1.    #1  
    So... I saw a Treo 90... it is so tiny and compact! I'm now thinking of a Treo 90 plus a tiny cell phone, instead of a Treo 300 or 270! What do you guys think of that? Who else has had this dilemma and why did you decide to pick one combo or the other?

Thanks for any opinions,
    alicelinden@email.com
    Alice Linden
    alicelinden@email.com
    Do you want to get on the internet? If you go with the 90, you'll have to make sure the phone has an infrared port or supports bluetooth. And with the latter you'll have to buy the bluetooth SD card.

I didn't like using the infrared with my old phone and palm, that line of sight is a real pain.
    Originally posted by alicelinden
    So... I saw a Treo 90... it is so tiny and compact! I'm now thinking of a Treo 90 plus a tiny cell phone, instead of a Treo 300 or 270! What do you guys think of that? Who else has had this dilemma and why did you decide to pick one combo or the other?

Thanks for any opinions,
    alicelinden@.com
    I read somewhere that asking people to e-mail you from an online forum is rude. It implies you aren't going to stick around and contribute.

There are some benefits to your setup, mainly better battery life and "real" cell phone that won't confuse your friends if they ask to use it for a call. However, I have a Treo 180 and I think it's a great setup. Carrying one tiny (it's not much bigger than a 90) is fantastic. And of course there is only one cable to plug in at night instead of one for the Treo and one for a phone. The former responder was right, you'd need to get a Bluetooth enabled phone and a bluetooth SD card for your Treo. Remember that that is going to be even more money and I think SD bluetooth cards protrude from the side of the Treo. Definitely makes it more difficult to just toss in your pocket. Considering everything a Treo 180/270/300 can do, I find them very rugged because they clam up into a tiny little unit.
  4.    #4  
    Anyone ever see a picture on the internet showing the Treo 90 and the Treo 300 side by side, or at least showing their relative thicknesses?

By the way, I wasn't requesting anyone to email me back a response. That's just my sig.
    Alice Linden
    alicelinden@email.com
    Originally posted by alicelinden
    Anyone ever see a picture on the internet showing the Treo 90 and the Treo 300 side by side, or at least showing their relative thicknesses?

By the way, I wasn't requesting anyone to email me back a response. That's just my sig.
    The 90 is .65 inches thick. The 300 is .82, though I think that is without the hinge. I use a 180 and find its size to be wonderful.
    I accept that your 90 plus solution is better functionally; but, my 270 solution is more elegant.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    i keep a nokia 8290 (cingular) if I want the comfort of a slim phone..like if im going to a club or im all dressed up and dont have much pocket space.

I find I use my 180 about 98% of the time, breaking out (and dusting off) the nokia about once or twice a month, and even then only for an evening at MOST.

every time I think I can do without the contact list, I run into a situation where i NEED a number and then I dont have it. I have tried carrying a palm and the nokia, I always end up leaving the palm at home or in my car or on my desk, or anywhere but with me! Then I remind myself thats why I bought the 180 in the first place.

Joshua
    My current set up is a Treo 90 and Kyocera cell phone. This is mostly due to the fact that the 270 did not a wide enough service area and I travel alot for work. The Treo 90 & cell phone have worked well together. I connect them using a cable from The Supply Net and have no problem accessing my e-mail or browsing the web. It is certainly not as elegant as a 270 or 300 but it works very well. The cables cost $29.99 which is alot cheaper than a Bluetooth card and provides a faster connection than IR.
    I don't think you can go wrong with either solution. One thing I will say is that there is a benefit to having both a pda and a cell phone as there are definately places I will take a simple cell phone that I would never take something as nice as a 270 or 300.

Good luck making your decision.
    I spent a lot of time pondering over the same dilemma. I think what finally decided me was Sprint's plan. I like Sprint as a cell phone provider. I've been using them for a long time. But they introduced this Sprint Vision plan which can be quite pricey if you buy more than 2mbs of data. Plus, the 300 wasn't Mac compatible last I checked, and half the time I use a Mac.

So I ended up getting a very small slim Sanyo 6200 for my phone and ordering a Treo 90. The supply net will be coming out with a cable to connect the two at the end of this month. that way I can just use my minutes, which I have plenty of, when I want to check my e-mail. I'm not sure if it's the best solution for forever, but it seemed like the best solution for now.

Ann
  10.    #10  
    Originally posted by mnchzhd
    My current set up is a Treo 90 and Kyocera cell phone. This is mostly due to the fact that the 270 did not a wide enough service area and I travel alot for work. The Treo 90 & cell phone have worked well together. I connect them using a cable from The Supply Net and have no problem accessing my e-mail or browsing the web. It is certainly not as elegant as a 270 or 300 but it works very well. The cables cost $29.99 which is alot cheaper than a Bluetooth card and provides a faster connection than IR.
    I don't think you can go wrong with either solution. One thing I will say is that there is a benefit to having both a pda and a cell phone as there are definately places I will take a simple cell phone that I would never take something as nice as a 270 or 300.

I played with a Treo 300, and its web access is SLOW! I think 3G is only like 14400kbps speed? So my question is: when you connect the Treo 90 to a cell phone, how do you log on? Do you just dial into your local ISP? Do you need to buy a special modem for the Treo 90 or is the Supply Net cable somehow have a special feature... is Supply Net the only cable that can work? What kind of speeds are you getting with the above connection? Is it approaching a 56K modem? I figure if it's faster than 14.4K, then maybe it's better to get a slim Treo 90 and a slim cell phone (do only certain cell phones allow this internet connection with a Treo 90?)

Thanks for your input,
    Alice
    Alice Linden
    alicelinden@email.com
    Alice,
    I just got the Treo 90 yesterday and haven't yet bought the cable to connect it to the cell phone. The cable is from www.thesupplynet.com but it won't be available until the end of the month for my particular phone. I'm only planning on using this to check my AOL (sorry everybody, but I like it) mail when I'm traveling. I have to bring my laptop with me most of the time, so I generally use that for internet stuff, but it would be nice to at least be able to get my mail.

I'm using sprint. My phone currently has wireless web, so I can actually check aol e-mail on the phone (but it's a pain) and supposedly get web content on the phone too (also a pain). It's too hard to navigate on a phone. But it's good if you just quickly need to check if you got an answer to an e-mail.

Anyway, until I actually try out the cell phone to treo 90 connection, I can't say much about it.

But I CAN say that I've had the Treo for a day and have been completely unable to put it down. It's great!
    Ann
    Originally posted by Annwendy
    Alice,
    I just got the Treo 90 yesterday and haven't yet bought the cable to connect it to the cell phone. The cable is from www.thesupplynet.com but it won't be available until the end of the month for my particular phone. I'm only planning on using this to check my AOL (sorry everybody, but I like it) mail when I'm traveling. I have to bring my laptop with me most of the time, so I generally use that for internet stuff, but it would be nice to at least be able to get my mail.

I'm using sprint. My phone currently has wireless web, so I can actually check aol e-mail on the phone (but it's a pain) and supposedly get web content on the phone too (also a pain). It's too hard to navigate on a phone. But it's good if you just quickly need to check if you got an answer to an e-mail.

Anyway, until I actually try out the cell phone to treo 90 connection, I can't say much about it.

But I CAN say that I've had the Treo for a day and have been completely unable to put it down. It's great!
    Ann
    Does your phone have IR? You might be able to connect that way.
    Hi,
    As far as I can tell, my phone doesn't have an IR. It's a Sanyo 6200. As far as cell phones go, I'm pretty happy with it. It's extremely small and light. But I hadn't thought to check for IR before I got it. I can't imagine that IR would work that well though, especially because I'd likely be trying to connect on the train between NY and DC (and that's pretty bumpy and hard to keep two devices aligned).
    A