1.    #1  
    webOS Developers, here is your 2011 to do list: Maintain Mojo, Start on Enyo | PreCentral.net | The #1 Palm Pre and Pixi Community

Past hardware may not run 2.0, but future hardware will run Mojo, but not as a first-class citizen. It seems it will run in a box with back buttons overlaid. The post also said something about considering the resolution of the device. I am not a developer, but it sounds like it will not be a straight port.

The other problem is the Enyo will not run on any phone until there is an update later in the year. Developers are officially in limbo. They are encouraged to keep building Mojo apps that will not be fully compatible on future devices, or wait for a long time to write in the new language.

What does this mean for development for the P2, P3, Veer, and TP? If you are a developer, are you going to continue writing Mojo or switch to Enyo?
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    webOS Developers, here is your 2011 to do list: Maintain Mojo, Start on Enyo | PreCentral.net | The #1 Palm Pre and Pixi Community

Past hardware may not run 2.0, but future hardware will run Mojo, but not as a first-class citizen. It seems it will run in a box with back buttons overlaid. The post also said something about considering the resolution of the device. I am not a developer, but it sounds like it will not be a straight port.

The other problem is the Enyo will not run on any phone until there is an update later in the year. Developers are officially in limbo. They are encouraged to keep building Mojo apps that will not be fully compatible on future devices, or wait for a long time to write in the new language.

What does this mean for development for the P2, P3, Veer, and TP? If you are a developer, are you going to continue writing Mojo or switch to Enyo?

the back buttons are ONLY for the tablet. The phones will use the gesture area.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    Sounds like it'll be similar to how Classic runs PalmOS apps...
    Enyo apps won't run on webOS 2.0 devices until HP provides a software update "later this year" (whatever that means). HP's support for webOS looks more and more like Amateur Hour. Will HP really get around to upgrading their newest devices? Would they ever lie to us?
  5.    #5  
    From the article:

We can't make that decision for you, but the Enyo option for new apps is starting to look pretty compelling if you can forego making any money on apps between now and the TouchPad's release. We kind of hate to point this out, but we sort of doubt there are a ton of webOS developers making their entire living off webOS and we sort of doubt that the webOS ecosystem will be getting huge before Enyo lands on phones, so Enyo makes sense.

On the other hand - for real - we want more apps now and will pay for good (or even decent) ones and we are willing to bet most webOS users are in the same boat. The question is: do you think there are enough of us to make it worth the Mojo choice?
    It seems the future of 2011 WebOS devices hedges on how developers answer this question.
    For me, I've pretty much stopped all app development. Sorry to say, but until Enyo is formally released, I really have little interest in developing in an environment that's in the alpha stage.

IMHO, this is a very sloppy situation. I can't think of any really good things to say about it. Granted, Mojo was always a mess and needed to be dramatically improved. But, the handling of this transition was very, very poor.

Fortunately, I don't have any apps that make me money. (Heck, I've never even gotten a donation for my tutorials.) So, I'm not in a situation where I'll lose any money. I'd certainly hate to be in the situation where my living was made on webOS apps.
    Richard Neff

My tutorials on WebOS development: Beyond 'Hello World!' | Getting Started - WebOS Development

My apps: Percent Table | SierraPapa
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by RickNeff View Post
    Fortunately, I don't have any apps that make me money.
    Sorry to here that. The above quote jumped out at me. When the good news is that you don't have any apps that make you money, I'd hate to hear the bad news.