Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 137
  1. #101  
    HP is trying to make things right by gving us the opportunity to move to a better service provider ranked #1 and #2 respectively.
  2. #102  
    "Giving" us the opportunity or making us?
  3. #103  
    HP is a business, not a charity. There's no money to be made basing business strategies on appeasing the 0.05% of the market on webOS/Sprint. Palm tanked having sold what they did of the webOS line, so what is there to gain for HP worrying about the percentage of those who are left? As far as "making things right," so what if someone in the company said that? For one thing, they'll say whatever they have to to keep interest in the product, and what is there to make right? They have no moral or legal obligation to sell you another phone just because you liked the first one. I'm moving on to ATT to keep webOS. Do that, or just move on from the company that you think keeps lying to you and had a major debacle with their original shoddy hardware.
  4. #104  
    So nobody thinks supporting homebrew and giving away free devices to devs and internals does anything to make things right? That's something that benefits all webOS fans
  5. #105  
    Just saying, it's making it right for the legacy devices, not just Sprint owners.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
  6. #106  
    Quote Originally Posted by bbycrts View Post
    HP owes you nothing. They made the "make it right" statement in error in my opinion. Never should have said a thing.
    Your right, they shouldn't have.
    But, they did.

    It's not unreasonable to want a company to follow through with something they said they would do.

    If you’re at a store for example, and you find a miss-priced item, they are supposed to sell it to you at that price.
    Even if it was a mistake and they lose money on it.

    Why would anyone trust them in the future if they don’t make good on what they said in the past.
    Mistake or not.
  7. #107  
    <<staff edit>>
    HP owes you nothing. They made the "make it right" statement in error in my opinion. Never should have said a thing. They own nothing to any legacy customer. They need to look to their future, not their past - if WebOS has a chance it's going to be in the larger market, not catering to a bunch of whining people who think HP owes them something.[/QUOTE]

    I agree but why then make a comment that u will make things right for legacy users that have been patient.


    Why tell us we will get webs 2.0 and flash but then say sorry after 6 months of waiting. I just wanted some transparency. If it's no then say no. That's all
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 06/18/2011 at 12:32 AM. Reason: quoted text deleted
  8. #108  
    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    Remember when HP/Palm said they'd make things right for Sprint owners? What happened to that? Anyone have any leaks/inside info on whether that was complete bs or what might be happening (and when)?
    Sprintsters, I can understand the passion around the issue of getting a new phone. However, I'm not exactly sure why there is so much hatred toward either Sprint or HP. For one thing having a phone for 2 years is a lifetime in the fast paced tech cycle that is mobile today.

    Also, I've seen no hard facts only speculation laced with opinion on why a deal between the two companies is seemingly held up.

    If Sprint is asking for too much (an period of exclusivity, excessive control over the UI, unreasonable guarantees to insure against unsold product, or for HP to foot the entire marketing campaign for the new launch) It may be that HP realizes that the partnership would be too crippling to their growth. Not to mention that it would set a high bar for negotiation with other carriers who would ostensibly sell much more than Sprint ever could.

    If HP is asking for too much (a high minimum buy in, an excessive amount of floor space vs. profit on likely sales, etc) Sprint may be unwilling to repeat the Pre fiasco.

    Or it might be philosophical differences (the value of 3G vs 4G, slab vs. portrait, or some other factor). In any case, the intentions may not be doable under the current reality. I don't think either side is going to make the agreement if it is going to damage their respective companies financially. It happens. People get married ('till death do us part) with the best of intentions, but.... we know how that sometimes ends.

    Two questions:
    1) If HP offered a deep discount, but on a DIFFERENT CARRIER, would that "make things right for you"?

    2) If Sprint were to get the rumored "Stingray" slab, but much later - like January of 2012, would that make things right?

    And no, the cheaper rates @ Sprint were likely going to disappear anyway, so don't factor that in. That may be part of why Sprint is trailing the pack now..

    I'm not a Sprint hater, in fact if Verizon Wirele$$ doesn't get the Pre3 or support the product line with OTA updates and the like, that was where I was planning on going next (if they carry webOS products).

    C
    Last edited by C-Note; 06/17/2011 at 03:19 PM.
    "Sometimes I feel like an OS-less child..."
    (with apologies to Billie Holiday )
  9. #109  
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Note View Post

    2) If AT&T and Sprint are going to merge soon anyway, would a move to AT&T specifically with a deal make things right.[/INDENT]

    And no, the cheaper rates @ Sprint were likely going to disappear anyway, so don't factor that in. That may be why Sprint is being bought out anyway.

    C
    Where are you getting this information? I'm aware of an AT&T/T-Mobile merger. I've heard nothing about Sprint and AT&T (or being bought by anyone for that matter).
    Palm III>Sony CLIÉ S300>Sony CLIÉ N760C>Sony CLIÉ TG50 & Tapwave Zodiac 2>Handspring Treo 600>Palm Treo 700p>Palm Treo 755p>Palm Pre>FrankenPre2
  10. #110  
    Quote Originally Posted by sumanb View Post
    Where are you getting this information? I'm aware of an AT&T/T-Mobile merger. I've heard nothing about Sprint and AT&T (or being bought by anyone for that matter).
    Yeah you are right. Brain fade, I was thinking about a discussion about who might be next to be bought out. Corrected above. Thanks
    "Sometimes I feel like an OS-less child..."
    (with apologies to Billie Holiday )
  11. #111  
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Note View Post
    Sprintsters, I can understand the passion around the issue of getting a new phone. However, I'm not exactly sure why there is so much hatred toward either Sprint or HP. For one thing having a phone for 2 years is a lifetime in the fast paced tech cycle that is mobile today.
    So expecting that the product I purchase actually last the entire term of the contract I sign up for is crazy? Having to have the latest and greatest is one thing, but if I sign a contract for 2 years, I would expect that the carrier/manufacturer would support the device for that long.

    Quote Originally Posted by C-Note View Post
    Two questions:
    1) If HP offered a deep discount, but on a DIFFERENT CARRIER, would that "make things right for you"?

    2) If Sprint were to get the rumored "Stingray" slab, but much later - like January of 2012, would that make things right?


    C
    I don't think a phone company offering a phone would do much to "make things right".

    Personally I think HP is hoping we all forget that they said they would "make things right" at this point, and if we don't, I doubt they will ultimately care.
  12. #112  
    You know what the mistake in HP's thinking is here (I am guessing a bit at their thoughts): they think that because Verizon and AT&T are MUCH bigger than Sprint that those carriers are a better choice to put new phones on.

    Why's that a mistake? Because AT&T/Verizon offer a TON of great phones (iPhone 3/4, A TON of great Android phones, some blackberrys) such that a WebOS phone won't stand out enough to get noticed by most consumers. On Sprint, however, there's almost no good phones, so a WebOS phone would look mighty good to most consumers.

    Remember when Palm was 7-8% of the U.S. smartphone market? That was almost entirely on Sprint. Don't you think they'd kill to be at 7-8% now?
  13. #113  
    Quote Originally Posted by w2wpaul View Post
    So expecting that the product I purchase actually last the entire term of the contract I sign up for is crazy? Having to have the latest and greatest is one thing, but if I sign a contract for 2 years, I would expect that the carrier/manufacturer would support the device for that long.

    I don't think a phone company offering a phone would do much to "make things right".

    Personally I think HP is hoping we all forget that they said they would "make things right" at this point, and if we don't, I doubt they will ultimately care.
    No, but the term of the contract is set by the carrier, not by the phone maker. Depending on the carrier, one can buy off contract or in some places on a 3 year contract. So that isn't the issue.

    I don't like the consequences of the fast development cycle either, but this is what many people are clamoring for... a newer, faster, bigger, better device. I also use Android phones for work. I've bought two of them within a year (the Droid and Droid 2) both of them were EOL'ed within the same year. My contract is for 2 years. In fact, I bought the second one because the original Droid was so far behind on the OS upgrade I needed that I had to give it to another employee. I still had to 'sideload' the Gingerbread OS in order to get the OS update in needed... on the newer Droid.

    Palm is not the only one who is having this problem. Check out the talk about the 'Anna" upgrade on the Nokia forums. RIM and Windows problems are also well known. (I also use Blackberry... 3 months after I buy the Curve BB OS6 is announced and my phone is not supported )

    While a consequence of the financial problems of Palm and the time lost thru HP's acquisition of Palm, my beef with the situation is the dry spell between products (hardware and OS) that has bled customer and developer support.

    But at this point the last thing that HP can afford to do is risk the future by hanging on to the past. Sprint has to do what is best for their financial future, they are almost the "Palm" of wireless carriers.

    And if HP is footing the sign up fees and some of the costs of a contract on a new carrier to 'make it right', it's not the 'phone company' offering a new phone.

    C
    "Sometimes I feel like an OS-less child..."
    (with apologies to Billie Holiday )
  14. bbycrts's Avatar
    Posts
    42 Posts
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    #114  
    Quote Originally Posted by surrealchemist View Post
    <<edited by staff>>
    What a bizarre response. I have no connection to HP. I have no corporate overlord. I'm on Verizon - would love a Veer, actually, but I like my carrier and am under contracts right now.

    Instead of assuming that the "loyalty" of a few customers is the most important thing to one of the largest tech firms in the world, I am realistic - I know that the bottom line is their driving factor - if going with Sprint isn't going to work with their bottom line, I wouldn't expect them to go that way. Companies that don't make strategic decisions don't stay in business.
    Last edited by berdinkerdickle; 06/17/2011 at 10:02 PM.
  15. bbycrts's Avatar
    Posts
    42 Posts
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    #115  
    This whole thing sounds exactly like Verizon customers lambasting HTC for not updating the OS version on the Droid Eris. It is amazing how many armchair MBAs there are who think they could run the business better than the company's own executives...
  16. kilroy's Avatar
    Posts
    72 Posts
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    #116  
    I recall HP telling us to stay tuned in the "coming weeks" when the talked about making things right. True, they don't owe anyone anything, but THEY chose to make the statement. I think we're around 16 weeks past that "coming weeks" announcement now. If that's "coming weeks", God help us when they say "coming months"!
    Kilroy was here.
  17. #117  
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Note View Post
    No, but the term of the contract is set by the carrier, not by the phone maker. Depending on the carrier, one can buy off contract or in some places on a 3 year contract. So that isn't the issue.

    I don't like the consequences of the fast development cycle either, but this is what many people are clamoring for... a newer, faster, bigger, better device. I also use Android phones for work. I've bought two of them within a year (the Droid and Droid 2) both of them were EOL'ed within the same year. My contract is for 2 years. In fact, I bought the second one because the original Droid was so far behind on the OS upgrade I needed that I had to give it to another employee. I still had to 'sideload' the Gingerbread OS in order to get the OS update in needed... on the newer Droid.

    Palm is not the only one who is having this problem. Check out the talk about the 'Anna" upgrade on the Nokia forums. RIM and Windows problems are also well known. (I also use Blackberry... 3 months after I buy the Curve BB OS6 is announced and my phone is not supported )

    While a consequence of the financial problems of Palm and the time lost thru HP's acquisition of Palm, my beef with the situation is the dry spell between products (hardware and OS) that has bled customer and developer support.

    But at this point the last thing that HP can afford to do is risk the future by hanging on to the past. Sprint has to do what is best for their financial future, they are almost the "Palm" of wireless carriers.

    And if HP is footing the sign up fees and some of the costs of a contract on a new carrier to 'make it right', it's not the 'phone company' offering a new phone.

    C
    Good points about the other OS's being in similar EOL issue scenarios. I would say that at some point something should give, but that won't ever happen.

    I agree that if "HP is footing the sign up fees and some of the costs of a contract on a new carrier to 'make it right'" that would be a good scenario. I was more referring to your second bullet (Sprint offering the slab phone).
  18. jdale's Avatar
    Posts
    554 Posts
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    #118  
    Not to resurrect an old thread... but I figure better to do that than make a new one.

    Here's what I think HP should do. For everyone who had a WebOS phone that cannot be upgraded to 2.0, who upgrades to a newer model, they should give a $100 credit usable in the app catalog.

    Why? It's a nice benefit for users. But it's also a great deal for HP. First of all, not everyone will use the whole credit. Second, it doesn't actually cost them $100 because 30% of that would go to them anyway. So it's like offering a $100 mail-in rebate that only costs them $70.

    But more importantly, that is a big show of support for developers. And that is the biggest weakness that HP is facing right now. There are not enough apps. HP needs to do more to encourage new developers and to reward the ones who have already gotten on board. With $100 credit, we are going to buy a heck of a lot more apps, we are going to talk about more apps, we are going to write reviews for more apps, and the developers are going to make more money.

    We win, the developers win, and HP wins.


    I also think HP should give a smaller credit to every single person who buys a WebOS device at all. Even a $10 credit would get people looking around in the app catalog, get them used to shopping for apps, get them trying things out. It would be a tiny cost for HP and a big boost for their developers.
  19. #119  
    Here is the post where HP/Palm promised to "make things right."
    The Official HP Palm Blog: Thanks (really!) for the feedback

    Note that this promise applied to all "older WebOS phones."

    My suggestion would be to e-mail Jon Zilber and ask him if that it still in the cards. At this point, some kind of a trade-in/upgrade program might be the only think that would keep me with WebOS.
  20. #120  
    <<merged>>
    Just call me Berd.
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions