1.    #1  
    I found it a little funny how HTC took a little shot at HP/Palm in their latest commercial. At the very beginning of the commercial, there's a guy holding a "river stone", being he's at the beach, I guess it's more of a "beach stone", lol. The size, shape, and color of the stone is an unmistakable "shot". See link below.
    YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.
    The Saint
    Maybe they see HP as legitimate competition in the future? Thats good for us.
    didn't see the resemblance. Sorry.
    ᛖᚲ ᚹᛁᛏᚲᛁ ᚱᛁᛊᛏ ᚱᚢᚾᚠᚱ
    Please tell me you are joking. I really doubt htc worries about hp in smartphone market or they even thought about hp or webos when they were making this commercial. Why r u guys think other companies are worrying about hp at this point? Remember webos got about 3% marketshare and their next big stuffs are far from ready.

Sent from Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    Please tell me you are joking. I really doubt htc worries about hp in smartphone market or they even thought about hp or webos when they were making this commercial. Why r u guys think other companies are worrying about hp at this point? Remember webos got about 3% marketshare and their next big stuffs are far from ready.

Sent from Tapatalk
    well i agree in a sense of most companies are not worried about taking shots at Webos products (heck most companies really dont, really just carriers). Though if you think that companies are not worried about what HP a multi billion dollar company will be doing to the market in the next few years your sadly mistaken. Remember Android market share was around same after 6 months after the G1 launch and most didnt think it would be anything as you can see those critics are wrong like most. The difference this time with Webos being under HP it can read markets, and avenues most people cannot because of HP's scale so dont get that twisted.
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    I mentioned that commercial to a friend yesterday. He said, "yeah, that must have been a commercial for the Pre".

It made me chuckle. He is not a Pre owner. He does not know I am a Pre owner.

I suspenct it was an intentional 'dig'. Or perhaps an homage??
    i dont see any commercial when i use the link ?
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    It just goes to show that while some haters have always called the Pre ugly, its design language has found many fans among industrial designers.

The same is true for the UI. Everyone is trying to look like Palm because Palm did a lot of things fundamentally right while no-one was looking.
    We're playing with the big boys now.
    I don't really see it. I'm not sure this was a jibe at the Pre or HP. But it's such a minor thing in the commercial it is impossible to know. Only the people who made the commercial and the HTC people probably know.

My Themes:CLICK HERE
    Yea, I'm not sure that was much of a shot at Palm or the Pre. It didn't communicate anything, it compared the stone in a positive way to the device that they've released and moreover did not say anything negative about the Pre.

If this was a deliberate shot at the Pre, then it does not have the effect that HTC probably desired - it just puts the competition back in the minds of the consumers, and that's definitely not what HTC wants (especially when most people still haven't even heard of the Pre).

If you want to see one company taking a shot at another company, check out this video below. Unfortunately, Palm is still too small, I think, to be of any concern from the competition. Any 'jabs' they throw at Palm will just educate more people that the smartphone company still exists.

And for anyone who can't see the video linked in the OP, click here:
    HTC Innovation Commercial
    Last edited by Tim Stiffler-Dean; 02/27/2011 at 04:48 PM. Reason: added url for video
    ~ Follow me on Twitter ~
    When the first phone that HP will put out is a 1.4GHz beast, it gives you reason to worry. When HP has the influence in the chip market to unveil a tablet with a chip that wasn't officially announced yet, it gives you reason to worry.

Remember that this is still the first wave of webOS products from HP. HP has said they will release six webOS products this year, so it's reasonable to expect some really nice products for the holiday season. Maybe even a webOS laptop or desktop.

HP can cover all the bases. When you're HTC, you don't want to compete with another company that has the capabilities of Apple.

I don't get it. It's a very nice commercial that talks about HTC and how they approach features and usability. They didn't take a shot at anyone.

I think this thread is more an expression of how some people want HTC, or anyone else for that matter, to take a shot at the Pre. The worst thing is not to be hated, but to be ignored and rendered irrelevant. If nobody is taking a shot at you, you are probably not worth shooting at. Nothing to see here.
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    When the first phone that HP will put out is a 1.4GHz beast, it gives you reason to worry. When HP has the influence in the chip market to unveil a tablet with a chip that wasn't officially announced yet, it gives you reason to worry.

Remember that this is still the first wave of webOS products from HP. HP has said they will release six webOS products this year, so it's reasonable to expect some really nice products for the holiday season. Maybe even a webOS laptop or desktop.

HP can cover all the bases. When you're HTC, you don't want to compete with another company that has the capabilities of Apple.
    Release and or announce?? For some reason I'd take anything they say with a grain of salt. I'd say announce 6 devices this year and release only 3.
    Here's the regular youtube link:

I don't get it -- is HTC saying that they designed the Pre?
    Quote Originally Posted by Furuboru View Post
    Here's the regular youtube link:

I don't get it -- is HTC saying that they designed the Pre?
    This commercial has nothing to do with the pre in any way, shape, or form,,, can't belive anyone could have even thought this.

Evo-lution
  17.    #17  
    Jeesh people, I didn't say they declared war on HP, I just said it was a dig, that's ALL. Believe me, HTC wouldn't put any resources beyond a little 2 second dig at a joke of a device such as a Pre. None of the major players take HPalm serious. They're a joke and they all know it.
    The Saint
    Quote Originally Posted by clintwinstead View Post
    I found it a little funny how HTC took a little shot at HP/Palm in their latest commercial. At the very beginning of the commercial, there's a guy holding a "river stone", being he's at the beach, I guess it's more of a "beach stone", lol. The size, shape, and color of the stone is an unmistakable "shot". See link below.
    The first time I saw this commercial, I was like, "Oh look, a polished stone. Must be a Palm commercial." Then when they showed the HTC device that looked NOTHING like a river rock...

Obviously there are a lot of HTC supporters around that will get their feathers ruffled by such a suggestion, but whether it was an intentional dig at HPalm or not (I don't think any phone manufacturers feel threatened by HPalm myself), obviously there are a few people who thought the same thing.

I'm a relative newcomer to Palm, with my Pixi being my first, and only having gotten it just a few months ago. But even I remembered the marketing for the original Pre, comparing it to a river-polished rock.

I think this was a failure on HTC's marketing department for not realizing that some of us would make such a connection. I can even see how it might upset some Palm fanatics, as they might interpret it as HTC claiming they were the first to design a device around a stone. I don't care which brand you like best, I don't think anyone can keep a straight face and say that any phone looks more like a polished stone than the Pre.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Quote Originally Posted by nyczwillz View Post
    Release and or announce?? For some reason I'd take anything they say with a grain of salt. I'd say announce 6 devices this year and release only 3.
    Well, yes, but we're only in March. There's still a lot of time this year for them to make something happen.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by clintwinstead View Post
    The same sensation I had when I saw the PRE for the first time.

The bounching stone was used by Motorola (5 years ago) on some TV commercials about the U6 PEBL
    -------------------------------------------------

Ericsson/Sonyericsson SH 668 > SH868 > SH888 > R320 >T39m > T65 >T68mc > R380 > P800 > Z600 > Z1010 > K608i
    Siemens ME45 > S55 > SL55
    Motorola 6200 > C333 > C350 > V547 > E1000 > A1000
    Nokia 7110 > 6230 > 6630 > 6230i> E60 > N80
    Panasonic G500 > GD90 > VS3
    Philips Fisio 820 > 825
    Palm Treo 650 > Treo 750V
    Samsung ZV40 > SGH-Z560
    NEC 338 > 616