1.    #1  
    I believe they could both be out at the same time if HP simply marketed them as two different things, rather than an older and newer version. Seeing the post on the front page of precentral made me realize it's just like the pre 3 and veer.... same style, different size! I believe it would sell far more successfully if they simply renamed one or the other.
    I agree; the different form factors and slightly different configurations and features could simultaneously cater to different set of people. If the iPhone 3G, 3GS and 4G can co-exist - I don't see any reason why the Veer, Pre2 and Pre3 cannot co-exist!
    Pre supposedly means a 'pre-quel' to something we may never see, the way things have been going for the last two years.
    Doesn't matter. Even if the Pre 3 were named something else, it wouldn't come out until June. Developers haven't had a chance to retool PDK apps to fit the new resolution, carrier relationships haven't been established and the OS hasn't been completed yet.
    Palm III>Sony CLIÉ S300>Sony CLIÉ N760C>Sony CLIÉ TG50 & Tapwave Zodiac 2>Handspring Treo 600>Palm Treo 700p>Palm Treo 755p>Palm Pre>FrankenPre2
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by sumanb View Post
    Doesn't matter. Even if the Pre 3 were named something else, it wouldn't come out until June. Developers haven't had a chance to retool PDK apps to fit the new resolution, carrier relationships haven't been established and the OS hasn't been completed yet.
    Well I understand there are a few more complications with the phones than two under the same name with a number, but how about a codename at least... Like

Pre 2 a.k.a. (HP _____)
    Pre 3 a.k.a. (Hp _____)

Just to differentiate them, so people looking at both products have the idea that they are getting more original options, rather than just more renditions of the same. It just seems silly how they're doing it now.
    Last edited by gmanjudo; 02/16/2011 at 01:14 PM.
    How about Palm2 and Palm3 ?
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Haha. I wish Palm was still in the name... unfortunately they seem pretty keen on killing that branding eh?
    I personally think it's a mistake. The name Palm has a lot less baggage associated with it than the name Pre does, IMHO.
    I personally think it's a mistake. The name Palm has a lot less baggage associated with it than the name Pre does, IMHO.
    Agreed. While I love the form factor/design of the Pre, the build quality turned a lot of people off. On the other hand, people still like the old Treo/Centros. HP probably should have capitalized on the Palm name by putting HP|Palm on the devices as the last HP smartphones were bulky Windows PPC designs that no one wanted. I had suggested Phoenix for the Pre 3 to signify the rebirth of Palm. Apparently, according to WebOSRoundup, the Pre 3 and the Veer are the last Palm only designs, so Ruby probably had too much influence on the names of the devices.
    Palm III>Sony CLIÉ S300>Sony CLIÉ N760C>Sony CLIÉ TG50 & Tapwave Zodiac 2>Handspring Treo 600>Palm Treo 700p>Palm Treo 755p>Palm Pre>FrankenPre2
    They're calling it Pre because of PreCentral.
    It's just impossible to argue that Palm failed by repeating over and over again what little marketshare and mindshare webOS has achieved, and then argue that the Pre name will pull down sales because it carries such heavy negative associations. I thought nobody knew about the Pre? How can they hate it, then?
    PreGS and Pre Pro.
    You know, when someone bad goes into witness protection, they're relocated and their names are changed. The Pre has been relocated from Palm to HP, all they need to do now is change its name and no one will remember it's sullied past...
    I think it was not to alienate the webOS customers that were already here.

My Themes:CLICK HERE
    HP Next1
    HP Next2
    Pre Spring and Pre Summer.
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    It's just impossible to argue that Palm failed by repeating over and over again what little marketshare and mindshare webOS has achieved, and then argue that the Pre name will pull down sales because it carries such heavy negative associations. I thought nobody knew about the Pre? How can they hate it, then?
    I don't think its a function of reputation, I just think that "Pre" sounds stupid. Never liked it.
    Pre is fine. They can drop the 3. No one will remember anyway and the Pre3 is going to be the Pre-quell for other devices not necessarily phones.

Look at the lack of branding consistency - Pre, Veer and then TouchPad. Which one here is not like the others. Compare that to something as simple as iPod, iPhone, iPad or even Droid. What they hell is a Pre? I actually can imagine what a TouchPad is.

In the end, most of this won't matter. It'll be the HP iPad for the masses.
    I think they need to save the palm name for the big guns. Same thing with the treo name.

(yes, I live in a dream world.)
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeisnowonfire View Post
    I think it was not to alienate the webOS customers that were already here.
    HP and Palm have proven repeatedly that they really don't care about the remaining Pre users.

The term Pre reminds me of Pre-release. Since the phone was released in Jun 2009, it has epitomized the concept of releasing beta software and hardware into the wild. Pre is a perfect name for it.

Tht would make the Pre 2 ("before 2") webOS Phone 1 (WP1).
    The Pre 3 will be WP2.