Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    ...announcing hardware that wasn't ready for release? I have seen this come up tangentially in other posts, but no real analysis of the situation. It wasn't many days past the Leo stated emphatically that they would no longer be doing that. He seemed to understand what a huge blunder that has been. Without shame or remorse, HP turns around and does the opposite of what was promised. There has to be a reason for that.

The only explanation I can come up with is that Leo is out of touch with the consumer electronics division. He was fed a bill of goods about the readiness of the products by someone who was just trying to look good for the new CEO, and he ran with it. Someone probably said, "Yes sir, the products are on schedule." Leo interprets that as "soon," and the rest is history.

It could also be the fact that HP is just a large company like MS, where one hand does not know what the other is doing. Once division has one set of talking points, another division has a different set.

Either way, it makes it look like there is a certain schizophrenia within the company. They still are not on the same page. A promise by one division can be reversed by another. Even as 2.0 was promised as an upgrade all the way past the event, plenty of people had to know for a long time that it was never going to happen. JR promises something special to make it up to legacy users. Who's to say that won't be negated by someone else?

They make certain claims about their upcoming products. Who's to say what will actually pan out? Who will be held accountable? This is a pretty large blow to HP's credibility, IMO. This is not like missing a release date. That happens to everyone. This is making a public policy statement, then a few days later saying, "Just kidding!"

The only other explanation I can come up with is that after further consideration, they realized that if they waited until the products were ready, they would miss another cycle of smartphones and tablets without offering any hope to consumers and share holders that HP was in the game.

After having a few days to consider it. What do you think?
    It's a corporation. They say what sounds good at the time and renege later. Par for the course in this day and age. There's been so much corporate lying and double talk, none should be fully believed.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Don't think he did change his mind. He just spoke off the cuff and the rest of the company was like "Pfft. Ok.", hence Steve MacArthur dancing around it when Engadget led with that question.

No, the company is not "on the same page". They're advertising an Android tablet/printer and TouchSmart OS amidst WebOS apps/hardware in their latest advertisement that premiered during their keynote. Still supporting the Win 7 Slate too, I think.

Then, there are conflicting reports about the "Pre" brand going away and HP moving in yet ANOTHER direction for the hardware that will follow the Pre 3, as that was "a Palm design". It's just going to take a terribly long time to shake out the inconsistencies, it seems.
  4.    #4  
    I understand why the products aren't ready. They're not even close from what I've seen. What I don't quite get is why they made the announcement at all. They could have put out a press release with hints of things to come, along with a timeframe of when to expect it. They didn't have to call a huge media event to show off products that will not be released until they are already old news. Why break their promise for this, and at this time?
    Last edited by dandbj13; 02/12/2011 at 10:02 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    What I don't quite get is why they made the announcement at all. They could have put out a press release with hints of things to come, along with a timeframe of when to expect it. They didn't have to call a huge media event to show off products that will not be released until they are already old news. Why break their promos for this, and at this time?
    They had to.

After the flood of news at CES and no product available for purchase, they were drifting toward obscurity even further. So they had to do....something. Tease an announcement coming. Ok. Fair enough. But nothing's near being ready. So how far can we put it off?

MWC. That's how far. Then, it's almost pointless. So they had 30 days to cobble together enough for demos, and they did. What Apotheker was talking about...again, I believe he was just speaking off the cuff, and they felt no need to walk it back and decided they'd just pretend it never happened in future interviews.

I think the Pre 2 release was an omen, and when we see these products "ship", they will do so in a GSM format on their website first with some carrier agreements to follow at some undetermined point afterward. In this way, they will become like an American Nokia - before the WP7 decision, that is.
    My hypothesis is this:

This policy about not announcing new hardware until its ready for sales is probably going into effect, and perhaps he got some wrong information internally prior to making the specific claim he made a few days ago.

They will likely not address this publically, but, I would venture to say that whomever gave him bad info is feeling some serious pain right now, career wise; it's not good "chi" to make your CEO look foolish by providing him with improper information; Ive seen this before in other companies, and they never rehash this publically.

Anyway, March 14 is slated for Aptheker's debut and state of the HP address, so to say, where he will clarify everything in the past and how HP will proceed forward.

I disagree with the general dissent here that paints HP as a company that simply can't get out of its own way... on the contrary, they just bought Palm not more than 8 months ago, and now will have 4 new devices into the market within 1 year of that deal closing.. that's pretty darned good, actually, for a big company.

I believe that ANY new device announcements WILL adhere to this new policy, unless he retracts it, publically.
    Last edited by LCGuy; 02/12/2011 at 03:44 PM.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

i bet someone got an *** chewing. i would have been ok with the pre 3 released with webos 1.4.5

i think there would have been less of a backlash if he never made the statement of weeks and not months.

all that other stuff about being cool is just hog wash to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    I think the Pre 2 release was an omen, and when we see these products "ship", they will do so in a GSM format on their website first with some carrier agreements to follow at some undetermined point afterward. In this way, they will become like an American Nokia - before the WP7 decision, that is.
    Agreed. This also fits in with what HP has been doing with their Ipaq smartphones since Bradley took over in 2005.
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    ... on the contrary, they just bought Palm not more than 8 months ago, and now will have 4 new devices into the market within 1 year of that deal closing.. that's pretty darned good, actually, for a big company.
    You make some valid points, except this part. They don't actually have 4 new devices "into the market," defined in the only meaningful sense as available for sale. They only have one, the Pre 2, and it's likely that this particular phone was already designed, prototyped, and perhaps even in production when the HP acquisition occurred. The only product that's likely to have been outside of Palm's pre-existing roadmap (meaning, something HP started from scratch) is the TouchPad.

I'm not saying it's possible or likely that they'd have any new products by this point. Indeed, I didn't really expect them to (although I certainly hoped for a miracle). Rather, I'm saying they have zero new products actually on the market that can be attributable to HP. And, everything else--the Veer, the Pre 3, and the TouchPad--are only future potential products until they're actually shipping and available for purchase.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    I don't think he changed his mind. He's a software guy (SAP) and I don't think he realized that shipping from the factory isn't the same as launching on a carrier. The Veer is ready to go, but they haven't even finalized a carrier for it yet...

I'll bet Sprint wishes they had launched the Veer instead of that 2-screen android fail they announced on the 7th.
    I think he will be proved right when Veer is available since it is expected to be available early March.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I don't think he changed his mind. He's a software guy (SAP) and I don't think he realized that shipping from the factory isn't the same as launching on a carrier. The Veer is ready to go, but they haven't even finalized a carrier for it yet...
    That just means he doesn't know what he's doing or talking about. That doesn't exactly inspire confidence. HP wants to be a CE company. You would think they would have hired someone who knows the difference between factory shipment and product availability. Bad sign.

Quote Originally Posted by sapient2k7 View Post
    I think he will be proved right when Veer is available since it is expected to be available early March.
    I don't see how that helps. The statement was that they would no longer announce products that were not ready. In no sport is one out of three a good average. Not only is the TP, their big announcement, not ready for market, it's not even ready to show. It is incomplete and non-optimized. This is not the impression you want to leave. Can you think of an Apple announcement where the products were not ready when demoed to the press? Me either. Bad sign.
    Quote Originally Posted by sapient2k7 View Post
    This - in my opinion - makes things worse. If you have a product ready to go in four weeks time (four weeks from Feb. 9 = early March), why would you give a "spring" release timeframe? Motorola and RIM gave "Q1" release timeframes for the Xoom and Playbook, respectively, because they knew it wouldn't be ready a few weeks later. Motorola is scrambling to make the end of February. RIM might make late March.

More importantly, why would you not have a carrier name ready to drop at the event? That is the only way to achieve significant penetration in the US. The Palm Pre 2 has been available as an unlocked device for months now, yet people in America have been clamoring for a set date for it to launch on Verizon or any other US carrier. And that was a case where they were able to drop Verizon's name into the initial press release in October. The same would be true of the Veer.

Again, this is not the same as "shipping" computers or printers. Here in America, devices aren't really considered available until they are carrier subsidized and promoted. If you think the Veer and Pre 3 would be just fine banished to the "unlocked phones" section of Best Buy or Fry's, think again.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    That just means he doesn't know what he's doing or talking about. That doesn't exactly inspire confidence. HP wants to be a CE company. You would think they would have hired someone who knows the difference between factory shipment and product availability. Bad sign.
    I was kidding... your sarcasm filter must have kicked in
  15.    #15  
    I was kidding... your sarcasm filter must have kicked in
    Yep. Totally missed it. Sarcasm filter, disengaged.
    Quote Originally Posted by c_legaspi View Post
    i bet someone got an *** chewing. i would have been ok with the pre 3 released with webos 1.4.5
    You know, I never thought about that.. but not even 1.4.5. Why would HP not release the Pre 3 immediately (hardware is ready of course, and beautiful), with webOS 2.0 (that's on the market and ready to go, what's the big deal, right) and they could have done the demonstration that they did and said "the pre 3 will be updated to 2.2 or whatever it is that allows the sharing with the tablet, when the tablet is ready)..

solved a lot of problems, yes! (thou, the slab people still wouldn't be happy, but hey, we all have different tastes)
    If they had a carrier they would. The Pre3 hardware and 2,1 was definitely ready for prime time. They just need a carrier.
    If they had a carrier they would. The Pre3 hardware and 2,1 was definitely ready for prime time. They just need a carrier.
    Very true.

So many things that we're all just speculating on.. tis life, after all
    I'll bet Sprint wishes they had launched the Veer instead of that 2-screen android fail they announced on the 7th.
    Well, since the Veer is HSPA+ only, I doubt that Sprint thinks they're missing much. I mean, it won't run on their network, after all.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    No, I don't think so. In the video for Engadget's hands-on, Josh said that several applications weren't working and he crashed the phone trying to bring random ones up. In the demos, the Palm reps essentially had to "drive" to keep journalists away from the stuff not working.

Don't think any of those devices are "ready for primetime". I'm sure once HP has them minimally so, we'll get another press release - ugh - along with an invitation to order it from HP.com.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast