Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23
  1.    #1  
    I have a touchstone in my car and use my Pre through an Aux connector. I have been looking at getting an aftermarket car radio for bluetooth capability, but I have held off because most after market radios seem to suck, and Bluetooth sound quality is supposedly not as good as using the aux jack.

    This internal debate has led me to a number of relizations.

    1. I do not use my Pre while it is on the touch stone.

    2. Reaching for my Pre to adjust things while it is on the touchstone is not safe an ineffective.

    3. touch screens are hard to use in cars because your fingers cover up what you are trying to do and reaching for it is no fun(exaggerated on the Pre because of the screen size).

    These three facts have led me to a couple of conclusions. One of them is that I do not want to spend a 1000 dollars on a touch screen radio just for my car. The second is that there is great potentional in this market for growth an innovation.

    The most respected car makers have been tossing this problem around for a while and the most respected have gone to iDrive like systems. I have not personally used one, but i can see the benefits of tactile controls in a natural and comfortable location.

    Here is what my simple mind has put together.

    1. webOS radio with detachable tablet face 7in ish (full featured webOS tablet that you can take with you where ever you want)

    2. Basic radio controls on the dual din radio doc (would be hidden when tablet is docked) for when you forget your tablet.

    3. Using tech similar to this have a touch pad(laptop kind not the tablet) on the center console. This way you can see the position of your finger like a cursor (I picture a 50% oppacity yellow circle) and then touching the screen when you need to.

    The touch pad could interact with the radio via bluetooth and be powered by batteries for easy DIY install, but the best way to install a system similar to this would be to partner with car manufactures or Best Buy for an after market audience.
    Last edited by Titan078; 02/21/2011 at 06:08 PM.
  2. #2  
    Koolertron has been building combination radio/CD/DVD/GPS 3rd-party systems for a while now. Even as cheap at they are, they're quite functional and easy to control.
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan078 View Post
    Here is what my simple mind has put together.

    1. webOS radio with detachable tablet face 7in ish (full featured webOS tablet that you can take with you where ever you want)

    2. Basic radio controls on the dual din radio doc (would be hidden when tablet is docked) for when you forget your tablet.

    3. Using tech similar to this have a touch pad(laptop kind not the tablet) on the center console. This way you can see the position of your finger like a cursor ( I picture a 50% oppacity yellow circle) and then touching the screen when you need to.

    The touch pad could interact with the radio via bluetooth and be powered by batteries for easy DIY install, but the best way to install a system similar to this would be to partner with car manufactures or Best Buy for an after market audience.
    Awesome idea! I just took this to the patent office. I'll let you know if I make any $ with it. JK!
  4.    #4  
    just hook me up with one for free and it's a deal
  5.    #5  
    It does not look like HP is implementing any kind of doc connector so sound would be relegated to bluetooth, but this means that the cars radio could be passed around the car.
    Last edited by Titan078; 02/21/2011 at 04:46 PM.
  6. #6  
    Is it possible to stream data through those inductive coils in the Touchstone?
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by blinktreo View Post
    Is it possible to stream data through those inductive coils in the Touchstone?
    Thats a good question. The next question is what would the quality be like.
  8. #8  
    Check this video out on QNX in a vette...

    On Q: WIRED: Gadget-filled Corvette connects with QNXOn Q: WIRED: Gadget-filled Corvette connects with QNX



    Quote Originally Posted by Titan078 View Post
    I have a touchstone in my car and use my Pre through an Aux connector. I have been looking at getting an aftermarket car radio for bluetooth capability, but I have held off because most after market radios seem to suck, and Bluetooth sound quality is supposedly not as good as using the aux jack.

    This internal debate has led me to a number of relizations.

    1. I do not use my Pre while it is on the touch stone.

    2. Reaching for my Pre to adjust things while it is on the touchstone is not safe an ineffective.

    3. touch screens are hard to use in cars because your fingers cover up what you are trying to do and reaching for it is no fun(exaggerated on the Pre because of the screen size).

    These three facts have led me to a couple of conclusions. One of them is that I do not want to spend a 1000 dollars on a touch screen radio just for my car. The second is that there is great potentional in this market for growth an innovation.

    The most respected car makers have been tossing this problem around for a while and the most respected have gone to iDrive like systems. I have not personally used one, but i can see the benefits of tactile controls in a natural and comfortable location.

    Here is what my simple mind has put together.

    1. webOS radio with detachable tablet face 7in ish (full featured webOS tablet that you can take with you where ever you want)

    2. Basic radio controls on the dual din radio doc (would be hidden when tablet is docked) for when you forget your tablet.

    3. Using tech similar to this have a touch pad(laptop kind not the tablet) on the center console. This way you can see the position of your finger like a cursor (I picture a 50% oppacity yellow circle) and then touching the screen when you need to.

    The touch pad could interact with the radio via bluetooth and be powered by batteries for easy DIY install, but the best way to install a system similar to this would be to partner with car manufactures or Best Buy for an after market audience.
  9.    #9  
    Yup HP is silly if they do not get into this market blackberry and Andriod are both moving into it quickly. Fantastic video I did not know that QNX was behind OnStar.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan078 View Post
    3. touch screens are hard to use in cars because your fingers cover up what you are trying to do and reaching for it is no fun(exaggerated on the Pre because of the screen size).
    Yet another case for my sig (touchscreens are a fad). BTW, your fingers cover up what you are trying to do, even when you are not driving. But when you are driving, you should be able to successfully operate your controls without diverting your attention away from driving. You should be able to use your muscle memory to reach out and press exactly the control you want without looking at all.

    BTW, the iDrive system is just horrible. I regularly participate in the Susan G. Komen Foundation's BMW Ultimate Drive events and have driven nearly every model BMW manufactured since 2005--including the Alpina B7, which costs more than my house. Anyway, with the iDrive, you do have only one control to fool with--the little joystick thingy on the console--but in order to see what the joystick is doing you have to look at the screen in the center of the dash. iDrive IMO is a colossal failure, and most reputable motoring mags (Car & Driver, Automobile, etc.) love to hate it. It truly sucks. In later models BMW removed HVAC controls from iDrive and restored them to plain old knobs and buttons on the dash. I wish they would just abandon the whole damned thing.

    Like my sig says...
    Touchscreens are a fad.
  11.    #11  
    Your right my bet for the long run is a combination of Eye tracking and organic implants made from stem cells. I dont see voice catching on....It just feels weird talking to your self or a machine.
  12. #12  
    How is it that no car manufacturer has picked up iOS, webOS or Android as a built in factory option in their cars?

    It would be a HUGE selling point and I would want one.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by saluki42 View Post
    How is it that no car manufacturer has picked up iOS, webOS or Android as a built in factory option in their cars?

    It would be a HUGE selling point and I would want one.
    apparently that was an April fools joke I will find a better link

    and here it is
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan078 View Post
    apparently that was an April fools joke I will find a better link

    and here it is
    I actually figured there would be a car manufacturer that I had not heard of that had tried this, was hoping to hear of one a little more accessible to myself.

    I need to keep up on Roewes news.
  15.    #15  
    This one is a little closer to home, but I do not think they did much with android in the volt. Besides that commercial were they turn the car on from anywhere.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by saluki42 View Post
    I actually figured there would be a car manufacturer that I had not heard of that had tried this, was hoping to hear of one a little more accessible to myself.

    I need to keep up on Roewes news.
    Car dont look bad for 10g
  17.    #17  
    VW's Bulli van concept does iPad integration right, shockingly -- Engadget

    Very nice I hope Hp can start to market themselves to car manufactures.
  18. cntchds's Avatar
    Posts
    79 Posts
    Global Posts
    118 Global Posts
    #18  
    I seriously believe that this center "entertainment unit" that has been pushed on cars lately is worse than talking on your phone/texting. I can't believe how much people can preach about how bad it is to hold your phone next to your ear, but it's alright to have movies streaming in the center console? What is more distracting?

    Anyway, the benefits of webOS don't really apply to a car stereo. I doubt many people will be playing angry birds while texting and writing emails in separate cards while driving (One could only pray...). I think the better place to start would be making the standard car stereo more user friendly. It should take minutes, not weeks to get used to a new system. Distracted driving is deadly driving.

    /rant
  19.    #19  
    Agreed. That is why I hope my car will drive it's self by the end of the decade.
  20.    #20  
    Maybe by the end of the decade was a bit of a lazy prediction
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions