Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Well Thanks to the FCC we fairly recently learned that the current devices that have bee announced were made by palm, before being acquired by HP. Now while I like the pre3 (perhaps some more horsepower, and video out would of been nice, but I love the overall device), I know many want new form factors. I strongly believe, as I'm sure everyone including everyone at hp and palm realize new form factors are needed.

But, should HP keep the pebble look on their next slab,vertical slider, treo/pixi like device?

Personally, I think YES, and heres why: Besides being a great looking unique style, it's a way to identify the products (the pre's bad press is irrelevant because the average consumer hasn't heard of the pre, and the geeks will know it's different). For example, look at apple, they've always had a certain look. While it's changed, (the iphone 4 was the start of another change), it's always been a way where you can usually identify apple products when you see them.

I think the pebble look is far from outdated, and looks great for those consumers tired of sharp edges. Most android devices have a similar look (not a bad look, but webOS is different, and HP wants to stand out.)

Thoughts?
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    I agree 100%
    Whatever they do they need to feel rock solid.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    keep the pebble, it's form factor is iconic with webos
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    The pebble stands out in a sea of square slabs. Which really doesn't matter to me as much as the fact that it actually feels better (more natural) in my hands.
    Visor/Sprint Springboard Expansion Module > Visor Platinum > Tungsten E > Centro (work) > Palm Pre
    the pebble needs to have the feel of a pebble in your hand. It's all about the materials. Some kind of super tough ceramic would be awesome if it could be made.

I love the idea of a all gorilla glass tablet.
    keep it under all circumstances!

i understand the pre2 had to be changed a little due to stability even when it lost some of the magic. the reason why i ll probably choose the veer (or the 2) over the 3 is in my eyes its closer to that form factor.
    Global Posts
    799 Global Posts
    I agree. It's hard to differentiate an iPhone from Android slab phones from any distance. These webOS phones, however, stand out.
    No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
    Like has been said, keep the pebble. It feels so much better in the hand than any other device.
    When you state more horsepower, exactly what do you mean? I am not that techy advanced, but I figure if the thing is fast, snappy and smooth with the 1.4ghz, what else is needed, just curious, since Android phones comes out with something new every week.

I for one refuse to purchase anything running Android b/c of this, and it is something I have always admired about Apple....for at least 1yr you have the latest or the same for cars.

I also agree with the pebble feel and look.
    Keep it because it's proven. It's a resolution to a problem. It was designed to balance the need for a physical keyboard (e.g. Blackberry), but compete in the big screen world (iPhone).

I think Android offerings are pushing the envelope on the big screen front and Blackberry is stuck in utilitarian keyboard mode.

The vertical slider pebble was a great compromise and HP should be able to build a solid one with a slightly better keyboard than even the Pre3. I don't think they need to make it thinner by sacrificing the keyboard.

Even the kids these days are getting big keyboard sliders with their phones for texting. Don't go the way of apple (maximizing screen technology). I don't think HP wants to compete there.
    Maybe if they had wedged in a liquid cooled Core i7 running 4GHz, but I guess I can live with the fastest smartphone processor ever announced...

The Pre3 looks gorgeous from the side view in the photos I've seen, and the pebble looks great in general.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by RoverNole View Post
    When you state more horsepower, exactly what do you mean? I am not that techy advanced, but I figure if the thing is fast, snappy and smooth with the 1.4ghz, what else is needed, just curious, since Android phones comes out with something new every week.

I for one refuse to purchase anything running Android b/c of this, and it is something I have always admired about Apple....for at least 1yr you have the latest or the same for cars.

1.4 is the fastest out now, but by summer we'll have dual core 1-1.2ghz phones with 1gb of ram.

Not a big deal initially, but since i'll be keping my phone for 2-3 years, i'd be nice to have as much power as current tech can provide...

with all that said, even ignoring the software (reason I bought a pre, and still like my phone), the pre3 has my favorit hardware because of its form factor.
    Pre look failed! Hp should go back to the drawing board and redesign the phone. And stay away from Pre name.

Sent from Tapatalk
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    Pre look failed! Hp should go back to the drawing board and redesign the phone. And stay away from Pre name.

Sent from Tapatalk
    But did it fail because of the look, or because of other things. Also, does the average consumer even know what the pre is? People think I have a blackberry torch, so I don't think the average consumer knows anything about palms bad rep with the pre. I tell them it's the palm pre, they ask me who palm is, and its not until I say the palm pilot that they know what i'm talking about.
    Quote Originally Posted by nimer55 View Post
    But did it fail because of the look, or because of other things. Also, does the average consumer even know what the pre is? People think I have a blackberry torch, so I don't think the average consumer knows anything about palms bad rep with the pre. I tell them it's the palm pre, they ask me who palm is, and its not until I say the palm pilot that they know what i'm talking about.
    Pre never captured the general consumer. And to those few knew about Pre, it's really not a good reputation. Hp bought palm and now palm name is gone. Why stay with name and look? Just do the fresh start.

Sent from Tapatalk
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    Pre never captured the general consumer. And to those few knew about Pre, it's really not a good reputation. Hp bought palm and now palm name is gone. Why stay with name and look? Just do the fresh start.

Sent from Tapatalk
    others above me have covered why they should keep it. It looks really nice, feels great holding it, appears natural, and is unique. Too many devices on the market looking too similar.
    Global Posts
    118 Global Posts
    Agreed. I thought that the best thing HP could have done would be to kill the Pre/Pixi names, taken Palm's name off of all the hardware, and kept it Palm webOS. No one has complained about the OS being awful, like they have complained about the hardware being awful. I don't know why they are continuing the "Legacy" of phones that no one bought.
    Quote Originally Posted by nimer55 View Post
    Well Thanks to the FCC we fairly recently learned that the current devices that have bee announced were made by palm, before being acquired by HP. Now while I like the pre3 (perhaps some more horsepower, and video out would of been nice, but I love the overall device), I know many want new form factors. I strongly believe, as I'm sure everyone including everyone at hp and palm realize new form factors are needed.

But, should HP keep the pebble look on their next slab,vertical slider, treo/pixi like device?

Personally, I think YES, and heres why: Besides being a great looking unique style, it's a way to identify the products (the pre's bad press is irrelevant because the average consumer hasn't heard of the pre, and the geeks will know it's different). For example, look at apple, they've always had a certain look. While it's changed, (the iphone 4 was the start of another change), it's always been a way where you can usually identify apple products when you see them.

I think the pebble look is far from outdated, and looks great for those consumers tired of sharp edges. Most android devices have a similar look (not a bad look, but webOS is different, and HP wants to stand out.)

Thoughts?
    They should keep it for the above reasons. Making another slab phone won't make your product unique. Keeping the natural pebble look is a good choice. Then again, why can't you do both?

Quote Originally Posted by RoverNole View Post

They mean dual core processors. But your right, the 1.4ghz Snapdragon is a power processor and can do anything WebOS needs for now.

And the idea of a all gorilla glass tablet is not a bad idea.
    A dual core 1.0-1.2GHz setup will not be as fast as a single core 1.4GHz processor for most applications and tasks. Dual core would be faster when multi-tasking more than one application in real time, but it would also consume more power.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast