Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by protofa View Post
    webos phones on all US carriers would be 'making it right'
    its to late for all that to be considered "making it right" that would have been months ago with the pre2 . making it right now would almost be worthless to most because most have already moved on to android or iphony or went to the pre2 frankenpre or verizon pre2 . yes there are still a few people around with the pre minus and more with the pre plus . and pixi . i would like to know the numbers though .
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    If my company made promises to customers and then just left them in the cold to fend for themselves. We would be out of business. I'd be embarrassed to attempt to sell them something else until I apologized and "made it right".

The same people who took a chance with a Palm Pre and WebOS when it was an unknown commodity are being totally disregarded by HP. If HP has a plan or not they should address the faithful original owners and treat them with dignity and respect and just tell us what their plan is or isn't.

We deserve not to have to guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by sclifton57@yahoo.com View Post
    If my company made promises to customers and then just left them in the cold to fend for themselves. We would be out of business. I'd be embarrassed to attempt to sell them something else until I apologized and "made it right".

The same people who took a chance with a Palm Pre and WebOS when it was an unknown commodity are being totally disregarded by HP. If HP has a plan or not they should address the faithful original owners and treat them with dignity and respect and just tell us what their plan is or isn't.

We deserve not to have to guess.
    Really? Seriously, really? You know I wish HP would do or say something just so the "faithful original owners" would give it a rest. So a person buys a phone and sticks with it though it's growing pains. That is a decision that a person makes. Is that person entitled now? Is that customer any more special than a new user? No. As far HP leaving people out in the cold to fend for themselves, are you serious? It's only a phone. If it wasn't for HP, WebOS would likely have died with Palm. I find this sense of entitlement from some members of this community embarrassing.
    YoMamma,

I think the "sense in entitlement" is here because of two promises:

1. The first couple iterations of Pre hardware will get webOS 2.
    2. HP cancelled the first promise, but said that they would "make it right" for the owners of the earlier hardware.

So, it is completely justified for owners of earlier hardware to wonder "okay, so what does that mean, and how/when is HP going to make things right?"

Does this make sense to you?
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    As for the original topic of this thread, now that the App Catalog accepts coupons and in-app purchases, I have a feeling that "making things right" will entail a coupon code that you can use in the HP App Catalog, HP Music Store or HP Video Store. I really doubt they'll be giving out any devices and will actually be somewhat surprised if they make things right for people outside the US.
    I wouldn't mind, but I don't think HP will go this route since that wouldn't help them sell new phones, will it?
    Quote Originally Posted by DancesWithLysol View Post
    YoMamma,

I think the "sense in entitlement" is here because of two promises:

1. The first couple iterations of Pre hardware will get webOS 2.
    2. HP cancelled the first promise, but said that they would "make it right" for the owners of the earlier hardware.

So, it is completely justified for owners of earlier hardware to wonder "okay, so what does that mean, and how/when is HP going to make things right?"

Does this make sense to you?
    No, it doesn't. The reality is that WebOS is evolving. Would it have been better for HP to use resources to design 2.x to run on legacy devices that are not capable of fully utilizing it anyway. I have a year old Pre+ running 2.1. It's fun, but not without issues and definitely not for public release. Then consider the time it would take to pass carrier testing. The biggest mistake HP made was saying anything at all! Lets face it. In the world of tech, by the time a device hits the shelf it's already on its way out. The Pre- is ancient. Did HP make a promise they couldn't keep? Yes. Did they compound the problem by making another promise. Yes. Sounds like something everyone of us has done multiple times. Give HP a chance. Don't make it look like they're just appeasing a bunch of children.
    Quote Originally Posted by YoMamma View Post
    No, it doesn't. The reality is that WebOS is evolving. Would it have been better for HP to use resources to design 2.x to run on legacy devices that are not capable of fully utilizing it anyway. I have a year old Pre+ running 2.1. It's fun, but not without issues and definitely not for public release. Then consider the time it would take to pass carrier testing. The biggest mistake HP made was saying anything at all! Lets face it. In the world of tech, by the time a device hits the shelf it's already on its way out. The Pre- is ancient. Did HP make a promise they couldn't keep? Yes. Did they compound the problem by making another promise. Yes. Sounds like something everyone of us has done multiple times. Give HP a chance. Don't make it look like they're just appeasing a bunch of children.
    You are incorrectly assuming that people feel entitled. And, if you are saying that to over-promise and under-deliver or not deliver multiple times is "something everyone of us has done multiple times," then you must not understand what being a responsible adult and professional means.

If I were your boss I'd fire you. If I were a prospective employer I would not hire someone with that kind of attitude. It is COMPLETELY unacceptable.

When you publicly make a promise, you don't drop the ball, especially if you are a public company. THAT's why so many people are unhappy with the current state of things in webOS land. We all have the normal expectations that people do what they say they will do.
    Quote Originally Posted by akmd65 View Post
    I'm very frustrated that HP has never even pretended to make things right. I really don't think expecting someone to live up to their promises is outrageous.
    I read every post in this thread and there are a lot of good opinions, and I agree with akmd65 that it is not outrageous for someone to live up to their promise, especially a big company like HP that can spare the change it would take to spread some good will. With that said I do not think they will do a single thing. I think we are in the rear view mirror, dropped off beside the road and they are doing 75 down the interstate to releasing all the new hardware and getting as far into enterprise as they can through their extensive network and previous business relationships. We are just a drop in the bucket of HP sales of anything. JMHO, but I think we get the goose egg.
    Quote Originally Posted by un_designer View Post
    You are incorrectly assuming that people feel entitled. And, if you are saying that to over-promise and under-deliver or not deliver multiple times is "something everyone of us has done multiple times," then you must not understand what being a responsible adult and professional means.

If I were your boss I'd fire you. If I were a prospective employer I would not hire someone with that kind of attitude. It is COMPLETELY unacceptable.

When you publicly make a promise, you don't drop the ball, especially if you are a public company. THAT's why so many people are unhappy with the current state of things in webOS land. We all have the normal expectations that people do what they say they will do.
    Feeling sensitive today? Did I touch a nerve? If you would like to touch upon how to be a successful employee and responsible adult, maybe you should start a new thread. Better yet, how about a thread about being honest with oneself. I would be happy to contribute.

Back to topic. I would be tickled silly if HP offered a discount on a Touchpad or a Pre3. I just don't believe they owe it to me. I think they are doing the best they can with what they have to work with. What else do you want?
    Feeling sensitive today? Did I touch a nerve? If you would like to touch upon how to be a successful employee and responsible adult, maybe you should start a new thread. Better yet, how about a thread about being honest with oneself. I would be happy to contribute.

Back to topic. I would be tickled silly if HP offered a discount on a Touchpad or a Pre3. I just don't believe they owe it to me. I think they are doing the best they can with what they have to work with. What else do you want?
    The important FACT is that many people DO feel owed. HP is not innocent in that they perpetuated the "we owe you one" mentality. Right or wrong, that is the situation HP is in, and they can take a calculated business risk that alienating x number of legacy hardware owners will have an insignificant business impact, or they can find something to be done. I didn't think we'd hear anything before the new hardware becomes available, and even now, AT&T users were the least effected so it wouldn't help many people if they offered Veer discounts. You won't know until they offer a product that is available to Sprint/Verizon users.

Nope, not at all. I'm just calling it out based on what you said about how it's okay to say one thing and then dropping the ball. You are saying that it's a common thing that everyone does. I'm saying that it's NOT a common thing that everyone does and that it's NOT acceptable. What HP/Palm is doing is showing that they are dong a poor job, so I'm calling it out.

As far as what I want? I want HP/Palm to be honest and deliver what they say they will deliver. It's not all that far a stretch. Others in these forum want the same thing. Contrary to your beliefs, it is the norm to do what one says that one will do.
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    They did make it right for the original Sprint Pre owners...they released a new device on AT&T knowing that we would still be locked in our contracts.
    Quote Originally Posted by un_designer View Post
    Nope, not at all. I'm just calling it out based on what you said about how it's okay to say one thing and then dropping the ball. You are saying that it's a common thing that everyone does. I'm saying that it's NOT a common thing that everyone does and that it's NOT acceptable. What HP/Palm is doing is showing that they are dong a poor job, so I'm calling it out.

As far as what I want? I want HP/Palm to be honest and deliver what they say they will deliver. It's not all that far a stretch. Others in these forum want the same thing. Contrary to your beliefs, it is the norm to do what one says that one will do.
    Relax, will you. I'm just saying that as humans we are not perfect. We all make mistakes. Well, maybe not you, but I do. Nobody is perfect. Not me, not the all powerful HP, and especially not you. Peace, have a great day. Don't take it so personal.
    Quote Originally Posted by lvpre View Post
    They did make it right for the original Sprint Pre owners...they released a new device on AT&T knowing that we would still be locked in our contracts.
    Tell me about it. I'm locked into my VZW contract. You know, Verizon land of Android. Still no word on who is getting the Pre3.
    I think that Pre Owners are feeling entitled only because HP made a promise. They also made a promise during CES and asked us to wait till Feb 9th. We waited and nothing. So the responsibility belongs to HP. Do I think they will do anything significant no I do not. Still not the right thing to do. They would have done better to be silent...
    Yes, only because HP made the promise. We did not twist their arm for anything but they made the promise. We are only wanting them to decide so that we can decide if it will be worth the wait!!!!
    My guess is that the reason Hp made their "Flash coming to Palm Pre by the end of 2009", "2.X on all devices in the coming months", and the "make things right" was so that they can keep the legacy users distracted long enough to sell enough pres and pixis to Feb 9th because they knew that legacy users would tell new smartphone users about webOS. Even though most legacy users are going to Android, they still have those new smartphone users to fall back on and announce the veer, Touchpad, and Pre 3 so that they can make it look like they are a new mobile platform.
    So it's been a "couple" weeks since HP announced they had ulterior plans for the Palm pre plus and the "Path to WebOS 2.1".

My question is: Is there a "path to WebOS 2.1," that's not homebrew, or is HP replacing that with the WebOS 1.4.5.1 update?
    There are official 2.1 doctors for the Pre Plus, but some carriers choose not to release them in order to make users buy a new phone.

The 1.4.5.1 update is a bugfix release for phones that can't get 2.x - the Pre and Pixi. If you can't get an official 2.1 update for a Pre Plus, get angry at your carrier. You have every right to.
    You know, I've seen the "phones that can't get 2.x - the Pre and Pixi" statement repeatedly in these forums. And now I read that the Veer has a faster version of the Pixi processor, and that all Pixi-supported apps in the App Catalog will automatically work on the Veer, so I'm believing the "can't" part even less than I ever did. And as an old-line Linux guy, who's run it on a wide variety of hardware, I never believed it very much.
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast