Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilKell View Post
    A dual core 1.0-1.2GHz setup will not be as fast as a single core 1.4GHz processor for most applications and tasks. Dual core would be faster when multi-tasking more than one application in real time, but it would also consume more power.
    OMAP4 is suppose to use less energy, actually. And when you brag about your OS being the only real multitasking mobile OS on the market it make sense to bring out a dual core processor phone.
    Should HP keep the pebble look? Absolutely! Stands out from the me-too mob.
    I love the form of the Pre. It's very nice to hold and looks fine.

"more horsepower"? Err - what? If I'm not mistaken there are exactly 0 smartphones with more CPU power available or announced for this year.
    1.4 GHz is toplevel atm. What do you want? 3 GHz intel I7 desktop CPU? ;-)

People here are going crazy about specs which often do not make sense.
    1.4 GHz is a lot of horsepower. And at some point it costs more battery without actually making anything noticably faster. People ask for 1 GB RAM when they can't even make use of 512 (see demo videos where users had to start 50+ apps to use up all RAM on Pre2 -*nobody* will actually run close to 50 apps in practice).
    5 MP camera is plenty - more than that only eats up space and makes for longer intervals between snapshots without making your photos any better in practice.

And all of that useless spec bragging costs money - costs that will result in higher prices.

They should - IMHO - offer a bigger storage *option* - so people who want to throw more money at extra storage can get that. But other than that the specs of the Pre3 are fine. Great actually. What I want to know is how long the battery will run with that.
    Last edited by tholap; 02/13/2011 at 08:17 PM.
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by tholap View Post
    I love the form of the Pre. It's very nice to hold and looks fine.

"more horsepower"? Err - what? If I'm not mistaken there are exactly 0 smartphones with more CPU power available or announced for this year.
    1.4 GHz is toplevel atm. What do you want? 3 GHz intel I7 desktop CPU? ;-)

People here are going crazy about specs which often do not make sense.
    1.4 GHz is a lot of horsepower. And at some point it costs more battery without actually making anything noticably faster. People ask for 1 GB RAM when they can't even make use of 512 (see demo videos where users had to start 50+ apps to use up all RAM on Pre2 -*nobody* will actually run close to 50 apps in practice).
    5 MP camera is plenty - more than that only eats up space and makes for longer intervals between snapshots without making your photos any better in practice.

And all of that useless spec bragging costs money - costs that will result in higher prices.

They should - IMHO - offer a bigger storage *option* - so people who want to throw more money at extra storage can get that. But other than that the specs of the Pre3 are fine. Great actually. What I want to know is how long the battery will run with that.
    1) By summer they'll be dual core 1ghz phones. While I won't need it initially, I plan on keeping my phone for at least 2 years, and that's when it i'll start to show it's age. (same thing with the ram) I want my phone to be able to handle all the future new apps.

2) I couldn't agree more with the camera, I hate this megapixel war, I want a good quality sensor and lense war. (never gonna happen, I know.. As long as the pre3 matches the iphone 4, I'm happy. I know the iphone 5 will be better, but the iphone 4s quality is good enough for me)

3) Depends how they price it. IF they sell the phone unlocked for 399, maybe give a 100 dollar coupon to current owners, I take back everything I've said, with the exception of video out. I don't want hd video out, just through the 3.5mm headphone jack would be enough.

4) let's get this conversation back on the pebble look.
    Fair enough I overlooked the 1 GHz dual core coming *later* this year.
    But unless apps get multi-threading a dual core will improve responsiveness - but not speed.

Don't get me wrong - I like multi-core. There's a point at which more speed per core gets inefficient and doesn't get you much improvement - while multi-core helps with a multi-tasking OS.

But that still doesn't change the fact that 1.4 GHz will be in the top level for this year.
    2 1 GHz cores is not 2 vs 1.4.
    Further a lot depends on the particular chipsets and how the well the OS can make use of it.

Last but not least we don't want the fastest CPU available if it provides more juice than actually needed and drains more battery.

I'm with you on wanting my phone to last for at least 2 years.
    Considering that even my 2009 Pre (yes without plus) is still doing fine I'm optimistic that the Pre 3 will do well for a couple of years (assuming devent battery life).
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
    loved the pre look the pebble design is a classic...but im ready for some sharper lines...
    Yes. I enjoy having a phone that doesn't look like every other phone. Plus my friends evos don't feel that hot in my hand with the sharp corners.
    I think HP feels it is an identity for them, but I don't see a reason to be so tied to it.

My Themes:CLICK HERE
    Should HP keep the pebble look? NO, get rid of it asap. the idea is to sell phones, make money. hp can't do either with a phone that looks like the pre.
    It would be interesting to know if HP keeps the pebble vertical slider style with no slabs in their line up, and the phone does not sell well enough to attract deveolpers, how many here will still be satisfied HP stuck with the pebble.

There is risk involved with any new venture, but sticking to ones guns against what the market shows people want adds more risk.

If you guys are truly webos fans than you should want maximum webos impact, instead all I see is a bunch of self interest what's best for me. You are buying into the webos environment and at the same time handicapping it.
    Last edited by sinsin07; 02/21/2011 at 05:21 PM.
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilKell View Post
    A dual core 1.0-1.2GHz setup will not be as fast as a single core 1.4GHz processor for most applications and tasks. Dual core would be faster when multi-tasking more than one application in real time, but it would also consume more power.
    From what I hear, duo-core processors actually consume less power, but that's just what I've heard...
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    ... If you guys are truly webos fans than you should want maximum webos impact, instead all I see is a bunch of self interest what's best for me. You are buying into the webos environment and at the same time handicapping it.
    The only one that can handicap it would be HP since they are in control of webOS now. I agree that HP needs to come up with a slab phone design. Not only would I be happy about that, the "market" would be happy as well.

It's not too far fetched to come up with a "stone" design for a touchscreen only device. To be honest, the original iPhone was pretty close to that design. Shoot, look at the Pixi; it has the river stone design and all you would have to do is take out the keyboard, enlarge it a little, and make it a touchscreen only phone and you would cover a large portion of the market with that phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by benthe1 View Post
    The only one that can handicap it would be HP since they are in control of webOS now. I agree that HP needs to come up with a slab phone design. Not only would I be happy about that, the "market" would be happy as well.

It's not too far fetched to come up with a "stone" design for a touchscreen only device. To be honest, the original iPhone was pretty close to that design. Shoot, look at the Pixi; it has the river stone design and all you would have to do is take out the keyboard, enlarge it a little, and make it a touchscreen only phone and you would cover a large portion of the market with that phone.
    Point taken.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12