Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Ok since seeing so many upset about not getting a "slab announcement, i am curious why everyone has such a demand for a slab and is so against a slider providing its sturdy and solid.

There are a few things i can see

1. Virtual keyboard
    2. Thinness
    ..? And thats about it i can think of. Both of these are still possible however.

A virtual keyboard would be easy to add so not much to say about that. As far as thinnes goes, why does a phone have to be supper thin? From the comparisons i saw, the pre 3 has got to be one of the thinnest keyboard phones. Probably about as thin as a 3gs.

My main concern is that, like the evo, people are left out. There is a large crowd of people who still prefer keyboards, howvever they are drowned out because the majority of tech enthusiasts are the ones who are die hard slaters. I have met not one average person who likes virrual keyboards. Everyone of them who has one hates it or would prefer a keyboard. If a 4 inch phone came out with no keyboard it would leave out those reaply wanting something bigger but wanting a keyboard, just as the evo did. Some might jump to it but some may not. They could make two of the same device one with keyboard one without, but thats highly doubtfull. I am big about choice so having a thin slider is the ultimate compromise if it has a virtual keyboard. People who dont like it can never use it. But its there for the ones who will. Personally i hate the realistate they take up and while sometimes i can type faster and one hand typing is way easier on a vkb, i would like both. Im far more accurate on a keyboard and like the screen realistate.

So what is it about a slate other then what i mention that makes you want a slate?
    Quote Originally Posted by rexalbel View Post
    Ok since seeing so many upset about not getting a "slab announcement, i am curious why everyone has such a demand for a slab and is so against a slider providing its sturdy and solid.

1. Virtual keyboard
    2. Thinness
    ..? And thats about it i can think of. Both of these are still possible however.

A virtual keyboard would be easy to add so not much to say about that. As far as thinnes goes, why does a phone have to be supper thin? From the comparisons i saw, the pre 3 has got to be one of the thinnest keyboard phones. Probably about as thin as a 3gs.

My main concern is that, like the evo, people are left out. There is a large crowd of people who still prefer keyboards, howvever they are drowned out because the majority of tech enthusiasts are the ones who are die hard slaters. I have met not one average person who likes virrual keyboards. Everyone of them who has one hates it or would prefer a keyboard. If a 4 inch phone came out with no keyboard it would leave out those reaply wanting something bigger but wanting a keyboard, just as the evo did. Some might jump to it but some may not. They could make two of the same device one with keyboard one without, but thats highly doubtfull. I am big about choice so having a thin slider is the ultimate compromise if it has a virtual keyboard. People who dont like it can never use it. But its there for the ones who will. Personally i hate the realistate they take up and while sometimes i can type faster and one hand typing is way easier on a vkb, i would like both. Im far more accurate on a keyboard and like the screen realistate.

So what is it about a slate other then what i mention that makes you want a slate?
    I much prefer the slider for sure. Plus, the virtual keyboard is already included in webOS 2.X so anyone that wants a virtual keyboard, has one.
    Quote Originally Posted by blue duck butter View Post
    I much prefer the slider for sure. Plus, the virtual keyboard is already included in webOS 2.X so anyone that wants a virtual keyboard, has one.
    hp reps said they weren't included, but homebrew will be able to eneable it.

Also, while I prefer the pre format, people want:

4-4.3 inch slab. Lack of slider allows the phone to be thinner, while having a bigger battery. Which goes a long way.
    Quote Originally Posted by nimer55 View Post
    Also, while I prefer the pre format, people want:

4-4.3 inch slab. Lack of slider allows the phone to be thinner, while having a bigger battery. Which goes a long way.
    Exactly!

Sent from my HTC HD2 using Tapatalk
    Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts

1. Virtual keyboard
    2. Thinness

I think people are upset that a slab wasn't offered in addition to a slider on the 9th. Instead, they offered a 2.6 inch screen device along with the Pre3 and the TouchPad. If they released a slab instead of the Veer, I think most would consider that to be a great webOS hardware lineup. A Pad, A Slab and a Slider....that's a solid lineup.
    I'm from the old school for the electronics market that states the consumers don't determine the demand... but the marketing that determines consumer demand. People want what they have been pushed. It's up to a company to create a market and right now everyone is yelling about 'slab' devices because that's the market that has been created. A fantastic marketing job can create a demand for another form factor that people would be clambering for very quickly.

Good example would be if a company created a phone in the shape of a triangle, there's absolutely NO market for it. Put that phone in the hands of Justin Bieber, place adds everywhere that make it look like the hottest thing, and it would become a demanded form factor. When it comes to disposable electronics - it's the marketing that creates the demand... not the market itself.

I agree with the above poster though... a mixed line-up would be a strong one. We'll see if there is more hardware in the mix down the line.
    Quote Originally Posted by susanoo26 View Post
    I think people are upset that a slab wasn't offered in addition to a slider on the 9th. Instead, they offered a 2.6 inch screen device along with the Pre3 and the TouchPad. If they released a slab instead of the Veer, I think most would consider that to be a great webOS hardware lineup. A Pad, A Slab and a Slider....that's a solid lineup.
    According to FCC fillings, they were all palm builds (not the tablet). When it comes to hardware, hp had 2 priorities: 1. TABLET; 5. SLAB (it's 5 because tablet covers 1-4. Hp want's to be like apple, and they want to compete directly.)

I'm willing to bet money we'll see something by the end of the year. anyone, anyone?

Hp bought palm 7 months ago, and started to work on the tablet, and kept throwing more, and more people at the team to speed things up.
    Newwwwwman, that's a very cynical view of consumers! While there is something to the impact of marketing, no doubt, to say that consumers would accept something blatantly ridiculous just because they were marketed to, is fallacious. And I am sure you are excluding yourself from such manipulation. And any other [insert phone fan].

Good marketing can certainly make the difference but only in products that meet the need.

Product shelves are littered with well marketed products that were poorly conceived.
    It was a reach as an example (granted), but I don't think its a cynical view at all. I've sold high-end electronics for over 15 years and have seen marketing dictate the market (form over function) over and over. Yes, there are a lot of educated consumers out there, but I would imagine the demographic for phones that is growing the fastest is the younger age groups. The older crowd will be more educated and know what they want, but never underestimate the power of a strong targeted marketing campaign. I'm not saying this is the way of the world.. just my thoughts on the potential process.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 02/15/2011 at 12:31 AM.
    i prefer the slider like the Pre's but that being said, a VKB would be nice as you do things in the landscape mode.
    I would prefer them come out with multiple form factors to please everyone, but I personally would prefer a slab, and not for any aesthetic reasons. It gets annoying having to slide out the keyboard every time I want to type something small. For example, when I dial someone using the pre, I just need to type in their initials to get their name to come down in the drop down menu. I would much prefer to just be able to click on the just type box and bring up the vbk instead of sliding open the keyboard, typing in the initials, and then sliding it closed again.

In addition, the pre has a pretty crummy keyboard by my standards, the keys were pretty tiny, and while useable, I would personally have a really good software keyboard than a bad hardware one. Also, the "oreo effect" has really shown me that I want a slab phone next. I would prefer to have a phone with no moving parts so I don't have to worry about issues like that. Its not just the pre either, my friends with droids have minor oreo effect as well, its just the nature of the form factor.

And one last thing, the keyboard is a waste of space imo. Like someone said above, I would rather have a skinnier phone that could fit a larger battery.

This is all just my personal preference, I understand it differs from person to person, which is why it annoys me so much that they won't explore different form factors. I was really bummed when I saw the veer. I thought they learned their lesson from the pixi. I'm calling it now that the veer is going to be a complete commercial loss for them. I think JR just decided to build it because he has some weird obsession with tiny impractical phones. They really should have spent the time and money building a slab instead. Think about how cool a phone the size of a pixi but a slab would be. You would get a pretty good screen size in a tiny package.

Sorry about the rant but I needed to vent. This is my main issue with palm. They are doing fine from a software standpoint no doubt. Just give us fans some options please!
    Hey voodoochild... I think you will be incredibly surprised at the redesigned Pre 3 keyboard. I was absolutely blown away with not only the keys themselves (just like the Treo keys of old), but also the slider itself. The slider had absolutely no wiggle (probably because they got rid of the curved design) and it was solid as a rock. I was truly impressed with this and loved the feel in my hands as I used it. Amazing difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Hey voodoochild... I think you will be incredibly surprised at the redesigned Pre 3 keyboard. I was absolutely blown away with not only the keys themselves (just like the Treo keys of old), but also the slider itself. The slider had absolutely no wiggle (probably because they got rid of the curved design) and it was solid as a rock. I was truly impressed with this and loved the feel in my hands as I used it. Amazing difference.
    Yeah the pre 3 looks great for people interested in a slider, it's just too bad it's not coming out till summer. I do have to give them props on the design though, you can tell they learned their lessons with the original.
    I'm hoping they take a shot at a slab design too - as long as they don't do away with the gesture area. If they could take the on-screen keyboard they created for the tablet and put something that nicely designed on a phone, that would be awesome.
    I also hope that they keep the pebble look.
    Doesn't matter how durable the slider is, no moving parts beats durable moving parts. Also the Veer is 50% thicker than the Pixi. Sticking with my Pixi until something with the same form factor comes along.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
  17. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    It was a reach as an example (granted), but I don't think its a cynical view at all. I've sold high-end electronics for over 15 years and have seen marketing dictate the market (form over function) over and over. Yes, there are a lot of educated consumers out there, but I would imagine the demographic for phones that is growing the fastest is the younger age groups. The older crowd will be more educated and know what they want, but never underestimate the power of a strong targeted marketing campaign. I'm not saying this is the way of the world.. just my thoughts on the potential process.

From the data I've seen, teenagers consume *a lot* of social networking, virtually no email, lots of BBM and lots of games. It's hard to see where the niche is going to be to attract them - the gamer kids want a big screen (and I expect now the Playstation phone is going to be a massive draw), the BBM kids (BBM usage is accelerating with teens) want a BB and now HTC is kicking out facebook phones for the social networking crowd.

More generally, the thing about Slider phones is that they seem to come around every few years but never seen to stick. For example, I remember having one of these:

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l287/cgk1/BA.jpg
    Never underestimate marketing. Just look at Justin Bieber.
    As far as thinnes goes, why does a phone have to be supper thin? From the comparisons i saw, the pre 3 has got to be one of the thinnest keyboard phones. Probably about as thin as a 3gs.
    HP Pre 3 thickness: 0.63 inches
    iPhone 3GS Thickness: 0.48 inches

So the HP Pre 3 is 25% thicker than the iPhone 3GS. Since the factors contributing to phone thickness are a zero sum game, the increased thickness of the HP Pre 3 is probably a combination of physical keyboard and keyboard sliding mechanism offset somewhat by reduced battery size/capacity.

Thinness matters - it's a key aspect of pocketability.
    Last edited by Kupe; 02/15/2011 at 07:07 AM.
    If we really want to see a strong lineup of webOS devices, HP needs to add more form factors to the webOS group of products. I see the following.

WebOS Small Slider – Veer
    WebOS Vertical Slider – Pre 3
    WebOS Tablet – TouchPad
    WebOS Candy Bar – Pixi 3 ?
    WebOS Horizontal Slider – yet to come
    WebOS Slab – yet to come
    WebOS Printer – to be announced
    WebOS integration into Windows OS - McKinney: webOS to be integrated with Windows on PCs | PreCentral.net | The #1 Palm Pre and Pixi Community

WebOS toaster, refrigerator, coffee maker, television, blender, lawn mower, etc… – to be announced
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast