Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    how about a free printer? So they can turn around and sell us cartridges?
    Thats a good one. One time I ran to wal-mart to buy some HP printer cartridges for the office. Looking around they had a sale on HP printers with full cartridges (not those starter ones) of the type we needed that were LESS than the cartridges themselves. So I wound up buying a whole SUV load of Cheap HP printers instead of the cartridges. Everybody at the office got a free printer to take home with them that day (sans cartridge of course )
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    it'll probably be a $100 or so HP credit. I can't see them convincing the carriers to participate in this at all.
    I really don't see them doing something that substantial. I'd guess a much smaller discount ($25) and some free accessory that is low cost for them. For me, the waiting is getting too long. I'm testing a Motorola Atrix and I have to say that while Android is clearly 1/2 generation behind WebOS, the hardware is fantastic and the quality of the apps makes me think HP may never catch up.

Paul
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    it'll probably be a $100 or so HP credit. I can't see them convincing the carriers to participate in this at all.
    I think you're spot on with the $100 credit, but I think the carriers will get in on it because it could mean more carrier lockin.

Here's what I think: It'll be a $100 credit (maybe split up: $75 from HP, $25 from the carrier) specifically toward a Pre2. I think they probably produced a bunch of these, and now they need to get rid of them before the Pre3 and Veer arrive. I'll bet they finagle a deal with the carriers where we can get upgrade pricing even if we're in the middle of a contract, but then our contract term will start again. This is a win/win/win:

- Customers get a new phone for "free" (just gotta keep paying your carrier - which you'd do anyway)
    - HP looks good to it's customers, extends it's brand, and moves a bunch of product
    - Carriers get more lockin on their customer base

If they hurry up and do this sooner rather than later, and get me a Pre2 right now, I'll probably buy a Pre3 when they come out, anyway, and at full price. If they wait too long, it will be weird because they'll be trying to move Pre2 units at the same time they're trying to sell the Pre3.
    Quote Originally Posted by McRoth View Post
    Whatever they do, I hope it's soon. It's been weeks since they said said they'd let us know in the coming weeks.
    My guess is a hardware discount.
    Keep in mind, they'll likely have to have carrier agreements in place before they make the announcements. A discounted phone that is only available on Verizon won't do Sprint users much good (as an example).
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bbirch View Post
    I think what they should do is release the 2.1 doctor for all webos carriers and allow us to update. I think it's more likely that they will give some kind of discount to Pre 2's as there's probably difficulty getting rid of their current stock with new devices being just months away.
    I dont see them releasing 2.1 for the Pre- since that would just be what they originally said they were going to do than changed there minds. I agree with a lot of other people on this forum that that would be alot of work on an EOL device. Do I agree with the decision? no but i have to be a realist in this respect.

as for giving out Pre 2's. That would be great except it is not on sprint which is the carrier with most of the original Pre-. I'm not switching carriers after hitting premiere platinum status just to keep with webos, at least not yet.
    I'm standing behind my initial speculation: 25% off coupon for HP branded smartphone accessories.
    -beta testing WebOS since June 2009.
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pluka View Post
    I really don't see them doing something that substantial. I'd guess a much smaller discount ($25) and some free accessory that is low cost for them. For me, the waiting is getting too long. I'm testing a Motorola Atrix and I have to say that while Android is clearly 1/2 generation behind WebOS, the hardware is fantastic and the quality of the apps makes me think HP may never catch up.

Paul
    I'll admit it, my wife just got one yesterday. So far I'm a little jealous.
    Quote Originally Posted by port67 View Post
    I dont see them releasing 2.1 for the Pre- since that would just be what they originally said they were going to do than changed there minds. I agree with a lot of other people on this forum that that would be alot of work on an EOL device. Do I agree with the decision? no but i have to be a realist in this respect.

as for giving out Pre 2's. That would be great except it is not on sprint which is the carrier with most of the original Pre-. I'm not switching carriers after hitting premiere platinum status just to keep with webos, at least not yet.
    I agree that an update for the Pre- may not be something worth doing for HP/Palm. However they already released the doctor for Pre+ in Europe. I don't see the issue (other than carrier) in releasing the doctor for the same phone in the US, especially when reports from upgraders to 2.1 claim that application speed is greater on 2.1 then 1.4.5 and then posting on the Pre+ support page in the US that the same device is incapable of supporting 2.1. But I digress since this thread is about what we think Palm/HP will do. It'll be interesting to see what their plan is especially when in the US there are multiple carriers and Palm Pre-/+, Palm Pixi/+ devices.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oversteer325 View Post
    Sprint still has plenty of refurbs to hand out. I just got one a couple of weeks ago and another family member of mine got one last week. They don't have them in store but if you go to a repair center they can order them easily.
    Sprint no longer has Pre refurbs even by order. Your only options with the insurance are a BlackBerry, Hero, or Pixi.
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 03/06/2011 at 09:09 AM.
    Maybe no news is good news?
    I'm very frustrated that HP has never even pretended to make things right. I really don't think expecting someone to live up to their promises is outrageous.
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    Sprint no longer has Pre refurbs even by order. Your only options with the insurance are a BlackBerry, Hero, or Pixi.
    i just got a pre refurb yesterday from asurian sprint insurance
    FWIW, I went to my Sprint store and had both my Pre and my wife's Pre replaced on 4/18. Then I had to have mine replaced on 4/20 because of an antenna defect in the first replacement.

Point being, that was 3 refurbs within 3 days so Sprint does still have replacements.

Mine-Sprint Samsung Galaxy Nexus 4G/LTE
    Sprint Pre, 1.4.5 overclocked with F102A Delta Dagger - retired 12-18-11
    Wife's- Sprint LG Viper 4G/LTE
    R.I.P. - My Launch day Pre - 06-06-09--04-18-11

Never trust a computer (or phone) named after a fruit.
    Quote Originally Posted by bbirch View Post
    However they already released the doctor for Pre+ in Europe. I don't see the issue (other than carrier) in releasing the doctor for the same phone in the US, especially when reports from upgraders to 2.1 claim that application speed is greater on 2.1 then 1.4.5 and then posting on the Pre+ support page in the US that the same device is incapable of supporting 2.1.
    US carriers are using a weird platform like CDMA because they're too greedy to let their users switch phones whenever they decide to do so. They sure won't let you have a major software update and breathe new life into your old phone if they can withhold it and decrease your old phone's value even further, which may result in you carrying yet more money their way.

As for the original topic of this thread, now that the App Catalog accepts coupons and in-app purchases, I have a feeling that "making things right" will entail a coupon code that you can use in the HP App Catalog, HP Music Store or HP Video Store. I really doubt they'll be giving out any devices and will actually be somewhat surprised if they make things right for people outside the US.
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    US carriers are using a weird platform like CDMA because they're too greedy to let their users switch phones whenever they decide to do so. They sure won't let you have a major software update and breathe new life into your old phone if they can withhold it and decrease your old phone's value even further, which may result in you carrying yet more money their way.
    At the risk of going off topic - I think you are oversimplifying. CMDA had significant advantages at the time of adoption in terms of the number of towers required to cover the same geographic area - particularly in rural areas where cell breathing was not likley to cause the range to contract. In Europe where population density is more concentrated and regulations forced a GMS standard this was not an issue. In America this was a huge benefit for CDMA carriers - particularly since national carriers were not the rule - regional one's were.

Today GSM has made improvements and the differences are no longer as large - but the entrenched CDMA base is there so the cost of switching is high.
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    The "community" by now has shrunk to "three men & a horse head". Frankly even the horse head is ready to defect......
    HP is not interested in the community. They want enterprise.

My pre- is on last legs and with no product in the pipeline @ sprint I am left no choice but to move on from WebOS. I'm fine with that, Android is no slouch and has apps that I can use.

HPalm's PRPRPR ($or$ $shall$ $we$ $call$ $it$ $BS$?) $department$ $makes$ $me$ $laugh$ $by$ $now$.
    Global Posts
    195 Global Posts
    well, they've got just under a week to "make it right" for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by McRoth View Post
    well, they've got just under a week to "make it right" for me.
    Oh boy, the should be terrified and should really hurry up then! How dare they displease you personally!

Global Posts
    195 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IGNTNUNLMTD View Post
    Oh boy, the should be terrified and should really hurry up then! How dare they displease you personally!

I'm sorry, silly me, I thought this was a forum for voicing our thoughts & opinions openly, whether positive or negative. From now on I'll keep them to myself, I guess everyone else should too or you might upset IGNTNUNLMTD.
    I'm not holding my breath. HP gave us lip service and said they'd do something but no plans have come out.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast