Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I wonder if HP is thinking of making a slab phoneless Pre3 to compete with the iPod Touch..

Once amazon signs in with video playback on webOS devices I think it can be quite compelling.

-- Sent from my Palm Pixi using Forums
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    They need an ecosystem before they have any chance of creating a successful "iPod Touch" competitor.
    Peace, Freedom, Prosperity.

If you have a complaint/request relating to webOS please use the Feedback & Feature Requests Form at the official site.
    They need to show they can make a decent music player in WebOS before they try that my friend.
    considering the only thing they've done related to the music software since launch is add a slider after people complained i don't think there's a chance any time soon. It's been a big disappointment for me but i don't think Palm thought that stuff was important.
    Quote Originally Posted by astraith View Post
    They need to show they can make a decent music player in WebOS before they try that my friend.

Done
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan078 View Post
    I guess that could do, but since Apple made their music app and HP didn't make that one I am not sure they could make an iPod with their software. But thanks! When I get a pre 3 I'll k ow what to buy
    Yet another "HP should become Apple" thread. It doesn't matter if they could build an HP branded iPod touch. It wouldn't help them. By many accounts, the Zune is a better iPod touch. So what?

I would be happier if HP built a better printer that made use of less expensive ink. How about a better Windows laptop? Perhaps they could innovate in the enterprise and make my job less frustrating. There are lots of useful things they could be doing other than making rebranded Apple products.
    Developers should be rejoicing that Android and HP among others finally have a shot at Apple after years. When your the only game in town worth playing you can take a 30% cut whenever you want.
    HP's next big thing is music synergy so I am hoping that their app won't be lacking for long.
    An iPod Touch is just the cheapest possible gateway into Apple's ecosystem. So an iPod Touch competitor should be an ecosystem competitor, not a hardware one.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    An iPod Touch is just the cheapest possible gateway into Apple's ecosystem. So an iPod Touch competitor should be an ecosystem competitor, not a hardware one.
    Once again many folks seem to believe that matching or even beating Apple on hardware specs is the way to compete with them. Google knows better and is aggressively expanding their competing ecosystem. HP might understand that the ecosystem sells the hardware intellectually, but they've done almost nothing to date to make this a reality - just more announcement of "our specs are better" and "you can print with it wirelessly." Given Rubinstein's roots as the father of the iPod, you'd think he'd live and breathe this philosophy, but instead he wastes brain cells figuring out ways to leech off his former master's ecosystem.
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    I already have a Palm made iPod touch competitor. It's called the Pre-. I don't use it as a phone anymore, just a media/app device. I like it. HAHA
    Quote Originally Posted by benthe1 View Post
    I already have a Palm made iPod touch competitor. It's called the Pre-. I don't use it as a phone anymore, just a media/app device. I like it. HAHA
    Same here, I use mine as my podcast manager thanks to the excellent Dr. Podder and for some occasional gaming. Email and web support is still better than my new Epic 4G.
    GSM-less versions of the Veer?

Though you'd need a reason to actually want to get something like that. The iTouch carries with it access to applications and media you would have essentially needed an iPhone to access before they made the iPad. HP doesn't really have anyway to incentivise an iTouch competitor. They're better off sticking with the phone/tablet combo and making that work before trying to delve into the PMP market.
    Last edited by Orion Antares; 02/23/2011 at 01:43 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    The real question is what makes an HP tablet more competitive than an HP competitor to an iPod Touch?
    An HP pad does not depend on ecosystem as much. It will be like a netbook: a stand-alone computer play. They will consider it just another PC. In doing so, they will have to Acknowledge Apple as the No. 1 PC maker, as the iPad puts them over the top. It can't be helped. Without an ecosystem, the TP is just another tablet PC, minus Windows.
  16.    #16  
    I just felt an iPod touch competitor would be another way of getting "scale"... A way for people to be hooked into WebOS without a celllular carrier hooked to it... That's why I thought it would be a good idea...

Maybe they can collaborate with their DrDre Beats Audio technology and make it the best sounding music player... Bundled with a free Beats Audio headset... That could sell..

-- Sent from my Palm Pixi using Forums
    Apple has too much of a stronghold in the industry/market for any other players. Also, mindshare. Walk into a Best Buy, Target or even WalMart and look at how many "iPod compatible" devices you can find within minutes of walking in the music section. Television, home entertainment center, cars, etc. all come iPod compatible as a standard today.

The last big competitor to the iPod was the Zune (and it is actually a decent alternative); it does better as a service on the XBox than it does as an actual MP3 playing mobile device.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    Yet another "HP should become Apple" thread. It doesn't matter if they could build an HP branded iPod touch. It wouldn't help them. By many accounts, the Zune is a better iPod touch. So what?

I would be happier if HP built a better printer that made use of less expensive ink. How about a better Windows laptop? Perhaps they could innovate in the enterprise and make my job less frustrating. There are lots of useful things they could be doing other than making rebranded Apple products.
    That's not too likely they already dominate the printer market and are leaders i the laptop market. So there is little room for more growth there as neither are growth markets. (I'm not necessarily saying MP3 players are either) On the other hand tablets, enterprise services and storage, and mobile computing is very much a long term growth area. There new CEO and BOD very much has an enterprise focus from most of what they've said so maybe you'll get you're wish their.

On your point about cheaper ink. HP's "Imaging and Printing Department" made 67% of last quarter's departmental revenue from printer supplies, that is ink. http://forums.precentral.net/members...03-hp1825b.jpg Source CNBC.
    It makes horrible sense to lower the price on ink and make less revenue. They just aren't ever gonna do that. It would weaken a relatively stable (for now) revenue stream.

Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    HP might understand that the ecosystem sells the hardware intellectually, but they've done almost nothing to date to make this a reality - just more announcement of "our specs are better" and "you can print with it wirelessly."
    i think there is a lot of truth to this and it's been a major source of my disappointment with Palm products. Unlike some i didn't come to pre cause i hated iphones, i came cause i wanted an iphone but didn't want AT&T and the expensive plans and bad service in my area. So my perspective has always been, yes i want those things apple offers. I want something like itunes to manage my desktop library of media, i want the apps, i want the integrated ecosystem, of buying ebooks, games, apps, music, video all in one place. i want the polish that comes with their products.

So personally i totally expected that Palm, especially when it was doing its' itunes thing, was on the same page. like that what itunes had they wanted to provide. That sort of integrated media solution so i was slightly stunned that they never made their own. That the barely updated the music player. I have slowly come to realize that that stuff, the things important to me, just weren't high on their list.

truth is it may not be high on other pre users list. that's their choice. I won't get bent out of shape about it but i still think that is why apple is so strong. It's not specs, or hardware it's they've created an experience that is associated with the brand. That's the ecosystem. And i think it's why over the last 10 years they've consistently put out products people like and have such massive customer satisfaction numbers. I think it's why Apple can spec bump the ipad 2 and iphone 5 in the coming months and they'll still sell great. They aren't just selling a phone or laptop they are selling a type of experience. Starbucks don't make the best coffee. sometimes it downright sucks but they do a damn good job at selling a Starbucks experience that people like. And others don't get how to create their own branded experience. And continue to lead markets while others play catch up, merely adding higher specs or improving on less important stuff and wonder why they don't have similar earnings or brand loyalty.

Anyways my probably well more then two cents.

Quote Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post
    I just felt an iPod touch competitor would be another way of getting "scale"... A way for people to be hooked into WebOS without a celllular carrier hooked to it... That's why I thought it would be a good idea...
    Oh and for the record. if HP can make a profit i don't actually think it's a bad idea. As Nimer55 put it in the next post (it's not really a growing market, so it needs to be profitable). I just have zero faith that HP is up to it. I think it will be half assed. I think the software will be slow and overly complicated looking if they ever made it. I think they'd ignore stuff like they did on the pre like the fact that The and And are not ignored words. There's other things. I just have little faith that they get it cause after a year and a half, they haven't done it yet and honestly, if it was me running Palm, that phone wouldn't have launched w/o being the match of the iphone in every single category. like having an equalizer, gapless playback, responsive touch screen, decent file sorting, it would know that "the beatles" and "THE BEATLES" are not different artists simply because one has capital letters, etc, etc. The Pre would have had it's own podcasting software. i mean i an go on by i think i made my own view clear.

i'm not saying people that think differently are wrong or bad. that's just what i would have done. Because it is important to me.
    Last edited by blackmagic01; 02/28/2011 at 02:58 AM.
    perhaps in 1-2 years, but webos isn't close to being ready for that yet.

Hp needs to currently focus on phones, tablets, computers, printers, tv box, etc..

The ipod touch market isn't really growing, and isn't seen as a priority.
    apparently the Zune is dead
    Microsoft Said to Stop Releasing Zune as Demand Ebbs - Bloomberg
    "iPod led the market with 77 percent of unit sales last year, while the Zune failed to crack the top five, according to NPD Group Inc. "
    i think an ipod competitor is tough for anyone especally hp cause i don't think they have a good music player software. Anyways the articles says the zune software will be rolled into phones.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast