1.    #1  
    now granted Im all for make your own products, and release them, but in this day n age where the market consist of new devices every month or so, do you think its time HP looks to have another vender or 2 make webos devices? Paticularly smartphones, to me this would help out alot, since even now Microsoft will have Nokia, and Acer along with Htc,and LG currently and whoever else wants to do so. HP needs to me atleast 2 more venders to rev up production, atleast initially so that not only the market share will increase, but more Webos products would be available on each carrier and with different form factors. What does everyone think?
    I think the iphone proved that having a huge market base and a huge app store does not require that your OS be licensed out to other manufacturers, and that a wide array of form factors is also not required for success.

All that is required is that is be pretty, well marketed, and 'look' like it can do things other phones can't.

The Pre was a little too Fischer Price in it's design, although the new WebOS phones, including the Pre 2 seem to have improved on this a lot.

So far, every Palm device I've seen since the original Pre has had mediocre marketing. Even the upcoming Pre 3 has gotten remarkably little press outside of phone-geek circles.

As far as looking like it can do thing other phones can't, it's pretty much a failure. We all know that it's the only smartphone on the market with real live multi-tasking, but the average consumer thinks the iphone 4 can do real multi-tasking

The only way licensing out to other manufacturers would help, is if it get's licensed out to manufacturers that actually do marketing right.
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    It is as if you said that the result a dog and a cat mating was a giraffe. It's so completely wrong, that it's difficult to argue with someone who believes it to be true.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    I think the iphone proved that having a huge market base and a huge app store does not require that your OS be licensed out to other manufacturers, and that a wide array of form factors is also not required for success.

All that is required is that is be pretty, well marketed, and 'look' like it can do things other phones can't.

The Pre was a little too Fischer Price in it's design, although the new WebOS phones, including the Pre 2 seem to have improved on this a lot.

So far, every Palm device I've seen since the original Pre has had mediocre marketing. Even the upcoming Pre 3 has gotten remarkably little press outside of phone-geek circles.

As far as looking like it can do thing other phones can't, it's pretty much a failure. We all know that it's the only smartphone on the market with real live multi-tasking, but the average consumer thinks the iphone 4 can do real multi-tasking

The only way licensing out to other manufacturers would help, is if it get's licensed out to manufacturers that actually do marketing right.
    true, and also to point out to me of course there is no marketing for the Pre 3 at this point if launch isnt for another 4 to 6 months. Cant really market that too much with that kind of time frame. Now I def feel you on the one model thing like how the iphone has done it, but as even Rub explained they are missing product cycles, and depending on how fast they can catch up to the current cycle everytime they release a new phone going forward their phone will be either out dated, or no longer wanted. I feel atleast for the time being a vender or 2 helping to make other devices (of different form factors) will help rev up mindshare, and availablity. HP can also do the marketing for these new devices as well (im pretty sure HP's marketing team is big enough to market 2 or 4 additional products along with there other ones).
    Interesting discussion. The question is: what does HP want to be? Or better yet, where is their best path to success. I don't think they can "Out-Android" the many phones making up the Android ecosystem at this point.

Remember that Google has not made any profit on selling the OS, they hope to reap their rewards on the potential ad revenue, so I don't see why phone manufacturers would jump to webOS at this point. Nor can HP afford to have 30 different phones in play at the same time. I'm guessing most of the Android sales are of the top two phones on each carrier, and the rest don't account for nearly as much in sales, so HP doesn't need to compete with 30 phones, but just with 4 or maybe 5... IF they build a top tier phone.

I'm hoping they do NOT get sucked into playing the game of the competition because it's a no win situation for them.
    Last edited by C-Note; 02/18/2011 at 05:46 PM. Reason: added an important word to the last sentence.
    Just wanna point out that the Pre 3 probably won't be hugely advertised even when it becomes available because it is expressly the workhorse business phone in the HP stable.
    The Veer is the 'look at me, I'm tiny but can do all the things the big phones can' phone and will get a bit more advertising attention, but I'd be surprised if it gets a heavy campaign.

Expect a huge marketing push for the media-centric webOS 3.0-based phones to come later this year because they will be closer to what has become the mainstream smartphone demand, and will therefore appeal to a larger segment of the market.
    I hope not for one reason. I don't want fights to break out over which webos device is the best like I hear over android. HTC vs Moto vs w.e.
    I don't think it would be a good idea for HP to license webOS.

I think a big reason why Google licensed Android is because Google isn't a hardware company. Unlike Apple, Google didn't have a history of making great computer hardware to leverage in the smartphone space, so they gave Android to Motorola, HTC, Samsung, and other companies with hardware experience.

HP has hardware experience. HP has made all sorts of different computers. It is primarily a hardware company and it doesn't need someone else for hardware.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    they really dont need to because of HP's huge distribution channels..