Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    It all depends on what your plan is. You can't unanimously say that Sprint is/isn't cheaper. For me, I have a family plan with 4 lines and data and a bunch of loyal customer discounts. To switch to Verizon, I would have to pay individually for each data plan, easily raising my bill by an additional $100/month. AT&T's no better. T-Mobile's pretty comparable, but they have no phones I like and unless I travel a lot internationally, I'd rather stick with the better network here (Sprint's is second in this nation).

Also, while the customer service guys at Dan@Sprint.com are more knowledgeable, that doesn't mean they're privy to release roadmaps, he could only be talking about the current device lineup. Given that HP/Palm hasn't informed us of carriers for the Pre 3/Veer, I'd rather wait and see how this all works out.
    Last edited by sumanb; 02/16/2011 at 08:38 AM.
    Palm III>Sony CLIÉ S300>Sony CLIÉ N760C>Sony CLIÉ TG50 & Tapwave Zodiac 2>Handspring Treo 600>Palm Treo 700p>Palm Treo 755p>Palm Pre>FrankenPre2
    yeah unfortanutly I will be staying with sprint regardless if Webos is offered or not. I have been on sprint for 12 years, and have not had any issues with them, plus to me it is cheaper having had AT&T and VZ already.
    Quote Originally Posted by giograves View Post
    People say Sprint is cheaper, but after doing the math, i personally dont see that much of a difference for a non unlimited plan user. My personal incentive for Sprint is a 27% employee discount and the sprint gold premier yearly upgrade.

Most people are going to lose their Gold status and be charged an extra 10 bucks when they get a new handset. To me that definitely negates the minimal cost advantage.

Have to ask your self whats more important in the end

carrier > device
    device > carrier

I'm debating springing for this Evo to have to eat a 10 dollar/mo. charge now. Sprint really isn't giving that much incentive to stay. Even with my discount i could get the phone i REALLY want for only a few bucks more. The Torch.
    It's not purely one or the other. I want a good enough device on a good enough carrier that's cheap enough. So far, that's been Sprint. I am wondering if one of the better phones on Virgin might be a good enough device with good enough service, because that would save me a TON of money. But I'm leaning towards thinking that the service might not be good enough, and the device is a little less than I want, and I will probably stay with Sprint. Sprint has pretty good service and is cheaper (for me) than AT&T, T-Mobile, or Verizon. The Evo Shift is looking like it might be a nice device. Not quite as nice as the Pre 2 or Pre 3 as a device, but with a lot of good apps. But I might be lazy and wait and see.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Amos View Post
    since it doesnt look like Sprint is getting the new WebOS phone, except for all those "Sprint Reps" rumors and now they are taking away the early upgrades and adding data charges, WHY STAY?

even if Sprint was to announce they are carring the new WebOS phone it wont be coming till after Sprint early upgrade expires

any other thoughts?
    My only other thought is what reason is there to change? If another carrier has a phone you'd rather have, or one that is compelling enough to make you not want to wait for a Pre 3, then leave and buy.

If a Pre 3 is what you want, and you're not ready to give up the on waiting for one yet, then there's no reason to leave, as no one else is offering the Pre 3 right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by bnceo View Post
    27%?!?!??!?!? I work for the fed gov and I only get 15%!
    Might check with Sprint. I work for a government contractor, and the rate for our company recently jumped from 15% to 25%. However, I'm not ready to sign a new contract yet.
    Global Posts
    610 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Might check with Sprint. I work for a government contractor, and the rate for our company recently jumped from 15% to 25%. However, I'm not ready to sign a new contract yet.
    Yeah, not a contractor. Will investigate.
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    Officially Sprint has said nothing about whether or not they are carrying the new HP phones (except Pre 2), and neither has anyone else. So unless you absolutely have to have a new "free" phone now that you will be stuck with for 2 years (unless you become Premiere Gold), let the free upgrade go, you will get in back, and wait until you have a real reason to make a decision. For me the timing works out great. I will hit 22 months with Sprint in June, and by then we should know whether or not Sprint is carrying the new phones.
  8.    #28  
    a cheap service is GREAT if they have a phone you want or like
    Answer: To save hundreds or even a thousand dollars over your contract.

Plan Comparisons: Sprint, Verizon, AT&T - Sprint Saves $100's

Also, Sprint is the only carrier we know of that will give anyone at least a 10% discount from their stated prices:

Sprint EVP Discount

Some get 18%. I get 25%. Some get as much as a 28% discount.

Others have said that other companies give a discount to everyone but no one has found a link to it yet.

Also Palm has done a really good job having the hotest (non-iPhone) phone each year.
    2010: EVO, Epic
    2009: Pre

The hot phone for the summer typically has it's release date announced in March or April with release in the summer.

At CES, Verizon announced 13 Androids, ATT: 12, T-Mobile: 6, and US Cellular 5. Sprint announced the EVO Shift. Since then it has only been the Kyocera Echo (what were they thinking?). ATT and Verizon are off in Steve Jobs world now.

Bottom line: Sprint needs the Pre3 far more than anyone else. I hope they know it.
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    Answer: To save hundreds or even a thousand dollars over your contract.

Plan Comparisons: Sprint, Verizon, AT&T - Sprint Saves $100's

Also, Sprint is the only carrier we know of that will give anyone at least a 10% discount from their stated prices:

Sprint EVP Discount

Some get 18%. I get 25%. Some get as much as a 28% discount.

Others have said that other companies give a discount to everyone but no one has found a link to it yet.
    It seems that this has been hashed out in multiple threads. I will say to anyone thinking about cost now do your homework. Look at what your phone and data usage is and look at all four majors and any minor players in your area too.
    The discounts for everyone vary to so you can't simply say that Sprint is better for everyone. Through my company I can get 10% off tmobile, 20% off verizon, 20% off spring, and 21% off att.

I will say that it seems that Sprint generally has the best rate for power users, but they don't have any cheaper option for those that aren't, meaning people like me that don't burn up as much data are subsidizing those that are. I user my phone every day quite a bit and usually average 1gb per month.
    I will be leaving Sprint soon for another carrier and in my situation with two smart phones I will be saving $480 a year, this is before applying any discounts. So sure Sprint might be cheaper for you, but I'm going to do quite nicely going somewhere else.
    As I said at the beginning, I would encourage anyone thinking of a new phone or plan to look around. Don't even let Early Termination charges scare you. I researched that too, and they all drop over time, in the last 6 months of a two year contract it's only $50, I'll make that up in less then 2 months.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Amos View Post
    a cheap service is GREAT if they have a phone you want or like
    Good coverage where you live/work is more important to me than having a specific device.

Cheap service is a definite bonus as well.
    Tmobile is as cheap as Sprint depending on usage. You can get 2 phones with 1500 minutes, unlimited n &w, unlimted tmobile to tmobile, unlimited text, unlimited data all for $149.99 plus you get HSPDA PLUS thats about the same as two android phones with Sprint.
    Coverage is a different issue.
    coverage is my big point. I came to sprint for Pre and I knew sprint had a tower less than a mile from my house. BUT I live in a real hilly area and the tower is on the other side of the hill from me. If I stand in a certain spot in my house, I get 1 bar. I have to out to the street if I get a call.

I'll be glad to pay +$15 a month switching to VZ or ATT and get a couple bars anywhere in my house. If I wasn't such a webos addict, I would have switched when wp7 came out.
    I agree that Sprint may be cheaper if you want or need all the services you are paying for in the data unlimited packages. I analyzed my Sprint usage over the past 20 months last night and figured out that I may be able to save on another carrier. I don't really need unlimited data or messaging based on my past usage. I also don't need a nav service. I may be shopping for a new carrier when my Sprint contact is up in June (or maybe sooner). This depends, of course, on what we hear from HP in the meantime.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12