Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    I'm from the old school for the electronics market that states the consumers don't determine the demand... but the marketing that determines consumer demand. People want what they have been pushed. It's up to a company to create a market and right now everyone is yelling about 'slab' devices because that's the market that has been created. A fantastic marketing job can create a demand for another form factor that people would be clambering for very quickly.

Good example would be if a company created a phone in the shape of a triangle, there's absolutely NO market for it. Put that phone in the hands of Justin Bieber, place adds everywhere that make it look like the hottest thing, and it would become a demanded form factor. When it comes to disposable electronics - it's the marketing that creates the demand... not the market itself.

I agree with the above poster though... a mixed line-up would be a strong one. We'll see if there is more hardware in the mix down the line.

exactly very good point. Even look at the Iphone when it first came out people were stating a 3.5 inch touch only device naw, but with apples correct marketing it made it the phone to have. I still do believe that making a slad, landscape slider, and pixi form factor is a good idea, but if they market the Pre correctly it as well can be a must have like slab devices have now become.
    Quote Originally Posted by susanoo26 View Post
    I think people are upset that a slab wasn't offered in addition to a slider on the 9th. Instead, they offered a 2.6 inch screen device along with the Pre3 and the TouchPad. If they released a slab instead of the Veer, I think most would consider that to be a great webOS hardware lineup. A Pad, A Slab and a Slider....that's a solid lineup.
    I agree I would love to see a slab as an option...as long as it means better battery life.
    I would also have to add that I have nothing against the slider other than the fact that the pre- slider hardware is lacking in substance. I would love to know more about the construction of the new hardware. Is is going to be using the same shell design as the Pre 2?
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    Newwwwwman, that's a very cynical view of consumers! While there is something to the impact of marketing, no doubt, to say that consumers would accept something blatantly ridiculous just because they were marketed to, is fallacious. And I am sure you are excluding yourself from such manipulation. And any other [insert phone fan].

Good marketing can certainly make the difference but only in products that meet the need.

Product shelves are littered with well marketed products that were poorly conceived.

Yep. No one would buy pants 4 sizes too big so that their underwear showed and they had to clutch there waste bands to hold up their pants when they walk. Ridiculous.

No one would stand in line and get into fights over Cabbage Patch dolls and "Tickle me Elmos". Ridiculous

Oxy Clean?
    Milli Vanilli?

Of course, one can market to create the demand. Hell, "Boy Bands" were dreamed up LONG before one was created. The members were chosen to stick into the prepackaged idea.

Now, obviously, iPhone (et al) is not a "fad". But, marketing driven 'demand' is viable.
    Quote Originally Posted by rlee2001 View Post
    Yep. No one would buy pants 4 sizes too big so that their underwear showed and they had to clutch there waste bands to hold up their pants when they walk. Ridiculous.

No one would stand in line and get into fights over Cabbage Patch dolls and "Tickle me Elmos". Ridiculous
    Lol!!

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by millworkman View Post
    Never underestimate marketing. Just look at Justin Bieber.
    Do I have to?

To come back to the original point, I guess it comes down to preference and usage. I get more data out of my phone than I put in, and so I find the extra display size and battery, and lighter weight a better compromise. I also find virtual keyboards pretty easy to get on with for the odd email, text etc that I do do.

(Whereas with the netbook/tablet decision, I'm firmly on the netbook side. But I use them differently. Also often having a netbook with me probably affects my phone requirements....)
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    So, if HP was to enter a licensing deal with Justin and exclusively market the 4" slab as the BieberPhone..?
    Quote Originally Posted by fe1000 View Post
    The more form factors the better
    exactly
    Global Posts
    311 Global Posts
    If HP released only a slab, those who wanted a physical Keyboard (like me) who be complaining in these forums. HP should release a slab and a phone with a slider.
    why no slab
    Quote Originally Posted by preryan View Post
    If HP released only a slab, those who wanted a physical Keyboard (like me) who be complaining in these forums. HP should release a slab and a phone with a slider.
    Instead of releasing that veer abomination they should have released a slab device and the pre 3.

Sent from my EVO Shift 4G
    Quote Originally Posted by rexalbel View Post
    Ok since seeing so many upset about not getting a "slab announcement, i am curious why everyone has such a demand for a slab and is so against a slider providing its sturdy and solid.

There are a few things i can see

1. Virtual keyboard
    2. Thinness
    ..? And thats about it i can think of. Both of these are still possible however.

A virtual keyboard would be easy to add so not much to say about that. As far as thinnes goes, why does a phone have to be supper thin? From the comparisons i saw, the pre 3 has got to be one of the thinnest keyboard phones. Probably about as thin as a 3gs.

My main concern is that, like the evo, people are left out. There is a large crowd of people who still prefer keyboards, howvever they are drowned out because the majority of tech enthusiasts are the ones who are die hard slaters. I have met not one average person who likes virrual keyboards. Everyone of them who has one hates it or would prefer a keyboard. If a 4 inch phone came out with no keyboard it would leave out those reaply wanting something bigger but wanting a keyboard, just as the evo did. Some might jump to it but some may not. They could make two of the same device one with keyboard one without, but thats highly doubtfull. I am big about choice so having a thin slider is the ultimate compromise if it has a virtual keyboard. People who dont like it can never use it. But its there for the ones who will. Personally i hate the realistate they take up and while sometimes i can type faster and one hand typing is way easier on a vkb, i would like both. Im far more accurate on a keyboard and like the screen realistate.

So what is it about a slate other then what i mention that makes you want a slate?
    I think there will be a virtual keyboard with the Pre 3 on top of the regular one?

My Themes:CLICK HERE
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    HP Pre 3 thickness: 0.63 inches
    iPhone 3GS Thickness: 0.48 inches...
    ...Thinness matters - it's a key aspect of pocketability.
    Thank you. Seriously, put webOS on a Galaxy S or EVO and I will have that phone for a very long time. I love webOS and I love the hardware of the EVO.

HP, please bring my a 4-4.4 inch slab before my next upgrade and I will be a happy man for a LOOONG time! :-)
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12