Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Global Posts
    610 Global Posts
    I think the Pre2 is a pseudo way of having a developer phone out there. In this case, it is available unlocked for GSM networks (AT&T bands in this case). So yeah, they promised that it will be on Verizon if you want it like that. But I think it has now taken its place in their eyes as their dev phone. And to be honest, still feels pretty good for one.
    Quote Originally Posted by bnceo View Post
    I think the Pre2 is a pseudo way of having a developer phone out there. In this case, it is available unlocked for GSM networks (AT&T bands in this case). So yeah, they promised that it will be on Verizon if you want it like that. But I think it has now taken its place in their eyes as their dev phone. And to be honest, still feels pretty good for one.
    The tap-to-share-less, slower (compared to Pre 3) OMAP processor having, smaller screen size and resolution, compass-less, front-facing-camera-less Palm Pre 2 is their developer phone?

That seems...odd.
    <<thread cleansed>>

Please stay on-topic. Thanks
    Honestly, I prefer the original Pre and Pre 2's size to that of the Pre 3. The Pre 3 is too big for a blue jeans' front pocket. I already take my Pre out of my pocket when I sit down most of the time. A phone the size of the Pre 3 or iPhone or Evo is out of the question for me.

If the Pre 2 had the Pre 3's resolution but the Pre 2's size, I wouldn't have a moments hesitation in choosing even without the Pre 3's other advantages. I'd even consider the Veer if it had a higher resolution screen, but I'm unwilling to fall back to a smaller pixel count. As it is if I end up with a Pre 2 I'll be wishing it's screen was higher res but not nearly as bothered as I would be to carry around something the size of a small cutting board in my pocket.
    Quote Originally Posted by wtgreen View Post
    Honestly, I prefer the original Pre and Pre 2's size to that of the Pre 3. The Pre 3 is too big for a blue jeans' front pocket. I already take my Pre out of my pocket when I sit down most of the time. A phone the size of the Pre 3 or iPhone or Evo is out of the question for me.

If the Pre 2 had the Pre 3's resolution but the Pre 2's size, I wouldn't have a moments hesitation in choosing even without the Pre 3's other advantages. I'd even consider the Veer if it had a higher resolution screen, but I'm unwilling to fall back to a smaller pixel count. As it is if I end up with a Pre 2 I'll be wishing it's screen was higher res but not nearly as bothered as I would be to carry around something the size of a small cutting board in my pocket.
    Pre 2 dimensions:

Dimensions
    Width: 59.6mm (2.35 inches)
    Height: 100.7mm (3.96 inches)
    Thickness: 16.9mm (0.67 inches)
    Weight
    145 grams (5.1 ounces)

Pre 3 dimensions:

Width: 64mm (2.52 inches)
    Height: 111mm (4.37 inches)
    Thickness: 16mm (0.63 inches)
    Weight

156 grams (5.5 ounces)

Same thickness, almost identical weight, two-tenths of an INCH wider and less than half an inch of taller.

You might be overestimating the size difference here.
    No, I'm not. The extra .4 inches in length is significant, especially if it has the same un-recessed power button as the original Pre. To me the current Pre is exactly at the limit of how long of an item I'll tolerate in my pocket and I honestly wish it was a half-inch smaller still. I'd give up my gesture area to lose that half-inch.

I know others are just fine with larger phones but I'm not one of them.
    I think there are others like you out there, and I think it's that anti-jumbo-phone preference that HP is going to look to capitalize on. For what it's worth, I agree with you that phones have gotten too big for my taste, but I don't think the Pre3 is going to be too big for most consumers.

Unfortunately, I don't think a Veer with a high res screen is likely because it would be an anomaly in the market they're going for with it.
    No, I'm not. The extra .4 inches in length is significant, especially if it has the same un-recessed power button as the original Pre. To me the current Pre is exactly at the limit of how long of an item I'll tolerate in my pocket and I honestly wish it was a half-inch smaller still. I'd give up my gesture area to lose that half-inch.

I know others are just fine with larger phones but I'm not one of them.
    Uhhh....ok.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Uhhh....ok.
    I understand what he's saying. Measurements as specs on paper are often deceiving. Sometimes, in real world use, a half inch can make all the difference.

(Cue the "that's what she said"s)
    Quote Originally Posted by VCI_Cell View Post
    Sometimes, in real world use, a half inch can make all the difference.
    That's what she said!
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    That's what she said!
    Annnnd boom goes the dynamite.
    Didn't want to leave you hanging. ;D
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Quote Originally Posted by VCI_Cell View Post
    Unfortunately, I don't think a Veer with a high res screen is likely because it would be an anomaly in the market they're going for with it.
    Yeah, I'll be really shocked if the Veer is successful. I can't believe HP opted for that design vs a slab or horizontal slider. Either would be better received I think.
    Yeah, I'll be really shocked if the Veer is successful. I can't believe HP opted for that design vs a slab or horizontal slider. Either would be better received I think.
    I hold a different view, but there are about 40 other threads for discussing this point.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123