View Poll Results: Should HP release a touchscreen only phone?

Voters
207. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes and I would most likely buy one

68 32.85%
  • Yes, to be competitive, but I wouldn't buy one

114 55.07%
  • No, the market it too crowded and I wouldn't buy one

25 12.08%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Are they releasing the rest all in December?
    I wonder if the CEO of HP was trying to create hype when he said that a new device would come out every two months or if he actually meant that.

If he did mean what he said then this is how it should go:

Pre 2-End of February
    Veer- End of March/Early April
    Pre 3-Late May/Early June
    TouchPad-July/August
    unknown device-Sept/Oct
    unknown device-Nov/Dec

So HP could very well keep to their promise. They really only need two more devices to release this year and they would keep good on their promise. Let's hope that those last two devices are a smaller tablet and a 4" slab.
    Mock phone looks pretty damn sweet.

I prefer physical keyboards, but I can get down with that phone.
    Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    I would buy one.
    If HP make that kind of phone I be getting 3 of them, wife, son and I. Wife is looking for that size screen, she has the HTC EVO, and wants webOS phone but big screen. HP should make a slab like that, it would definitely sell. And it would give the consumer more choices between different models phone. Why dont you submit it to HP to product development department. You never know.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    ...As for the Pre 3, what's up with it having a lower pixel density than HTC's (not exactly known for stunning displays) EVO Shift at the same resolution but while the Shift has a bigger screen. Shouldn't that be the other way around?
    Ooops, my bad. I still had my quick calculation formula for the HTC EVO Shift 4G setup for the Motorola Droid 2's unusual 480x854 resolution instead of 480x800. It's estimated a little anyway.

height = A
    width = B
    A = input
    B = (800/480) * A
    Diagonal screen size = (A^2+B^2)^(1/2)
    PPI = 480 / A

height = 1.85"
    width = 3.08"
    Diagonal screen size = 3.6"
    PPI = 480 / 1.85 = 259ppi

The HTC EVO Shift 4G has the same size 3.6" screen as the Pre3, and it has the same resolution so it will have the same ppi.
    sign me up for one asap
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joek71 View Post
    If HP make that kind of phone I be getting 3 of them, wife, son and I. Wife is looking for that size screen, she has the HTC EVO, and wants webOS phone but big screen. HP should make a slab like that, it would definitely sell. And it would give the consumer more choices between different models phone. Why dont you submit it to HP to product development department. You never know.
    Thanks for the compliment. I never thought of actually sending it in to the Product Development Department. I will have to look up where to email it to though. I'm sure I'll be able to find it on HP's website.
    Global Posts
    690 Global Posts
    i think itll be about how good the touchpad goes
    Quote Originally Posted by benthe1 View Post
    Can anyone tell me how to have a profile pic show on each of my posts?
    Go to the top of the page, towards the left look for user cp, go in there and there's a spot to set an avatar pic.

Beamed down to the earthlings from my eVo
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    I would buy 3-5 of these phones if it were released.
    Last edited by benthe1; 03/03/2011 at 12:16 AM.
    Global Posts
    483 Global Posts
    Exact specs aside, I think it looks real good.

To the pixel density talk, I just got a MyTouch 4G for a second line and it has a 246 ppi as far as I read. It has a 3.8 in screen. 3.6 on the Pre 3 with higher ppi, I will love it. 3.8 seems to a great size for my tastes, I think I will be very happy with 3.6
    Apps:

Turn the Dial Radio Directory (Phones)
    8-bit Miner (TouchPad)
    Turn the Dial Digital Edition (TouchPad)
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
    Exact specs aside, I think it looks real good.

To the pixel density talk, I just got a MyTouch 4G for a second line and it has a 246 ppi as far as I read. It has a 3.8 in screen. 3.6 on the Pre 3 with higher ppi, I will love it. 3.8 seems to a great size for my tastes, I think I will be very happy with 3.6
    When it comes to pixel density, what we see on the iPhone 4 will be about the standard in 2012. I came across this article about how Hitachi will be making screens for phone manufacturers that beat the iPhone 4's ppi density. Here's the link:
    New 4.5 inch display by Hitachi surpasses the Retina display on the Apple iPhone 4 - Phone Arena
    I still want to know where the heck my toaster is. I'm tired of fricking waiting.
    your render looks amazing, but I don't like some of your specs.

1) camera. 8mp is DUMB! a equally high expensive camera sensor at 5mp that small beats the 8mp with current technology under 90% of conditions due to the increased iso noise in having more pixels cramped in a small area. The technology isn't there yet, also it makes the files big for no reason. 5mp autofocus camera, with a High quality lense, and sensor over an 8mp with current technology. Unless you are going for marketing reasons that is.

2) the screen resolution. Nice, but takes up to much cpu+gpu power for current technology. again, very possible, but it reduces battery life.

3) cpu, too powerful. Rather have it underclocked at 1-1.2 ghz, and have a longer lasting battery. I know, scailing, but that's never 100% effective.

4) auxiliary jack on the side, top is much more convenient.

5) why a gb of rom?

Other than that I think it's a great design, I'd personally go for the pre3 since i'm a keyboard guy, but Very well done.
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nimer55 View Post
    your render looks amazing, but I don't like some of your specs.

1) camera. 8mp is DUMB! a equally high expensive camera sensor at 5mp that small beats the 8mp with current technology under 90% of conditions due to the increased iso noise in having more pixels cramped in a small area. The technology isn't there yet, also it makes the files big for no reason. 5mp autofocus camera, with a High quality lense, and sensor over an 8mp with current technology. Unless you are going for marketing reasons that is.

2) the screen resolution. Nice, but takes up to much cpu+gpu power for current technology. again, very possible, but it reduces battery life.

3) cpu, too powerful. Rather have it underclocked at 1-1.2 ghz, and have a longer lasting battery. I know, scailing, but that's never 100% effective.

4) auxiliary jack on the side, top is much more convenient.

5) why a gb of rom?

Other than that I think it's a great design, I'd personally go for the pre3 since i'm a keyboard guy, but Very well done.
    Thanks for the input. The 1 GB of ROM was unnecessary. It should have been 512mb. As far as some of the battery hog specs, if HP could optimize the software then battery could last a lot longer even with those specs. A 1.5 gHz processor is definitely do-able and the reason I used that is because it would be future proof. I think companies coming out with a refreshed model of a phone every year is ridiculous. A 1.5 gHz dual-core would future proof it for at least a year and a half and HP would have to have a refresh for two years.

8mp camera would be more for marketing reasons. The 8mp camera on the EVO has an option to change the picture size so that's why I did it that way. Last but not least, the head phone jack on the side is a personal preference because I like listening to music while playing games in landscape mode, which would put the jack at the top. Same thing with the volume rocker.
    Quote Originally Posted by nimer55 View Post

Absolutely wrong, the msm chipset are waaay better than the omap ones on the battery consumption and also on the graphic power side.

There's nothing wrong on the PRE 3 HW, it needs just a decent os and some basic sw that is still missing from the webos world
    -------------------------------------------------

Ericsson/Sonyericsson SH 668 > SH868 > SH888 > R320 >T39m > T65 >T68mc > R380 > P800 > Z600 > Z1010 > K608i
    Siemens ME45 > S55 > SL55
    Motorola 6200 > C333 > C350 > V547 > E1000 > A1000
    Nokia 7110 > 6230 > 6630 > 6230i> E60 > N80
    Panasonic G500 > GD90 > VS3
    Philips Fisio 820 > 825
    Palm Treo 650 > Treo 750V
    Samsung ZV40 > SGH-Z560
    NEC 338 > 616
  17. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Solutor View Post
    Absolutely wrong, the msm chipset are waaay better than the omap ones on the battery consumption and also on the graphic power side.

There's nothing wrong on the PRE 3 HW, it needs just a decent os and some basic sw that is still missing from the webos world
    And reading the WebOS forum, also they need to make sure basic functionality such as calendar and contact sync works - a *lot* of people in that forum complaining that the PIM functions have gone to pot.
    Personally I consider the (portrait) physical keyboard being one the forces of the HP phones and is actually one of the reasons why I want to buy a "slider WebOS phone". The way the keyboard is implemented is just ...right. Removing it would just add unnecessary steps to perform basic tasks, which is not a good thing.

Of course having the choice is better. But since we don't have it, it is more limiting to remove the physical keyboard for those who want it than to not use it for those who do want to avoid it ;-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Renaud View Post
    Personally I consider the (portrait) physical keyboard being one the forces of the HP phones and is actually one of the reasons why I want to buy a "slider WebOS phone". The way the keyboard is implemented is just ...right. Removing it would just add unnecessary steps to perform basic tasks, which is not a good thing.

Of course having the choice is better. But since we don't have it, it is more limiting to remove the physical keyboard for those who want it than to not use it for those who do want to avoid it ;-)
    Sliding out a keyboard is an unnecessary step. HP should hire a designer equivalent to Johnny Ives to create slider that has less bulk for those that must have a slider. Thin is in. The Pre3 needs to go on diet. HP needs to appeal to more than just the 3-4 million current webos users, and they can do that with touch screen only. Easy quick hit. The term vertical slider should clue you in that it has a limit, otherwise why emphasize "vertical"?

Webos already lends it self to a great screen only expierence, you can flick applications off the screen, gestures, etc. It's only hampered by that pesky keyboard. I's a relieve that HP is coming out with a webos tablet with no hobled together slide out keybaord. Then all you keyboard folks will see how webos is easy it is to use without a keyboard. Keboard only devices is like a hanging a milstone around HP's neck. HP should have cut their loses with the current user base that want's a keyboard and just went with the slab. Release a pixi like (with different name) later on for all the keyboard lovers.

All screen, all webos, all orientations, all the time FTW.
    Last edited by sinsin07; 03/05/2011 at 12:21 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    Silly resolution is silly.
    you mean "resoltion."

back on track: i think it's a lovely mock up, and i'd be all over that form factor.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast