View Poll Results: Should HP release a touchscreen only phone?

Voters
207. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes and I would most likely buy one

68 32.85%
  • Yes, to be competitive, but I wouldn't buy one

114 55.07%
  • No, the market it too crowded and I wouldn't buy one

25 12.08%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    Sliding out a keyboard is an unnecessary step.
    With a keyboard:
    - slide the keyboard to unlock the phone
    - "just type"
    - blabla

Without a keyboard:
    - turn on the touch screen
    - make the unlock gesture
    - select the just type area
    - type
    - blabla

Given that making the unlock gesture and sliding up a keyboard are about the same kind of gesture, for me it's the virtual keyboard thing that has unnecessary steps. And if it's like in iOS, searching in the contacts for example would require two taps (up, select search field) whereas a physical keyboard and the proper software implementation can do the search directly.

The term vertical slider should clue you in that it has a limit, otherwise why emphasize "vertical"?
    For me it's easy: horizontal keyboards are pointless (but probably because most of these phones have too flat keys). Flat keys mean that there's no comparative advantage with a virtual keyboard. So it's either a virtual landscape keyboard or a physical portrait keyboard.

Tablets are not in the same league: virtual or external keyboard, no internal physical keyboard.

Webos already lends it self to a great screen only expierence, you can flick applications off the screen, gestures, etc.
    WebOS is great because it has the best of the two worlds. A great touch interface and the best keyboard implementation in the mobile world.

Release a pixi like (with different name) later on for all the keyboard lovers.
    I prefer the vertical slider design, because the absence of slider means that unlocking the phone would require additional steps and the screen is smaller.

Don't get me wrong: I'm from the iOS world. I hate to admit it, but a Nokia E63 is more efficient at doing some common tasks because it has a physical keyboard.
    I can see them wanting to appeal to a larger demographic with such a device. I, however, actually prefer a keyboard for the true tactile response. It's the main reason why I stuck it out waiting for the Pre+ to get on AT&T. I've always preferred a physical keyboard on a touchscreen device and the physical mute switch, palm was the only one to offer that combo for a short time in the treo/centro line.
    Treo 680 -> Palm Pre Plus
    WebOS is next to godliness
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Renaud View Post
    With a keyboard:
    - "just type"
    - blabla

Without a keyboard:
    - type
    - blabla
    You are assuming that people actually want to type when they first get on their phone. What if I just want to open up an app from my app drawer, lets say Angry Birds (haha). Now of course you can open up the keyboard and "just type" "an" and Angry Birds will pop up. Then you select it. BUT, then you would want to close the keyboard so it's not in your way.

Now here is where an on-screen keyboard would really come in handy:
    -While playing Angry Birds I get a text
    -tap on notification while still being in landscape
    -tap on text field
    -blah blah
    -send
    -swipe off
    -back to Angry Birds

With keyboard:
    -tap on notification
    -turn phone to portrait
    -slide out keyboard
    -blah blah
    -send
    -swipe off
    -close keyboard
    -turn phone to landscape
    -back to Angry Birds

This is why I think a touchscreen only phone would be more intuitive. Don't get me wrong, I still think having a phone with a physical keyboard in the market would be good, like the Pre 3; I just think that having a touchscreen only phone would attract more customers then HP/Palm already have.
    Got me, but I do like the Rendering! Sorli...
    Sure with Swype also!
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by timberh View Post
    Sure with Swype also!
    I love Swype! Now that we saw the leaked StingRay photos my dreams are starting to become a reality. Thank you HP!
    Don't forget the nuclear reactor, as long as we're being ridiculous
    With a keyboard:
    - "just type"
    - blabla

Without a keyboard:
    - type
    - blabla...
    As I think through my day the most common reasons for turning on my phone are:
    • Look at a text notification
    • Look at an email notification
    • Look at a Facebook notification
    • Look at a calendar notification
    • Check PreCentral, Engadget, BGR, news, etc.
    • Check the weather forecast/radar
    • Take about 1 photo a day

When I am in my car I can't type so I want to be able to say:
    • "Navigate to 123 Main Street city state"
    • Reply to Text, say: "I will not be there until 7"
    • Send a new Text: "Text to Jim I will meet you at the south door"
    • Reply to Email, say: "I will have that for you tomorrow"
    • "Listen to Jimmy Buffet Margaretaville"

Basically I only want to type on a phone as a last resort.
    what about talking?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    what about talking?

You know what?

In the history of 'SmartPhones' this seems to be the biggest overlooked 'feature'.
    Seriously!
    I want my phone to be firstly a phone.
    Especially when the list price is $400+
    Just call me Berd.
    True dat. Most of those voice to type things would have been phone calls:
    When I am in my car I can't type so I want to be able to say:
    "Navigate to 123 Main Street city state" I use my Garmin
    Reply to Text, say: "I will not be there until 7" voicedial to say "is 7 ok with you? sorry it's so late. btw, go ahead and order the first round, I'm buying."
    Send a new Text: "Text to Jim I will meet you at the south door" voicedial Jimmy again to say "are you at the south door of the main level, or one of the 4 on the mezzanine? I'll call when I get closer so you can talk me in because I haven't been to this facility before".
    • Reply to Email, say: "I will have that for you tomorrow" OK, this would be cool. But it could wait until I'm stationary so I can type it, or let my passenger type it for me...
    • "Listen to Jimmy Buffet Margaretaville"
    Also cool, but I'd probably just get a car with Ford Sync if I needed to be this specific
    Just sayin'
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    what about talking?
    It used to be that when people wanted to talk they would go "visiting".

At some point point "visiting" switched to phone calls.

Then texts replaced phone calls.

If you are over 30, you probably still talk on the phone fairly often.

If you are under 30, you are probably on your phone constantly but the one thing it never does is ring.

Except when your mom calls.
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 04/13/2011 at 01:13 AM.
    My son was all Evo this & Evo that when he got it and this week I noticed he was using a stylus. I asked him why and he said it works great for typing on his phone because he was making too many mistakes while typing on the virtual keyboard...just sayin'...
    If "If's" and "But's" were candy and nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas!

There's a large and extremely vocal group that has been clamoring for a slab phone since 2009, and I doubt that HP won't be giving them what they're asking for.

At the same time, while I fully understand the aesthetic appeal of a thin, sexy slab, I won't be getting one to 99% because I write on my phone. I was thinking about getting a slab and a bluetooth keyboard, but really, then I'd have to carry two devices which kind of defies the purpose of a smartphone... might as well carry a normal phone and an mp3 player then. No, a real keyboard it is for me.

But since we've already seen the HP slab, I'd say it'll be the next phone after the Pre 3, due this late summer/early fall. Hope you like it when it comes out
    Given that making the unlock gesture and sliding up a keyboard are about the same kind of gesture, for me it's the virtual keyboard thing that has unnecessary steps. And if it's like in iOS, searching in the contacts for example would require two taps (up, select search field) whereas a physical keyboard and the proper software implementation can do the search directly.
    Thats why I think we will see "Just Speak" in 2011. You can search by using your voice.

Quote Originally Posted by benthe1 View Post
    Now here is where an on-screen keyboard would really come in handy:
    -tap on notification while still being in landscape
    -tap on text field
    -blah blah
    -send
    -swipe off
    -back to Angry Birds

With keyboard:
    -tap on notification
    -turn phone to portrait
    -slide out keyboard
    -blah blah
    -send
    -swipe off
    -close keyboard
    -turn phone to landscape
    -back to Angry Birds
    My dad doesn't have to do that, and he has an EPIC. He can choose to use an on screen keyboard or the physical keyboard. With the Pre 3, you might have to unless they allow you to use a on screen keyboard or you can download an app. Which I am sure someone, somewhere will find a way to get an on screen keyboard -- it be silly not to put one on the Pre 3.
    Quote Originally Posted by spudland View Post
    My son was all Evo this & Evo that when he got it and this week I noticed he was using a stylus. I asked him why and he said it works great for typing on his phone because he was making too many mistakes while typing on the virtual keyboard...just sayin'...
    Be a hero and tell him to try the SwiftKey trial. It will fix it for him. He will throw out the pen.
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 04/13/2011 at 11:09 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by spudland View Post
    Stylus work on capacitive screens?
    Quote Originally Posted by koolkid09 View Post
    It is the same one you use with the Pre. It is in the PreCentral store.
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by koolkid09 View Post
    They are special ones that work with capacitive screens. They aren't really needed though. As far as the person needing one to type on their EVO, that person must be very uncoordinated to need a stylus. If this new webOS phone (StingRay) doesn't come to Sprint and doesn't have WiMax, hello EVO 3D for me. Yeah, the 3D seems a bit of a stretch but who knows, it might just be the next big thing. Imagine watching video that you shot in 3D. Pretty sweet IMO.
    Last edited by benthe1; 04/20/2011 at 02:29 PM. Reason: mispell
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JKK Photography View Post
    Don't forget the nuclear reactor, as long as we're being ridiculous
    Ridiculous? What's ridiculous? Nuclear reactor sounds pretty dumb though...
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast