1.    #1  
    Quick search and didn't see these. Having login issues w/Precentral/Forums (pain to post) but only w/Firefox & Chrome. WebOS Forums always works.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...7_brier14.html

Microsoft, HP split: the backstory

Q: Did you opt for your own operating system because of the cost or technical limitations of Windows?

A: When you think about mobile devices, you can go at it two different ways. You can say I'm going to take that legacy and bring it forward. Or you can say I'm going to take it from the users' perspective: what's the real experience I want to develop, let me think about that experience, then let me look for the technology solution best to lever that experience.

When we started this project five years ago we threw out any concept that we were going to use anything that existed today and we focused purely on the user. When we looked at WebOS we quickly zeroed in. That was the platform that we felt was going to be the platform to go forward. ...

Everybody else — they built it on a legacy thought model whereas the WebOS guys came at it from a different perspective.

Also:

http://www.informationweek.com/news/...SSfeed_IWK_All

Global CIO: HP Mobile Dump Of Microsoft Is Brilliant

I think that's exactly what HP is doing here: choosing to let go of some very successful parts of its past in order to be able to create a more vibrant and successful future. That decision will let HP focus on two very different but very vital opportunities—and for that, Apotheker deserves a great deal of credit:

1) Building its mobile future around WebOS instead of Windows: Right now, all the buzz is about HP embedding WebOS inside its forthcoming tablet and its smartphones, PCs, and printers. Those are all swell ideas, but the real value for HP could come when that WebOS-powered wireless ecosystem is extended out to engage with HP's sensor business and the tens or hundreds of millions of machines, laboratory equipment, oil wells, appliances, and other devices and systems that will soon be connected via those HP sensors. On top of that physical ecosystem and the staggering volumes of data it creates, HP can then step forward with an analytics play to make sense out of all that data—and, not surprisingly, HP will once more need to redefine some software relationships to fully exploit that opportunity.

2) HP and Microsoft can now focus on high-end, high-value appliances: While HP's massive PC business can provide some nice scale for WebOS, Microsoft needs to look past that and redouble its efforts with HP in developing the new wave of highly engineered, integrated, and optimized systems that are becoming increasingly popular among enterprises.
    Last edited by retirecom; 02/14/2011 at 12:26 PM.
    My frustration w/HP best characterized by Col George Taylor.
    I was actually pondering starting a thread that said much of what the authors of these articles said (particularly the Information Week piece). For all the griping of some here, the more I think about it, the more I believe the strategy HP has set out here is the correct one. It is a bit difficult for many to get their heads around because it has never been done before, mostly because the combination of robust network infrastructure and a company with the scale required to support it have never existed before.

However, I think the more important reason for this differentiated approach is the fact mobile computing is fast approaching a new era which in some ways mirrors the PC era 10-15 years ago. The physical devices are quickly becoming commoditized; the industry is standardizing around a handful of form factors and while there are minimally acceptable specs for devices those specs are becoming less of a differentiating factor. (A small group of tech enthusiasts will always care GREATLY about specs, but for the average consumer the experiential difference between the best spec device and the device with the minimally acceptable specs for the class is becoming ever smaller and quickly approaching the point of insignificance.) In that world, a focus on the holistic end user experience like HP has put forth is a much better strategy than trying to engage in a spec war with Google/HTC/etc and Apple.

Beyond this, HP's strategy makes sense because it is one to grow at a moderate pace, but potentially generate much greater customer lock-in. While we would love HP to land a knockout punch this year, realistically it's not likely. At best, they'd knock down the competition and they'd get right back up and be fighting. A better approach seems to be build, albeit incrementally, on the fanatically loyal user base that exists and grow that with loyalists (maybe not as fanatical) who love the full suite of differentiated services and comprehensive user experience HP delivers.

JMHO

Gargoyle
  3.    #3  
    We always talk about companies moving at a glacial pace and the changes these articles suggest are impressive considering the history of PC and the technology HP has utilized in the past.

webOS for consumers/smartphones may not evolve as quickly as us fanatics will like, but it looks to be a fascinating couple of years.

Here's to hoping HP continues to value the smartphone market as a lead in to the webOS ecosystem.
    I think it will be really interesting to see how all this unfolds. I find these two articles to be pretty interesting when paired together:

http://www.aboutwebos.com/2010/10/14...stem-strategy/
    HP webOS: Some Parting Thoughts | AboutwebOS

I like his observations that while WebOS is in a sort of doldrums right now and the platform isn't currently meeting his needs, he still believes the platform will ultimately take off and become a success. I'm part of the camp that can afford to wait, so I figure I might as well. But some other people aren't, so if they need to go elsewhere for a while they might as well, then maybe come back once HP's offerings are able to fulfill their consumer needs.
  5.    #5  
    Like you, I can wait a bit longer. I like what I see coming enough to wait it out a bit. I'm not usually an early adopter & the experience w/the Pre is why (hardware issues).

Having said that, it will be hard to hold out for consumer tested hardware once the next round is released.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums