View Poll Results: What should Hp do about the Palm name?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Let Hp take over the whole thing.

4 12.12%
  • Keep it all as Palm.

8 24.24%
  • Keep just phones as Palm and other things as Hp.

15 45.45%
  • I'm indifferent.

6 18.18%
  1.    #1  
    Anyone else dissapointed that Palms name is now all but dead? And the only place you will see it is on the back of your pre or pixi. I for one really wish Hp would have kept the phones labeled as Palm. I understand Hp rebranding webos as theirs for more than just phones. But I really hope that Hp hears this and keeps a few things as Palm.
    HP killed Palm. That's why there's always an identity risk when huge corps take over. If Palm had still been a popular household name, they might not have done it though.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by manordwall View Post
    Anyone else dissapointed that Palms name is now all but dead? And the only place you will see it is on the back of your pre or pixi. I for one really wish Hp would have kept the phones labeled as Palm. I understand Hp rebranding webos as theirs for more than just phones. But I really hope that Hp hears this and keeps a few things as Palm.
    I suspect that in HP's viewpoint, the Pam brand represented a failed company with a reputation for overhyped, underdeveloped, delivered-late products. They are smart to drop the brand from their lineup.
    It's sad that the Palm name is done but HP wants to build their name/brand so it makes sense that they'd label their billion dollar investment as their product. Can't blame them.

Palm had a good run. It's over now.
    People are passionate about Apple, even Palm, but I don’t know anyone who has the same passion towards HP. Everyone I know has a neutral feeling towards HP.

Palm has been well liked over the years and Palm remains a separate unit within HP. HP has strong name recognition. Until Apotheker can make HP ‘cool’, I wish HP brings back the Palm brand as HP/Palm to differentiate themselves from the uncool HP.
    Global Posts
    397 Global Posts
    I'm in my early 20's so I kind of missed the Palm days, as such, although my older sister had a Palm Pilot and I envied her, I used to go into electronics stores and play with Palm devices, they really were aspirational to me, luckily I managed to get in and buy the last products Palm ever released! It's a shame really.
    HP is going to a connected experience between devices (phones, tablets and computers). It might confuse customers if that experience is between a HP device, Palm device, and HP/Palm or whatever. Having everything simply labeled HP is going to help avoid with the issue of brand confusion.
    If they can't reverse engineer this alleged webOS for PC's onto my PC and HP monitor.....I'm gonna be ANGRY
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Palm needs to go for many reasons. I love Palm, but it was necessarily limited to devices focused on the Palm of your hand. Tablets and PCs with webOS don't really fit that.

Add to that the fiasco of Pre's launch and there is more to be gained by the HP brand than Palm. Neither is considered "cool" by the current generation, so some rebranding is necessary for that market. I don't think HP will be able to spend its way to cool with that group. My suggestion was 'inTouch' by HP. Who knows.
    Hpalm ftw.
    I liked Palm. I don't particularly like HP. The naming change alienates me a little and makes me less interested in HP's products.