1.    #1  
    I am conviced after using my 90 for a week now that I could learn to touch [thumb] type on the keyboard. To me, this would be a desirable skill to utilize.

One barrier I have found is not having raised marks on a couple of keys, like you have for the index fingers on a regular QWERTY keyboard. As I have practiced, I have found it difficult for my thumbs to 'stay oriented' withough looking down at the keyboard fairly often.

Anybody had any success? Any tips or tricks?
    Originally posted by cvore
    I am conviced after using my 90 for a week now that I could learn to touch [thumb] type on the keyboard. To me, this would be a desirable skill to utilize.

One barrier I have found is not having raised marks on a couple of keys, like you have for the index fingers on a regular QWERTY keyboard. As I have practiced, I have found it difficult for my thumbs to 'stay oriented' withough looking down at the keyboard fairly often.

Anybody had any success? Any tips or tricks?
    I've not done this, but it seems possible that taking a sewing needle, heating it with a candle and then making little indentations in a few keys would serve you well. Just don't push down too hard.

This might help you too. http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/105-1.htm
    I'm not a normal typist. I type with three fingers. (The fastest typists I've known have typed with two fingers. Go figure.) I set my Treo 90 on a table or desk and type with both index fingers. Using WPM, I've clocked myself at 34 wpm. Thanks to Treo's built-in word-correcting thumboard, that's error free. By contrast, my Graffiti is 13-15wpm with 15% errors.
    Overall, I've found the keyboard to be good increasing my accuracy and speed, but at some sacrifice. I was heavily reliant on using Palm shortcuts. This is now quite cumbersome with the thumb-board requiring 6 keystrokes just to insert the shortcut symbol, followed by the actual shortcut keys. For example to enter the date time stamp (something that I use all the time) you would have to enter the following 9 keystrokes:
    s
    Enter
    D
    T
    S

Is there some hack or something around that enables you to reassign the characters and/or their order on the thumb-board? If not this would be a nifty thing!

Also I've noticed since I got my Treo 270 that it has a sort of "AutoComplete" feature whereby one may type a word followed by a space.. say "wont " and it is automatically changed to "won't " (with an apostrophe) or if you type "i " it is then replaced with "I ". This is a great time-saving feature. Is there a way to either edit the list of auto-corrected words and/or add to them? If not, this would also be an excellent enhancement.
    Anthony,

Pop! will add an on-screen shotcut list. It's at Palmgear. It's a great little app by Rick Bram, the man who invented palm docs. Install both the hack and the app and set the app to launch the hack on startup. I used Buttons T to have option-memo launch it. Then just tap an item from the list and it's inserted. If you pay the shareware fee, you can add categories.

The autocorrector built into the Treo is not programmable. Handspring will not even release a list of words included. But basically it does corrections of common words (try "thier" space), most common contractions (try "doesnt" space), caps an "i" when followed by a space, and completes time abbreviations (try "mo" space or "sec" space.) You can't turn it off and most people don't even know it's working. I wondered why my thumboard typing was so accuare for the first month I had my Treo 90.
    Thanks for the reference to Pop!

This forced me to do a bit of hunting through all the other hacks and I found one called CorrectHack.

CorrectHack 1.1

This is more graceful than pop because it requires no assigning of buttons. Just type a combination of keystrokes and viola! Only problem is that I often use the short cut dts [Date and Time stamp] and this doesn't work with it. But it's a damn good start!
    Glad you found something that works. I guess I should also mention LookDA. It's a desk accessory, so it needs to be launched. I find the old version work better than the new version on the Treo. It puts a list of six words at the bottom of the screen, As you type, the list modifies. Tap a word and it changes the one on your screen. Sounds like CorrectHack is a better option since it works automatically.
    Not only that, but you also don't even need to type the shortcut key. It's better than what I had when I was on Graffiti.

I have to say that I have had the occassional crash requiring a soft reset. Some error message about memory management. Next time it occurs, I'll note it down.

CorrectHack is quite an old application and is far from perfect. It may be worth my while dropping an email to the author to let him know that there may be new life in his old app.

I'm getting damn fast on that little thumb board though. I find it is not only more accurate than Graffitti, but a lot more efficient. I admit that it helps being a touch typist and a lot of the key strokes don't require you to be constantly eye-balling the thumbboard... especially when you know the next letter that you need to type is right next the last last letter you just keyed.
    Anthony,

If CorrectHack is causing crashes, you might try TrapWeaver. I think it's at Palmgear. It's acts as a hack governor and makes sure processes proceed in correct order. I downloaded CorrectHack yesterday to play with. No crashes so far.

CorrectHack seems like it can pretty well replace shortcuts. I'm just curious if it gets slow when you've got a few dozen shortcuts and a couple hundred word corrections in it. Having the ability to insert a thousand characters with a few button presses could save a lot of thumbstrokes.

Kevin
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    Also check out MessagEase (stand-alone app) and MessagEaseKB (keyboard replacement). These display an on-screen keyboard (which you would use with your stylus, not the built-in keyboard) but also has the ability to expand text using certain strokes. It's similar in function to Fitaly stamp/keyboard with one significant difference: It's freeware.
    Message Ease is a neat idea, but the learning curve is huge and it puts us back to using the screen. NewPen can restore graffiti to a Treo, but most of us want to get away from having the use the screen, since the keyboard can be a very powerful tool when configured right.
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    Originally posted by J. Kevin Wolfe
    Message Ease is a neat idea, but the learning curve is huge and it puts us back to using the screen. NewPen can restore graffiti to a Treo.
    The learning curve is huge, I'll definitely agree, but what's NewPen?
    Newpen is a freewaer graffiti restoring app that works well on the Treo. Palmgear's got it. I think freewareplam.com does too. It turns the bottom portion of your screen into a virtual graffiti area. Longtime graffiti users may find it helpful to ease the frustration of switching to a thumboard. It's also handy for taking notes in the dark.
    As I mentioned before, I was a around 20 words per minute in Graffiti but I recon that I'm at least double that with the thumbboard. I'm almost boarding on touch typing, but I think it would be extremely difficult to completely touch type on the thumbboard.

CorrectHack will consistently crash if you are using Documents To Go! If you key in a shortcut set of keys, it hangs the palm device and renders the entire document useless. It won't even sync that document afterwards. I must remember to disable CorrectHack when using DocsToGo.

However so far CorrectHack seems to work like a charm everywhere else.

I have around 45 shortcuts in CorrectHack, and I haven't noticed any degradation in speed yet.
    I've used CorrectHack in Memo, QED and some word apps I've designed. No problems in any yet. I did notice that some single character options don't work. I tried ( to trigger () and " to trigger "", but niether work.

Kevin
    I've used CorrectHack in Memo, QED and some word apps I've designed. No problems in any yet. I did notice that some single character options don't work. I tried ( to trigger () and " to trigger "", but niether work.

Kevin
    Could it be because it would cause some massive recursive nightmare? " expanding into "" and then """" and then """""""" and so on.
    Last edited by KRamsauer; 10/14/2002 at 11:02 AM.
    Newpen is a freewaer graffiti restoring app that works well on the Treo. Palmgear's got it. I think freewareplam.com does too. It turns the bottom portion of your screen into a virtual graffiti area. Longtime graffiti users may find it helpful to ease the frustration of switching to a thumboard. It's also handy for taking notes in the dark.
    If you like NewPen, try RecoEcho. I found it to be much more stable.

HTH....
    "I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer."