Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I was one of the many who thought the P2 would never be released on Verizon because it was so late to market, and fell under the hammer of bigger releases. We were clearly wrong. As it stands, the situation is worse than I thought it would be. Not only is the P2 being released, it is released AFTER the big announcement of the Veer and P3. I can't recall a company announcing a new version of a product, and releasing a prequel.

I would think this will hurt the future sales of the Veer which is supposed to be out soon. Every person who buys a P2 will not be buying a Veer. With a two-year contract, they will also not be buying a P3.

A better strategy would have been to continue cranking out the P+ for $50 for a few more weeks until the first of the new products were ready. The P2, a good phone, now serves to muddy the waters, and makes the introduction of newer products, already announced, much more complicated.

I am honestly at a loss for why the P2 was released on Verizon at all. I would love to get some insight from people who have a working hypothesis.

Note to mods: I'm not sure of the best forum for the discussion. It has an impact on the sales of future hardware, so I put it there. It could also go into the P2 area. If you decide to move it, feel free to delete this paragraph.
    This is an easy one. The Pre 2 was released because...uhm...well you see...the real plan was to...er...they wanted to...sorry, the wife is calling, let me get back to you...
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    This is an easy one. The Pre 2 was released because...uhm...well you see...the real plan was to...er...they wanted to...sorry, the wife is calling, let me get back to you...

Thanks for my first good laugh of the day.
    They released it because they've already been manufactured.

That's the only reason i could think of.

I agree, bad BAD planning, indeed.
    well, I think it is a stretch to all this a release. More like an escape.
    Palm had planned on the Pre2 before the HP takeover. Even if Palm had been working on the Pre3, they would have held off on an announcement until much, much later. When HP took over they had to make some sort of fanfare, so... Pre3.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
  7.    #7  
    Will it be discontinued when the P3 comes out, or will they sell the 2 and 3 side by side? I'm having a hard time seeing how this does not hurt the new products. I want the new products to have a chance.
    I too am at a loss. If the price was lower I would have said they were aiming for a low end phone to fill in the lack of an announced Veer for CDMA. However at $149 (after a $50 mail in rebate) that's an expensive phone - not very competitive to lower end Androids. On top of this there is no free mobile hotspot at this price so there isn't even that incentive. I would think this phone should be priced at $50 with free mobile hotspot to get traction. Then there would be room for a $199 pre3.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    Will it be discontinued when the P3 comes out, or will they sell the 2 and 3 side by side? I'm having a hard time seeing how this does not hurt the new products. I want the new products to have a chance.
    I think HP wants to keep selling it so they have a S, M, L family.

I think verizon only wants to sell it long enough to move the 500 units they have sitting under a desk somewhere. (\sarcasm)
    My theory:

If we recall from Palm's admission, Verizon required that they have a certain amount of inventory built and ready for delivery BEFORE they would agree to sell the Pre Plus. In retrospect, it was waaaaaaaay too much for too little, and everyone involved got burned.

However, I don't think that precondition went away entirely. Verizon probably requires it of most manufacturers. So, last fall, HP tried to launch the Pre 2 on a US carrier and Verizon agreed with an indefinite release date pending inventory and passage of their internal testing/apps/etc. HP made the units. Verizon put them in testing purgatory hell and shifted their focus to prepping for the iPhone and LTE announcements at CES.

Now, HP has a bunch of inventory that they are contractually bound to deliver to Verizon. Verizon is newly indifferent with all of the sales from Apple, Moto, Samsung, LG, etc. as their CTO noted today. As a minimum fulfillment of the deal, V agreed to let HP sell this stuff online through their Wireless Central portal so they could get a few extra 2-year agreements. HP agrees in order to get some return on the investment, and figures it will have little material affect on Veer and Pre 3 future announcements, since they have to keep auditioning for Verizon anyway per the CTOs comments.

Onward to Sprint and AT&T.
    exactly
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    I'm buying one on Thursday - I want some WebOS2.x love now.
    None here may buy the Pre 2, but there may be plenty folks out there who are willing to buy it for the webOS experience who dont want to wait for what might be coming.

Since it has been produced, I dont think HP has anything to loose with what has been said to be a pretty good phone, albeit not for you high tech folks here
    Quote Originally Posted by RoverNole View Post
    None here may buy the Pre 2, but there may be plenty folks out there who are willing to buy it for the webOS experience who dont want to wait for what might be coming.

Since it has been produced, I dont think HP has anything to loose with what has been said to be a pretty good phone, albeit not for you high tech folks here
    I don't think this is a bad phone on the surface. But it is not a bigtime flagship phone and should not carry that kind of pricing. Furthermore the slider isn't all that much improved if at all and the screen isn't any bigger than the PrePlus it replaces.

Comparing the two - PrePlus was selling late in the run for $49 and came with free mobile hotspot. The Pre2 is selling for $149 with a $50 rebate (so $199 at time of purchase) without a free mobile hotspot. It is hard to see what the big benefit of the Pre2 would be - if it were not for that webOS 2.x thing. This could be related to why HP is not releasing 2.x to legacy but I don't have a lot of faith in my ability to see into their decision making.
    Quote Originally Posted by RoverNole View Post

I definitely don't think they have anything to lose once I heard the CTO's comments. Sounds like the Pre 3 (Veer is GSM only) would get the exact same treatment, so they're not sabotaging their WebOS base by signing them up to two year contracts.

I would, however, hope they also have a firm commitment for future upgrades and a way to enable the all of the new features on the Pre 2 and it's older, OMAP architecture. Last thing they need now is another abandoned subclass of users.
    Small = Veer
    Medium = Pre 2
    Large = Pre 3
    Xtra Large = TouchPad

By Summertime, there will be webOS in a size everyone will like.
    Quote Originally Posted by gollyzila View Post
    Small = Veer
    Medium = Pre 2
    Large = Pre 3
    Xtra Large = TouchPad

By Summertime, there will be webOS in a size everyone will like.
    Everyone?
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    Probably because verizon will not be getting the pre3 on launch so to please the masses of big red until then

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    I think the Pre 2 was created intentionally (Using a mixture of leftover components with some modern upgrades) to serve as a placeholder while better products were being developed.
    Peace, Freedom, Prosperity.

If you have a complaint/request relating to webOS please use the Feedback & Feature Requests Form at the official site.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimduk View Post
    Probably because verizon will not be getting the pre3 on launch so to please the masses of big red until then
    Do you know this or assume this?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast