View Poll Results: Should HP release a touchscreen only phone?

Voters
207. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes and I would most likely buy one

68 32.85%
  • Yes, to be competitive, but I wouldn't buy one

114 55.07%
  • No, the market it too crowded and I wouldn't buy one

25 12.08%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    I'm getting tired of phones that rely on physical keyboards. In-fact, it's not only me but a huge chunk of the market. Look at how well Apple has done with the iPhone. Look at some of the top Android devices. None of them have physical keyboards.

I understand there are some that still like physical keyboards, which is why we have devices like the Pre (any generation of Pres). HP/Palm need to release a phone that is touchscreen only to capture a big portion of the market.

I designed this mock-up phone and would like to see a similar device running webOS released soon. What do you think? Should HP release a touchscreen only phone?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Looks great and I am sure you are aware its been stated that HP plans to release 5-7 devices this yr, so I am sure a slab or 2 will be shown and released soon.
    Silly resolution is silly.
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    i wouldve bought one yesterday
    Quote Originally Posted by benthe1 View Post
    I'm getting tired of phones that rely on physical keyboards. In-fact, it's not only me but a huge chunk of the market. Look at how well Apple has done with the iPhone. Look at some of the top Android devices. None of them have physical keyboards.
    The original Droid (Milestone) has a keyboard. The Droid 2 has a keyboard. Sprint/HTC shipped a NEW Evo with a keyboard. Of the top 10 best selling Android phones, 3 of them have slide out keyboards.

If you want to argue that they should remove reliance upon using the keyboard by optimizing a virtual keyboard and landscape views that makes sense. Heck it even makes sense to request a landscape slider version but a slab is really not needed. All a slab is good for is allowing designers/manufactures to be lazy.
    Just 1200x720? Bah, full HD is absolutely a must have. Also You forgot 1TB Flash, AT LEAST 32MP cam, 4GHz quad core, 3600 mAh battery and of course LTE+WIMAX+HSPA++. Release was 2005, Price about $150 sans contract.

Oh, and weight is max 100 grams.
    Well I think HP should have announced a slab instead of the Veer, but physical keyboards still have a place with many. Heavy texters and emailers. They could have announced both. Motorola and HTC have both options. Samsung also.

I have slabs but don't see the need to release every phone in that form. Just make the option available.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  8. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RoverNole View Post
    Looks great and I am sure you are aware its been stated that HP plans to release 5-7 devices this yr, so I am sure a slab or 2 will be shown and released soon.
    Are they releasing the rest all in December?
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bela42 View Post
    Just 1200x720? Bah, full HD is absolutely a must have. Also You forgot 1TB Flash, AT LEAST 32MP cam, 4GHz quad core, 3600 mAh battery and of course LTE+WIMAX+HSPA++. Release was 2005, Price about $150 sans contract.

Oh, and weight is max 100 grams.
    Three years ago people would have responded the same way you are if someone said that the iPhone 4 will have a 960x640 resolution. Just so you know. The iPhone 4 has a 326 ppi. What I proposed in this phone is 341 ppi. That is not much of a difference at all.
    Maybe you should look in the mirror and roll your eyes at yourself!! So... you were saying?
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    All I know is that I want a webOS touchscreen only phone. Please release it HP, please!
    All I know is that I want a webOS touchscreen only phone. Please release it HP, please!
    I agree. Keyboards add unnecessary bulk. The webos tablet will prove that webos works and looks better without a keyboard. Cards will look allot better on a larger screen webos phone. HP knows there is market for slabs and will tap into it, eventually.
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    The original Droid (Milestone) has a keyboard. The Droid 2 has a keyboard. Sprint/HTC shipped a NEW Evo with a keyboard. Of the top 10 best selling Android phones, 3 of them have slide out keyboards.

If you want to argue that they should remove reliance upon using the keyboard by optimizing a virtual keyboard and landscape views that makes sense. Heck it even makes sense to request a landscape slider version but a slab is really not needed. All a slab is good for is allowing designers/manufactures to be lazy.
    Sorry if I made that sound like all top Android phones are touchscreen only. I was try to say that a lot of top Android phones are touchscreen only so HP should try to capture that type of market.

You make a good point about slabs not really being needed. We could also say that physical keyboards are not really needed, either. I think the main think that HP needs to consider is that they could be missing a large chunk of potential customers if they keep the same mindset that physical keyboards are the ONLY phones that should be released.

I'm sure we could disagree with each other all day but one thing is for sure, if HP doesn't keep up with the phone market, webOS will fail and that would be a very sad thing.
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    I'm getting tired of phones that rely on physical keyboards. In-fact, it's not only me but a huge chunk of the market.

HP/Palm need to release a phone that is touchscreen only to capture a big portion of the market.
    Quote Originally Posted by RoverNole View Post
    The trade off for Feb was the TouchPad, they could have announced a slab though have HPs pockets, the tablet is a higher priority. It's coming but the OS isn't there yet.
    Palm V → TX → Centro → HTC Legend → TouchPad/Pre 3(UK) → HTC One X → Nexus 4/iPad Mini → Pre 3/TouchPad Go
    Apple had a great new interface, but Apple (as Apple does) forced users to use a virtual keyboard.

If Apple had put out one model with the virtual keyboard and a second option with a physical keyboard, then you would know which one users really wanted.

Now you will never know what truly users prefer, because you personally like virtual keyboards you remarks are bias.

I personally have tried to use the iPhone (I borrowed a friends iPhone) and I just could not deal with the virtual keyboard.

My WebOS phone, has the virtual keyboard patch, and I rarely use it.

I don't need to look at the screen to type a text, you on the other hand canNOT do that with a virtual keyboard. You would never know where your figures are if you don't have a tactical feel to know where the keys are.

But enjoy your virtual keyboard, and let us that want a physical keyboard alone.

Don't force your preferences upon us physical types!

Rob

PS: At least give us physical types a bluetooth keyboard option! Hey, did you read about the company that has a add-on to the iPhone, it's a 'slide on keyboard' that hooks to the USB port!
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

I understand there are some that still like physical keyboards, which is why we have devices like the Pre (any generation of Pres). HP/Palm need to release a phone that is touchscreen only to capture a big portion of the market.

I designed this mock-up phone and would like to see a similar device running webOS released soon. What do you think? Should HP release a touchscreen only phone?
    The mock up looks nice. To add to the list of Android phones with a keyboard is the Samsung Epic
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rlanza1054 View Post
    ... Don't force your preferences upon us physical types! ...
    Oh... sorry I "forced" my preferences upon you. Haha
    Anyway, I have had the Pre for a year and two months and I also have the Epic 4G. Both have physical keyboards, one portrait and one landscape. I have NEVER been able to type without looking at the keyboard on either one and I would pay someone $100 if they could type as accurate and at least half as fast without looking as I could while typing on a Swype keyboard while I am looking. No joke!

Like I said before in my original post, I understand why there are physical keyboards in the market. I would argue that at least half of the people in the smart phone market would prefer touchscreen only phones and the other half prefer physical keyboard phones. Hp would be wise to release a touchscreen only phone to capture that market, especially if they want webOS to succeed.
    I find myself typing without looking about 50% on my keyboard. Every once in a while a glance down because it is too cramped, but mostly just by memory.
    iPhone resolution arguments need to go away. The screen resolution on the iPhone is already unnecessary, and nothing else in the industry matches it, period.

iPhone 4 = 960x640 = 324ppi
    Atrix 4G = 960x540 = 285ppi
    HTC Evo Shift = 480x800 = 277ppi
    Droid 2 = 480x854 = 265ppi
    Pre3 = 800x480 = 259ppi
    Droid Bionic = 960x540 = 256ppi
    Galaxy S/II Series = 480x800 = 249ppi
    HTC Thunderbolt = 480x800 = 232ppi
    HTC EVO = 480x800 = 232ppi

The Pre3 is highly competitive in screen resolution, and it's better than many of the super phones being released this year. No phone on the market currently or announced matches the iPhone4's resolution or pixel density.
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilKell View Post
    I find myself typing without looking about 50% on my keyboard. Every once in a while a glance down because it is too cramped, but mostly just by memory.
    iPhone resolution arguments need to go away. The screen resolution on the iPhone is already unnecessary, and nothing else in the industry matches it, period.

iPhone 4 = 960x640 = 324ppi
    Atrix 4G = 960x540 = 285ppi
    HTC Evo Shift = 480x800 = 277ppi
    Droid 2 = 480x854 = 265ppi
    Pre3 = 800x480 = 259ppi
    Droid Bionic = 960x540 = 256ppi
    Galaxy S/II Series = 480x800 = 249ppi
    HTC Thunderbolt = 480x800 = 232ppi
    HTC EVO = 480x800 = 232ppi

The Pre3 is highly competitive in screen resolution, and it's better than many of the super phones being released this year. No phone on the market currently or announced matches the iPhone4's resolution or pixel density.
    I think Samsung's 4-inch SuperAMOLED is the perfect balance of large screen size, vividness, and color depth. Whatever specs the Retina Display has, I now find its 3.5-inch screen to border on insufficient.

As for the Pre 3, what's up with it having a lower pixel density than HTC's (not exactly known for stunning displays) EVO Shift at the same resolution but while the Shift has a bigger screen. Shouldn't that be the other way around?
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    ....As for the Pre 3, what's up with it having a lower pixel density than HTC's (not exactly known for stunning displays) EVO Shift at the same resolution but while the Shift has a bigger screen. Shouldn't that be the other way around?
    I think the iPhone 4's pixel density is what most highend smart-phones will be around by the end of 2011, give or take a few pixels per inch. That will be a good thing because I can see the pixels on my Galaxy S phone.

I think his ppi on the Pre 3 and the EVO shift are switched. The Pre 3 has a 3.58 inch screen and the EVO Shift has a 3.62 inch screen with the same resolution. So you are right. :-)
    Last edited by benthe1; 02/25/2011 at 11:35 AM. Reason: miss quoted
    To big, and a VK is a nice add on app
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast