Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi all,

I thought this is great, plus here is my 2 cents!. Keep in mind, that I am still using my trust old Centro, which 1st came off contract, last Oct, (My Centro is my 4th PalmOS phone). Therefore, I can't say with personal experience how great and easy webOS is to use.

However, I do have all of my friends ON THIS GREAT SITE, who have kept me well informed on all the fantastic features and ease of use of webOS.

On of friends, who I workout with at the gym 3 x a week, (at least), got a Droid phone a few weeks ago. He kept it for less than 2 weeks and returned it. He is back to his old phone and is debating between an Iphone, (which we both have played with since a mutual friend has one), or webOS phones.

Of course, he is waiting for me to get the Pre 3 and then he will check that out.

So I can say from 1st hand experience that the Iphone is a snap to use and the Droid platform is confusing, since the platform is so fractured and over customized by each of the companies using Google's original software customized for their needs. (This also makes me very glad that HP decided to by Palm and that Palm didn't end up having to license webOS to other companies, as it would only wind up a confusing over customized mess, which is what Droid has become).

webOS will be the same no matter if you choose the Pre2, Pre3 or Veer, that makes webOS very easy. So I can't wait for my chance to own a Pre3 or perhaps Hp/Palm will announce other keyboarded phones later this year)...

OK with that mouthful off my chest, here is the article.

Take care and thanks for letting me rant,

Jay

Droid Pro and Palm Pre Have One Key Feature that Verizon iPhone LacksJared Spurbeck Jared Spurbeck 02/23/2011

Droid Pro and Palm Pre Have One Key Feature that Verizon iPhone Lacks - Yahoo! News

The iPhone 4 is now on Verizon. There are some subtle differences between it and the AT&T iPhone, which I explored in another article, but for the most part you should know what to expect. Hundreds of thousands of apps, a tasteful and classy design ... and no hardware keyboard.

By now, it's so popular that even hardware keyboard purists may be tempted to jump ship for it. But as it turns out, Verizon offers two high-end, modern smartphones that have built-in keyboards. Are they worth buying instead of the iPhone?

Droid does

From the looks of its marketing material, the Verizon Droid line of smartphones is all about flash and raw power ... or at least, the appearance of it. The other phones in the Droid line have huge screens, and features like HD video recording or sports car-inspired styling.

The Droid Pro is the odd one out, with a tiny 3.1-inch low-res (HVGA) screen and a name -- and feature set -- meant to appeal to businesspeople. But it also has the one thing that a BlackBerry-addicted exec can't give up, and that's a BlackBerry-style hardware keyboard, complete with a ridge on each key.

The Droid Pro runs Google's open-source Android operating system, and has access to its Android Market, with over 150,000 apps. Many are ports of iPhone apps like Evernote, but others are apps that you can't find on the iPhone, such as an Android version of the popular Firefox web browser. Overall, though, the apps available for Android are usually considered lower-quality, and the user experience isn't as tightly integrated as the iPhone's is.

In the Palm of your hand

HP and Palm appear to take user experience as seriously as Apple does. Like Apple, they made both the hardware and the software on the Pre 2, Verizon's top-tier HP/Palm smartphone. And their WebOS operating system has some distinctive and useful touches ... like turning apps into "cards" you can swipe between, and letting you "Just Type" anything to search for it.

The Pre 2's hardware keyboard is of the slide-out variety, and uses chiclet keys that are tinier than the Droid Pro's. As someone who's owned an earlier Palm phone, though (the Palm Centro), I found it even better for typing on -- the rubberized keys are easy to grip with your thumbnails.

If you've never heard of the Pre or HP WebOS, you're not alone; most smartphone app developers don't seem to have, either. There are only about 5000 apps in Palm's App Catalog, as of last Christmas. The basics seem to be there, like Facebook and Angry Birds, but if you've come to rely on a favorite app you may want to check and see if it's there before buying a Pre.

Future Prospects

The new HP / Palm phones are scheduled to come out this summer, bringing even more options to hardware keyboard fan. And with HP's muscle behind Palm WebOS, one can expect their number of apps to go up.

The iPhone's expected to receive an update this year also, and their App Store juggernaut shows no signs of stopping. They're not expected to get a hardware keyboard, though ... and for some people, that might make the difference.

Jared Spurbeck is an open-source software enthusiast, who uses an Android phone and an Ubuntu laptop PC. He has been writing about technology and electronics since 2008.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Seems like another case where the OP should have asked him/herself is the thread really necessary.

What did we learn here?

1: That the OP brought a Centro at the wrong time and was stuck with a Centro until late 2010.

2: That the OP works out 3 times a week with friends and shares phones.

That covers the OP's blog.

From the article, what we already knew but was apparently a revelation to the writer:

1: There is a difference between the Pre 2, Droid Pro and Verizon iPhone, duh the iPhone does not have a physical keyboard

2: That there is an Android phone no one cares about: Droid Pro

3: That not many people are familiar with webOS and the App catalog has about 5000 apps.

4: A new HP/Palm phone is due out later this year

5: A new iPhone is due out later this year

Are you serious?

Oh yeah, and the OP loves dessert.
    Last edited by sinsin07; 02/23/2011 at 06:47 PM.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    Seems like another case where the OP should have asked him/herself is the thread really necessary.

What did we learn here?

1: That the OP brought a Centro at the wrong time and was stuck with a Centro until late 2010.

From the article, what we already knew but was apparently a revelation to the writer:

1: There is a difference between the Pre 2, Droid Pro and Verizon iPhone, duh the iPhone does not have a physical keyboard

3: That not many people are familiar with webOS and the App catalog has about 5000 apps.

Are you serious?

Dear sinsin07,

Thank you for your totally rude posting!

BTW my parents always told me, if you don't have anything nice to say don't say it. Your job for the rest of this evening is to look in the mirror and say that 300 times, (and mean it).... (that is in between kissing your own reflection).

I have been posting on this site for 8 years last month, your posting is the rudest that I ever got. In fact, your posting is the rudest I ever read from anyone on this site, to another members posting. What do you do in your spare time, take candy from babies....

We are supposed to act like polite adults....so in the future if you truly have nothing constructive and kind to say to me personally, either PM or better yet, please keep it to yourself!

Thank you so much I will take your comments from where they came...., they are the highlight of my evening, (not).

Take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Post something useful and leave out your personal blog.

Nothing I posted was not a true statement.

The second part of my post was a commentary on the article you posted. Did you expect no one to comment on the article? I found the article redundant uninformative. The writer should have rolled over and went to sleep.
    Last edited by sinsin07; 02/23/2011 at 06:54 PM.
    Post something useful and leave out your personal blog.

Nothing I posted was not a true statement.

The second part of my post was a commentary on the article you posted. Did you expect no one to comment on the article? I found the article redundant uninformative. The writer should have rolled over and went to sleep.
    Your post was very rude to Jay for no reason. He is a very helpful, informative and respected member of this forum!!!

Beamed down to the earthlings from my eVo
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
  6.    #6  
    Good Evening sinsin07,

You have a choice, don't read what I write or post, if you don't care for my folksy style of writing!!!!!

BTW I have been thanked no less than 460 Times in 2,013 postings....and you???? Since you are the only negative and/or rude comment that I ever got in 8 years, I am taking your rude posting from where it comes....

Like I said you have a choice, don't read what I post.

BTW I just got thanked again for a posting that I posed after this thread!

Thank you for reminding me, ever so often there are just rude, nasty and very unhappy people in life.

So to that I say...HAVE A NICE DAY AND DO TAKE CARE

After all, I wouldn't want to do anything to upset your pleasant, sparkling and glowing personality!

JAY
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    Your post was very rude to Jay for no reason. He is a very helpful, informative and respected member of this forum!!!

Forget about my post, what was the points you took away from this thread's subject matter. Tell us what you learned and how it was useful.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post

Thanks and take care,

Jay
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    Thanks and take care,

Jay
    Very welcome!

Forget about my post, what was the points you took away from this thread's subject matter. Tell us what you learned and how it was useful.
    If you don't see point in a post, there is nothing forcing you to read it. Just move on.

@ilovedessert

I agree, I think people underestimate the appeal of a device that can be used one handed and in winter without getting frostbitten

IMHO WebOS devices are actually better than Android devices because the user experience is uniform through out the device whereas Android is a mess. Same button press does different things in different apps and while it allows a lot of customization in each app it is very confusing as well.

What did we learn here?

Are you serious?

Good GOD that was incredibly and unnecessarily distasteful.
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    Good Evening sinsin07,

You have a choice, don't read what I write or post, if you don't care for my folksy style of writing!!!!!

BTW I have been thanked no less than 460 Times in 2,013 postings....and you???? Since you are the only negative and/or rude comment that I ever got in 8 years, I am taking your rude posting from where it comes....

Like I said you have a choice, don't read what I post.

BTW I just got thanked again for a posting that I posed after this thread!

Thank you for reminding me, ever so often there are just rude, nasty and very unhappy people in life.

So to that I say...HAVE A NICE DAY AND DO TAKE CARE

After all, I wouldn't want to do anything to upset your pleasant, sparkling and glowing personality!

JAY
    So one negative commentary should have no affect on you or your future postings. This is not a personal attack on you. You can't expect everyone to agree with everything you post. I will start checking how many times someone's been thanked before I comment.
    I don't want to be the cause of your thread being locked so to get back on topic, I'm sorry but the writer's summations are very obvious.
    Blah blah blah blah

what about the DROID 2 ??
    Why should we ignore your post? It's there, just as much as Jay's post is there. What did we learn from your post? You are rude, and had nothing to contribute. I shouldn't have to do this for you, but there is one big take away from Jay's "blog" and the article. People are starting to talk about webOS, whether at the gym, or in the press, it is getting some play. That's where mindshare begins.

Have a nice day!
    The thing is, he's right about how pointless the article is. If you actually read it, the author isn't saying anything at all other than hitting a certain word count.

Sucks seeing Yahoo adopt The AOL Way.
    Thanks for the post and information, Jay, and more importantly, for showing class in your response to sinsin's overt comment.

sinsin;

Y'know, it takes a whole lot of energy to be that negative and insulting - don't you think it is, at the very least, way more efficient (not to mention respectful) to put it towards something a bit more constructive?

Actually, perhaps you should have taken your own advice prior to posting your reply and asked yourself "if it was really necessary", first.

Last edited by LCGuy; 02/23/2011 at 08:35 PM.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

18.    #18  
    Hi all,

Thanks for the vote of confidance....

I look at all articles I can find about webOS/Palm/HP....

No matter what the article says, as was adroitly pointed out by HenryAlan, people are starting to take notice of webOS and that's a GREAT Thing.,...

You wanted to know what if anything I got from the article....yes in some ways it isn't the best article I have ever read....however in one way it is one of the best articles ever written...

The info on the article is obvious, however it is much Louie B Mayer, (one of the M's in MGM movie studios), "there is no such thing as bad publicity"...as long as articles are being written and read about webOS.

The other issue is that WE the faithful readers of the site, all try to read everything that we can about webOS....However, there are people out there who don't even know about webOS...even if it is a rehash to us...to a person who knows little or nothing about webOS, it helped educate people about webOS....

Even if it makes one person go and look at the Pre2, Pre3 or the Veer, that is one more possible patron for HP/Palm...which is always great news....Some place out in the vast microcosm of the INTERNET, at least one person who never heard of webOS, must have read the article.....

Take care,

Jay
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    The thing is, he's right about how pointless the article is. If you actually read it, the author isn't saying anything at all other than hitting a certain word count.

Sucks seeing Yahoo adopt The AOL Way.
    I believe the article is pointing out the fact that both these devices have Physical QWERTY keyboards which enterprise customers really like/want. iPhone is virtual keyboard only and that is a deterrent for its adoption in enterprise (IMO this situation is slowly changing but I digress).

This is a valid point so I don't think the article is pointless. I went from an iphone to Palm Pre and now on Epic 4G. I think vertical slider is indeed better and while iphone's implementation of the virtual keyboard is pretty good Palm Pre could be used without looking at the screen and one handed.

What did we learn here?

Are you serious?

It because of posts like this and the attitudes of those that post them that I quit trying to learn and use Linux several years ago.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast