch...

But you guys do realize what he was showing had nothing to do with webOS... Right?
    Follow me on Twitter : MrKal_El
    I agree with the fact of how it's built into the ecosystem and provides a purpose. But here is an example of how others are beating them to the game. May not be all of what the webos watch would offer but it's still something in the same field. http://m.engadget.com/default/article.do?artUrl=http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/02/inpulse-bluetooth-smartwatch-gets-facebook-places-check-in-app-f/&category=mobile&icid=m_eng_latest_art
    But you guys do realize what he was showing had nothing to do with webOS... Right?
    He said the watch had a full software stack, going forward, they only have one software stack: webOS
    Palm 1000 > Palm Pro > Palm III > Palm IIIe X 3 > Palm IIIc > Palm TT > HTC Wizard > HTC Blue Angel > Palm TX > Zier 31 > Palm T3 > Palm Pre > FrankenPre 2 > TouchPad/Droid/Ubuntu > TP/ICS
    how?
    It needs a cpu, a bit of memory, and a whole lot of cloud
    hp should worry about getting just one thing right before jacking around with idiotic things like a smart watch
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    I really don't think the watch will have WebOS built-in to it, I just think it will interface exclusively with WebOS. I can't imagine anyone browsing the web, etc. with it.

If it actually connects to your Palm Profile, then that would be impressive.
    Visor/Sprint Springboard Expansion Module > Visor Platinum > Tungsten E > Centro (work) > Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by RafRol View Post
    I really don't think the watch will have WebOS built-in to it, I just think it will interface exclusively with WebOS. I can't imagine anyone browsing the web, etc. with it.
    My guess is it'll be much like the Pre3 shooting notifications to the TouchPad -the watch will be readily visible if the phone is in your pocket - and you won't have to remove the phone to see what just came in.
    Quote Originally Posted by japomani View Post
    It needs a cpu, a bit of memory, and a whole lot of cloud
    Or, it could use touch-to-share with any other device you own.

It could have enough space for a clock app plus a few other apps. You can touch-to-share a phone app, map app, games, etc. That would be thinking beyond.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Global Posts
    118 Global Posts
    I was swimming the other day, and the entire time I was wondering if anybody had texted/called/emailed me while I was trying to find an excuse to get out. I think that for people who are on the go this would be pretty sweet. Just a simple display that showed a snippet of what someone texted, or who was calling you would be just enough to get me to buy one. Just make sure it's waterproof.
    Quote Originally Posted by cntchds View Post
    I was swimming the other day, and the entire time I was wondering if anybody had texted/called/emailed me while I was trying to find an excuse to get out. I think that for people who are on the go this would be pretty sweet. Just a simple display that showed a snippet of what someone texted, or who was calling you would be just enough to get me to buy one. Just make sure it's waterproof.
    I was thinking to myself if I took your post above and showed it to random people, asking them to guess whether it came from a site about tech or a site about people seeking therapy I wonder which the majority would pick?
    Last edited by deesugar; 03/03/2011 at 02:32 AM. Reason: Grammar
    I could also see you initiating a phone call from your watch with a favorite people app. So it's only kept to a select few, not your whole phonebook. (with some people have well over 2500 contacts it would be crazy)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevesrjr86 View Post
    I could also see you initiating a phone call from your watch with a favorite people app. So it's only kept to a select few, not your whole phonebook. (with some people have well over 2500 contacts it would be crazy)
    I think that is an awesome idea. Also, voice dialing could work.

Looking at the ipod nano, it runs a version of iOS and people have used it as a watch

iWatchz - Wear your iPodŽ nano like a watch.

The face on McKinney's watch looks analog, but those big honkin' buttons on the side are a bit over kill. I wonder if the screen is digital.
    In the world I envision, I ditch my smart phone entirely. I want a watch, ear piece, tablet combination. The screen on a phone is just too small to really do much for me. I get claustrophobic trying to do real productivity stuff there. I only use it when I don't have a laptop near. I hope to replace my laptop with a tablet soon for most things.

If we can go far enough into the future, I would replace the tablet with a foldable/scrollable pocket sized tablet that expanded to 10 inches when necessary.

If I need a separate phone device, then a veer sized thing would do.
    What if they took the keyboard of a veer, shrunk the screen, and put it on a wrist band? Photoshop anyone?
    Or, I would add a pair of heads up display sunglasses and spacial gestures instead of the tablet
    I really don't mean to troll you, but you do know that you can edit your posts, right? There's really no need to write four consecutive posts when you could just edit all of your thoughts into one.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast