Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    HP CEO says company is taking 'too long to get to market' with innovations, we wholeheartedly agree -- Engadget

nice little story over on engadget that was just posted about Apotheker agreeing that it is taking entirely too long to get products from ready to ship status, to store shelves...

**EDIT** this is an interview done by the WSJ

**EDIT 2**

WSJ: What are H-P's strengths and weaknesses?

Mr. Apotheker: It is No. 1 or No. 2 in each of its businesses. It has passionate people and a great heritage. It has an unbelievable innovation culture. Still. And it has great customers who are very loyal.

What's the weakness? We need to get way more business done in markets other than the U.S. We need to speak to our customers as one H-P. We need to fire up our innovation engine and get our products to market faster. It's not that we aren't innovative; it's that it takes too long to get to market. We have some weaknesses in our software portfolio. And I think we need to be far more outspoken about what H-P is all about. We didn't do that for many years
    Last edited by gmleonar; 02/18/2011 at 06:53 AM.
    Good to know he's getting the hints from our community and everyone else. Maybe he'll be able to change that and get stuff flying.
    Sprint Love
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    how true that is, dreaming of a pre3......
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
    A CEO’s opinions and desires do not always result in actual company performance.

Leo Apotheker said they will stop making announcement for products that are currently not available for market – then HP announced the Veer, Pre 3 and TouchPad months before that are ready for sale.

He may have the title of CEO and want to steer the company in another direction, but it takes a long time to turn a ship as big as HP.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    Quote Originally Posted by Leo
    It's not that we aren't innovative; it's that it takes too long to get to market. We have some weaknesses in our software portfolio. And I think we need to be far more outspoken about what H-P is all about. We didn't do that for many years.
    Well, what're they waiting for?

Like they say here in Atlanta; "Get'r done!"

(But being from New York, this "get'r done" thing makes no sense to my ears.)
    Last edited by dbdoinit; 02/18/2011 at 07:45 AM.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by not-yet-pre View Post
    A CEO’s opinions and desires do not always result in actual company performance.

Leo Apotheker said they will stop making announcement for products that are currently not available for market – then HP announced the Veer, Pre 3 and TouchPad months before that are ready for sale.

He may have the title of CEO and want to steer the company in another direction, but it takes a long time to turn a ship as big as HP.

u r absolutely correct, but if there is ANYONE that could make a difference, it would be him, and he has/is voicing his concerns towards the matter, and its only a matter of time before corrections r made. i can wait for the pre3, ive been through 5 pres and on my 6th, and i could go through another one before the 3rd iteration of the pre is released, and i will still wait. just nice to kno that someone is taking interest in such a pressing matter like this
    From this interview, maybe he actually believe all the products would be available "weeks" after the announcement on the 9th.

That tells me two things, the communication between HP and Palm isn't quite there yet and the he (the CEO) needs to start whippin' some ***** to get stuff out.
    Sprint Love
  8. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gmleonar View Post
    u r absolutely correct, but if there is ANYONE that could make a difference, it would be him, and he has/is voicing his concerns towards the matter, and its only a matter of time before corrections r made. i can wait for the pre3, ive been through 5 pres and on my 6th, and i could go through another one before the 3rd iteration of the pre is released, and i will still wait. just nice to kno that someone is taking interest in such a pressing matter like this
    Maybe, organisational politics are complex and many CEOs never managed to change the underlying culture and direction of a company.
    Quote Originally Posted by gmleonar View Post
    What's the weakness? We need to get way more business done in markets other than the U.S. We need to speak to our customers as one H-P. We need to fire up our innovation engine and get our products to market faster. It's not that we aren't innovative; it's that it takes too long to get to market. We have some weaknesses in our software portfolio. And I think we need to be far more outspoken about what H-P is all about. We didn't do that for many years
    It's interesting that you find the highlighted to be the key quote. I think this is just as important:

"We need to speak to our customers as one H-P."

Think the fix to that one starts with him, and spreads down to anybody speaking publicly about WebOS.
    he needs to light a fire under somebody's azz...
    I think This bodes well for HP. He just doesn't sit at the top and make decisions. He listens and watches. He knows that HP's competitors are speeding up and they are quicker to market. He also knows that because HP is so big there are communication issues if he can fix the communication issues it will probably help speed things along as well. Overall he seems like a very savvy CEO.
    Quote Originally Posted by not-yet-pre View Post

Ok, I ve commented on this in other threads. I have been in Sr. management of companies (not quite the size of HP) and delt directly with such executives and here are my thoughts, since he has gone public again.

My belief is Apotheker had been briefed on the plan/timeline for bringing these products to market and he was NOT happy and let it be know to the staff. So, when he gives his speech/interview (mind you he is aware of these products coming to market by June), stating HP will no longer announce products unless they are ready for the market within weeks, was him simply saying this b/c he is ****ed about the long wait (like many here) b/w announcement and release dates.

Based on my experience and his comments, products being ready for release within weeks will apply to future products, not the ones introduced on 2/9/11. I also believe HP is working around the clock to get the 2/9/11 products out the door asap, b/c he riding their butts about this.
    Quote Originally Posted by RoverNole View Post
    Ok, I ve commented on this in other threads. I have been in Sr. management of companies (not quite the size of HP) and delt directly with such executives and here are my thoughts, since he has gone public again.

My belief is Apotheker had been briefed on the plan/timeline for bringing these products to market and he was NOT happy and let it be know to the staff. So, when he gives his speech/interview (mind you he is aware of these products coming to market by June), stating HP will no longer announce products unless they are ready for the market within weeks, was him simply saying this b/c he is ****ed about the long wait (like many here) b/w announcement and release dates.

Based on my experience and his comments, products being ready for release within weeks will apply to future products, not the ones introduced on 2/9/11. I also believe HP is working around the clock to get the 2/9/11 products out the door asap, b/c he riding their butts about this.
    No, sorry.

Apotheker: HP to ship products within weeks of announcement, wants to sit at the cool kids table | PreCentral.net | The #1 Palm Pre and Pixi Community

Speaking of phones and slates, Apotheker said that the days of multi-month delays between announcements and shipping are over: “HP will stop making announcements for stuff it doesn’t have. When HP makes announcements, it will be getting ready to ship.” The next announcement comes in less than two weeks on February 9th, and the HP CEO promised that products announced there will be available a few weeks later.
    Quote Originally Posted by RoverNole View Post
    I don't know about your experience, but I know what his comments were. Your take is not factually correct. Leo said that the products were ready in the context of the 2/9 announcement. What he said led everyone to believe that those products would be shipping within weeks, not months. Now, you say he meant the next batch of products. That's not what he said.
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ••dbdoinit View Post
    Well, what're they waiting for?

Like they say here in Atlanta; "Get'r done!"

(But being from New York, this "get'r done" thing makes no sense to my ears.)
    dun, not done.
    I kind of get the feeling he's not very involved or hands on at HP. People working in the trenches probably roll their eyes when he talks. HP might've been better off promoting one of the VP's.
    I just hope they can pull a Motorola Atrix and push up the dates... HP you still got a chance.

It's official: Motorola pushes up Atrix 4G launch to Feb. 22 -- Engadget
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Actually, I believe RoverNole is 100% correct... depsite the literal nature of what he said in that pre-Feb 9th article - with one exception - I believe he made this policy internally first, and was told it would be compliled with going forward from those who he mandated it from, but, products that were just about to be released (WebOS devices) were not going to be able to comply, and no one fessed up to that specific exception.

I thinkthat there is some disciplinarian action inside of the corporate HQ of HP for that little exception, currently.

The man clearly has an idea of what HP's issues are and how to make things work better in today's world, and this recent WSJ article reinforces that.

I wouldnt expect anything like this to happen again, if he is a man of action.

We'll see, though.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by tooearly View Post
    From this interview, maybe he actually believe all the products would be available "weeks" after the announcement on the 9th.

That tells me two things, the communication between HP and Palm isn't quite there yet and the he (the CEO) needs to start whippin' some ***** to get stuff out.
    it takes a long time to change communication in a large corporation, and HP especially since it's like a mother ship
    on a bright side, for us webOS believers, at least we're not waiting on RIM.. the playbook was originally announced in September so, we're ahead of schedule actually
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast