1.    #1  
    Engadget posted their interview with Jon Rubinstein and SVP of applications and services Steven McArthur after the event. I went through and read it and it is just stuff full of nice crispy information. They go over allot of great topics that have concerned people:
    --Getting the Products out to market
    --WebOS on Desktop Computers
    --HP TouchPad marketing against the iPad
    --Is there a market for the HP Veer?
    --The unannounced "Music Synergy" (hint, hint)
    --HP Pre3 being 'out of date' by the time it gets released (including Pre3 getting WebOS 3.0)
    --Older devices not getting the 2.0 update
    --Ruby's view on getting apps
    --Ruby has never touched the iPhone
    I was truly amazed at how clear they were being with them. They were very open and sad down and tried their best to answer the hardest questions the best and clearest way they could. One thing that really got my attention is when Ruby explained the role apps play in the OS world. He explains that they are important but are not key. That they are what I interpreted to be patches for the OS's lack of features.
    He goes into a discussion on how they are working with Skype to DEEPLY integrate all of their services with the Phone app in such a way that there will be absolutely NO Skype app on the WebOS market. His vision is one that leads away from apps because there is no need for them. But if you are a developer, I may have said to much. Don't get worried about no apps on WebOS and go and read it. It is seriously interesting. A very good read. What are your thoughts on the interview??

The Engadget Interview: Jon Rubinstein and Steven McArthur talk webOS on PCs, 'Music Synergy,' competition, and more -- Engadget
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    I saw it this morning (it got covered up by the avalanche of Nokia/Microsoft news), and I was fairly impressed. Most execs won't just sit down and be (or, at least act) this open. They admit they've made mistakes, but they also are really pumping the, "We're HP, and we can do it!" mantra. And, in a lot of ways, they're right. HP is really a massive company, and is more comparable to an Apple than, say, a Google or Microsoft.

HP can do it; the question is if they will. They'll have to get around some politics and ship a kick-*** product ASAP. (the Pre 3 could be that, if it were shipping sooner)
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by saluki42 View Post
    I saw that thread but I wanted to make another to focus more on what Ruby said about apps because I was really impressed with him.
    - John Wayne
    still dupes and idiots.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennat View Post
    He goes into a discussion on how they are working with Skype to DEEPLY integrate all of their services with the Phone app in such a way that there will be absolutely NO Skype app on the WebOS market.
    That's all well and good but what if you don't like/don't want to have a Skype?

Quote Originally Posted by Rennat View Post
    His vision is one that leads away from apps because there is no need for them.

No need for them? I would disagree.
    Apps allow for people to pick and choose the features of their device.
    Instead of being forced into them.

All the time on Facebook/forums etc you always have complaints about "bloatware" put on people's devices by carriers.

This is the same exact thing.

It's all well and good if that's the feature/company you CHOOSE but if you don't want/choose that company, HP is putting themselves out of the choices.

I understand what they are trying to do but, in a general sense, I don't think it's a very good idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post
    That's all well and good but what if you don't like/don't want to have a Skype?
    Then you don't use it.

All the time on Facebook/forums etc you always have complaints about "bloatware" put on people's devices by carriers.

It's all well and good if that's the feature/company you CHOOSE but if you don't want/choose that company, HP is putting themselves out of the choices.

I understand what they are trying to do but, in a general sense, I don't think it's a very good idea.
    The apps will still be there.

However, it is slowly becoming evident that apps will be replaced by web pages as time goes on. That could be many years out, but products like Chrome OS are pushing this agenda forward at a much faster clip than before. I think that it is smart for them to be looking that far out, as well as near term.

Go read liveblogs of the developer event; they know then need developers and what they bring to the table.
    Quote Originally Posted by JKK Photography View Post
    Then you don't use it.

The apps will still be there.

However, it is slowly becoming evident that apps will be replaced by web pages as time goes on. That could be many years out, but products like Chrome OS are pushing this agenda forward at a much faster clip than before. I think that it is smart for them to be looking that far out, as well as near term.

Go read liveblogs of the developer event; they know then need developers and what they bring to the table.
    This developer event? The one mentioned here?

Webapps is just an excuse people use when their platform has anemic developer support. Apple tried using web apps as their primary development platform for iOS and developers responded negatively enough to force them to release the iOS SDK. RIM demoed the PlayBook as a web app based environment and they're now forced to piggyback off of Android apps.
    However, it is slowly becoming evident that apps will be replaced by web pages as time goes on.
    What convinces you of that?

It went mobile pages then apps. Why would it go back?

And I'm not sure how Google Chrome, which is a desktop browser, is working to get away from apps.
    What convinces you of that?

It went mobile pages then apps. Why would it go back?

And I'm not sure how Google Chrome, which is a desktop browser, is working to get away from apps.
    Home - Chrome OS

It's the cloud.
    Home - Chrome OS

It's the cloud.
    I notice you ignored nappy's very relevant post.

You send me to the chrome os home page....so?

Chrome os is for netbooks.

Not for anything else.

And there's a lot of people saying it will be a failure.

I'm just not following where you think it's going to move back to webpages...it moved away from webpages.
    I send you to the web page of an OS that is to be based entirely off of the internet, which is the first of its kind. I doubt it will be the last. Now, without getting into an entirely different kind of debate (argument?), I think that Google knows where things are going. They have Chrome OS, and I'm willing to bet there will be more.

Chrome OS is for netbooks. webOS is for netbooks, phones, printers, desktops, and tablets.

In reply to Nappy's post, I can't counter it. I was there for the original iPhone (I've been everywhere, man), and the web apps sucked. I've never seen the PlayBook, but I do know that it is RIM. I've never had anything good to say about them.

I would like to hope that web standards have improved in the last couple of years, though.

I guess we'll ultimately see. Does it seem silly to be playing a pundit on a subject that nobody can ever truly, accurately predict?
  13.    #13  

I was worried that people would think I said this to much. That is why I added:
    But if you are a developer, I may have said to much. Don't get worried about no apps on WebOS and go and read it.
    BTW you obviously haven't read it.
    Last edited by Rennat; 02/11/2011 at 06:00 PM.
    - John Wayne
    just read some of the interview and got to say....you guys are nuts. all i basically read was,

cant comment on that

get the products out as fast as possible

we will anounce that in the next few months

we got homecourt advantage. ***?

webos 3 - we will issue an ota update at some point.

blah, blah, blah..........

cant say much was answered or clarified.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by c_legaspi View Post
    just read some of the interview and got to say...
    That is the difference between you and me. You didn't even read it. You speak before you know. This is kind of rude but people like you just dont make sense. Please go back and read all of it and think as if you we in their place. When they said "Stay tuned" I gaurentee he had a smile on his face, wishing he could tell them of the awesome news ahead.
    - John Wayne
    i think you read what you wanted to believe and i too did the same. your right i didnt read all of it because i couldnt take the bs.
  17.    #17  
    i think you read what you wanted to believe and i too did the same. your right i didnt read all of it because i couldnt take the bs.
    Look, you didn't even read it so you can't say that it is bs or not. You can't tell me that you read what you wanted to believe.
    I went through and read it and saw executives of HP that were plagued by extremely hard choices to make. As far as the times they could answer aka:

-We'll announce that in the next few months. (WebOS Desktops)
    ---They told us that they have much more of the campaign that they are working on and will tell us in a bit. You have to understand the difficulties of corporate businesses. However, they did *hint hint* at what was to come...if you read

-2.0 on older devices
    ---"No. But we're going to do something special for those people." as well as the Palm blog post which tells the same thing. "We want to support our existing customer base.", "We'll do something. The older devices simply don't have the horsepower."

-Humor?
    ---"And it's not just because I'm on the board!" in response to how they got Kindle to give them high access to the APIs.

-Engadget asks about Pandora being integrated like the Skype app.
    ---HP tells them "What you're describing is Music Synergy." which has never been coined before (NEW info). You sure its not just them using the obvious definition? "Does that exist?" "Stay tuned." da big *HINT* *HINT*

-Hp Veer Market?
    ---"""""This is a high end device in a small package -- and if you own a WiFi tablet, why would you want a big device in your pocket? A good example is someone who travels with their TouchPad, and wants to also have a great little phone in their pocket. This can be their mobile hotspot -- so you have a big screen to work on, and the smaller one."""""
    >>>>If you can't use your reading skills what is getting at here is they are trying to make a phone that will fit every single person. HP Veer, HP Pre2, HP Pre 3, HP TouchPad<<<<
    - John Wayne
    difference between you and me is that youll eat whatever bs that they feed you.
    difference between you and me is that youll eat whatever bs that they feed you.
    No. One has a negative outlook, and the other prefers to look on the brighter side of things. One would like to believe that he/she can take a man's word at full value, and the other believes that speech is worthless and cheap.
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    We need to learn from historical remarks.
    Fact is that Rubenstein always has his hands tied when speaking at anything, so it is always vague.
    At this point, the wise person would look at the past, realise that very little of what Ruby has said in the past came to pass when he said it was to pass.
    The wiser person would take the opportunity to make recommendations on apps or functions that would be useful going into 3.0 and hope for the best but expect the worst.
    ...This programming stuff is actually addictive but really hard :/