1.    #1  
    Simple question (with a long footnote): Do you think we will see a sprint announcement for summer?

Your confidence might give me hope to hold out.

I couldn't wait for think beyond. Maybe I was being overly-optimistic, but I honestly believed I would be able to pre-order a new HP/WebOS phone for Sprint soon after the event. Sadly, that is not going to happen.

I love my pre-. We have had some great times together. A few months back I posted my requirements to stay with Palm/HP:

1) A Sprint announcement
    2) A slab style form factor
    3) Hulu and/or netflix apps
    4) Little or no time to market

Think beyond has come and gone, and HP didn't deliver. Don't get me wrong. I'm excited about the pre3/veer/touchpad, I just don't have confidence that anyone else will be. I'm tired of being on a platform with no (edit: comparatively little) developer support, while the best apps go to IOS and Android. I don't think I want to wait until summer to buy a phone that no one else will. But, I love the WebOS UI.

HP might be able to make a dent in the market after a year or so of solid marketing and great releases, but I don't expect it to happen soon. I know that others have already said everything that I'm saying now. Not trying to be original or anything, but I'm disillusioned.

Part of me still wants to wait for some new, amazing WebOS slab phone for Sprint, but I'm not sure I can wait anymore. If no one thinks it's coming, I might think beyond to Android.
    CTIA is March 22-24th. I'm not 100% sure but I believe that is where Sprint announced the EVO 4G last year. Hopefully we'll hear some device announcements then.
    Global Posts
    610 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oversteer325 View Post
    CTIA is March 22-24th. I'm not 100% sure but I believe that is where Sprint announced the EVO 4G last year. Hopefully we'll hear some device announcements then.
    My question is: Does HP want to be the one who announced their products or are they going to let Sprint?

I believe that HP wants more control and they will announce new hardware themselves, especially if that announcement comes in the form of having multiple carriers.
    I predict Evo 2 and Epic 2 availability on sprint being announced.
    well, sounds like according to your requirements, your choice is already made. Take it from me though, there's no greenier grass with sprint, and the greenier grass with other cell providers is just more expensive. I have tried the epic, and the optimus and both are great phones, but there not webos and I have come back to my pre-.

take this with a grain of salt but I'm really in with my local sprint cooperate store, the manager actually had me come and basically run a "get to know" webos meeting for those who bought one on launch day. Anyways, I went into the store to yesterday and they were slow and it looked like they were having a impromptu meeting. The manager invited me over to introduce me to the regional director of the western states...needless to say she said I've heard about you, you have any questions? Hhmm, yes I do, when are you gonna get the pre 3? She smiled and said, "Spring is gonna be a good time for you " and she smiled after that...so, I take that to mean either it's coming out in spring to sprint or it will get announced on sprint in spring
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bakerman1 View Post
    well, sounds like according to your requirements, your choice is already made. Take it from me though, there's no greenier grass with sprint, and the greenier grass with other cell providers is just more expensive. I have tried the epic, and the optimus and both are great phones, but there not webos and I have come back to my pre-.

take this with a grain of salt but I'm really in with my local sprint cooperate store, the manager actually had me come and basically run a "get to know" webos meeting for those who bought one on launch day. Anyways, I went into the store to yesterday and they were slow and it looked like they were having a impromptu meeting. The manager invited me over to introduce me to the regional director of the western states...needless to say she said I've heard about you, you have any questions? Hhmm, yes I do, when are you gonna get the pre 3? She smiled and said, "Spring is gonna be a good time for you " and she smiled after that...so, I take that to mean either it's coming out in spring to sprint or it will get announced on sprint in spring
    You recorded the conversation, right? No audio or it didn't happen.
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    OBTW... I just compared what new service on Sprint would be for me (as if I were signing up as a new customer, though I am a current customer) vs the equivalent on Verizon. I went with 1500 minutes plus unlimited text on VZW with 2 lines. That plan was something like $130/month, and then add $30/month/line for data. No insurance, no discounts (assuming I would still get them there), before tax was just under $180/month. On Sprint, 1400 anytime minutes, unlimited text, unlimited data plus the $10/month/line data charge, with no insurance and no discounts applied (which i do get) came out to about $140/month. Monthly pricing was based on the above plans and options, using the Pre 2 on VZW (which I don't think added extra fees) and the Pixi on Sprint, which added the $10/month/line charge.
    Quote Originally Posted by craigwann View Post
    HP might be able to make a dent in the market after a year or so of solid marketing and great releases, but I don't expect it to happen soon. I know that others have already said everything that I'm saying now. Not trying to be original or anything, but I'm disillusioned.
    You've answered your own question. Don't wait. Jump on the Evo or the Echo. I'll tell you honestly though, I suspect you're going to be doing a lot of "why did I do this" during the next year or so.

Part of me still wants to wait for some new, amazing WebOS slab phone for Sprint, but I'm not sure I can wait anymore. If no one thinks it's coming, I might think beyond to Android.
    I think if a slab phone comes out, it's at least 8 months away, maybe more.
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    You've answered your own question. Don't wait. Jump on the Evo or the Echo. I'll tell you honestly though, I suspect you're going to be doing a lot of "why did I do this" during the next year or so.
    Precisely why I am letting my free upgrade (Sprint Premiere going to Silver) die on the vine rather than use it and be stuck with something I don't want for 2 years. The free upgrade will come back in time for the new devices if Sprint carries them.
    Thankfully my company is getting me a Blackberry Torch, so I will stick it out with my Sprint Pre for now as my personal device. Maybe I'll use my annual upgrade to get my wife something else since she's been complaining about her Pre lately. I would just hate to lose my annual upgrade with the new Premier program.
    "angiest" it's comments like yours that keep people from sharing any info at all because they don't want to get flamed...like I said in my post, take it with a grain of salt...

as far as price is concerned, I recently priced out verizon for a possible switch for pre2's and an iphone for my daughter...
    current: sprint 5 lines, 1500 mins, n/w at 6p, any mobile/any time, ins on 3 lines, 23% discount...ttl cost $185 month

verizon: with the same basic plan with 2000 mins but no any mobile/any time, and only data on 3 of 5 lines and nights and weekends at 9p, and ins on 3 lines...total cost $280 :/

can't see spending almost $100 more a month for less service
    forgot to mention, that verizon price is with a 15% discount
    Simple question (with a long footnote): Do you think we will see a sprint announcement for summer?
    I was in a Sprint Repair Center asking about any new HTC phones coming to Sprint. The rep had no info. So I asked about any new Palm phones. He said he didn't think they would carry Palm anymore. One of the owners of the franchise said "that's not true Bill, we'll be getting Palm phones at the end of the year". So take that for what it's worth.

Personally, If Palm came to Sprint tomorrow I would wait 6 months to buy one to see if they get their act together. And I think webOS is the best mobile OS on the planet as far as UI.
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bakerman1 View Post
    "angiest" it's comments like yours that keep people from sharing any info at all because they don't want to get flamed...like I said in my post, take it with a grain of salt...

as far as price is concerned, I recently priced out verizon for a possible switch for pre2's and an iphone for my daughter...
    current: sprint 5 lines, 1500 mins, n/w at 6p, any mobile/any time, ins on 3 lines, 23% discount...ttl cost $185 month

verizon: with the same basic plan with 2000 mins but no any mobile/any time, and only data on 3 of 5 lines and nights and weekends at 9p, and ins on 3 lines...total cost $280 :/

can't see spending almost $100 more a month for less service

ahh, perhaps you missed the wink, that was not meant to be serious. It was a take on the various "pictures or it didn't happen" comments one sees...
  15.    #15  
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I think I will wait until CTIA to see what Sprint announces, but I may just be Android bound. I just have trouble pulling the trigger. The OS just seems so clunky... If I make the move, I'm sure I will be back on WebOS one day!