1.    #1  
    I'm going to take a wild guess here. I'm curious about what others think. Bear with me...

Shortly after taking over, HP stated they would continue forward with Palm's roadmap (sorry I don't have links). That certainly seems consistant given Pre2, veer and Pre3. There was also speculation of a Palm tablet, hence we have the TouchPad (previously rumored PalmPad).

At quick glance the TouchPad looks like a large Pre. Together the three devices resemble a family of products with a unified vision. However, closer inspection reveals that the tablet has eliminated the keyboard and Pre's original gesture system (back swipe, etc.).

Now my speculation: HP stated we would see a new device release every other month in 2011. (I suspect HP's 4 to 6 months behind development schedule given the very rough "release dates" announced Wednesday). At any rate this means that there are more devices to be released. Now, since WebOS 3.0 thus far does NOT support the Pre's gestures. I'm willing to bet that Veer/Pre 3 are the LAST WebOS phones planned for that form factor. Successive phones will simply be smaller versions of the TouchPad -- slabs.

Thoughts?
    Global Posts
    610 Global Posts
    I expect 2-3 more form factors before the year is out. I'm talking a slab and a landscape keyboard. There is only so many ways to make a phone really. As far as tablets go, we will see the Opal (7" tablet) and the DuoPad (laptop with WebOS).

Just my opinion. Who knows. Would not shock me to see some carrier exclusives soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by ronlongo View Post
    I'm going to take a wild guess here. I'm curious about what others think. Bear with me...

Shortly after taking over, HP stated they would continue forward with Palm's roadmap (sorry I don't have links). That certainly seems consistant given Pre2, veer and Pre3. There was also speculation of a Palm tablet, hence we have the TouchPad (previously rumored PalmPad).

At quick glance the TouchPad looks like a large Pre. Together the three devices resemble a family of products with a unified vision. However, closer inspection reveals that the tablet has eliminated the keyboard and Pre's original gesture system (back swipe, etc.).

Now my speculation: HP stated we would see a new device release every other month in 2011. (I suspect HP's 4 to 6 months behind development schedule given the very rough "release dates" announced Wednesday). At any rate this means that there are more devices to be released. Now, since WebOS 3.0 thus far does NOT support the Pre's gestures. I'm willing to bet that Veer/Pre 3 are the LAST WebOS phones planned for that form factor. Successive phones will simply be smaller versions of the TouchPad -- slabs.

Thoughts?
    +1 to everything said above
    KA1
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.
    Quote Originally Posted by ronlongo View Post

Thoughts?
    OK -- I am going to do this quickly! My post was DELETED by my browser grrr. Anyway -- rant over. I do not agree that the TouchPad was in the pipeline before the buyout. Everything else I do.

I think in in March we will see a landscape keyboard (lets call it Stingray for now) and a slab phone (lets call it Mansion). One or both will be 4G, and they both will have identical specs. And carrier talk. All at the March event.

Also, it is possible -- and makes sense -- if Sprint does not get the Pre 3. Maybe Sprint wants a 4G slab to go up against the iPhone 5 this summer. That could be why there was no carrier talk at the Feb. 4th event. They didn't want to show off the Stingray or Mansion just yet, b/c it's not ready or didn't want to take attention away from the HP TouchPad. And they didn't want to cause an uproar and announce Sprint was not getting the Pre 3. So they choose to stay silent now.

It's a theory, could be wrong. But I could see ATT getting Veer exclusive, Pre 3 ATT and Verizon, Manson for Sprint and Stingray for Verizon (or something like that).
    Quote Originally Posted by astraith View Post

I think in in March we will see a landscape keyboard (lets call it Stingray for now) and a slab phone (lets call it Mansion). One or both will be 4G, and they both will have identical specs. And carrier talk. All at the March event.

Also, it is possible -- and makes sense -- if Sprint does not get the Pre 3. Maybe Sprint wants a 4G slab to go up against the iPhone 5 this summer. That could be why there was no carrier talk at the Feb. 4th event. They didn't want to show off the Stingray or Mansion just yet, b/c it's not ready or didn't want to take attention away from the HP TouchPad. And they didn't want to cause an uproar and announce Sprint was not getting the Pre 3. So they choose to stay silent now.

It's a theory, could be wrong. But I could see ATT getting Veer exclusive, Pre 3 ATT and Verizon, Manson for Sprint and Stingray for Verizon (or something like that).
    HP would be smart to do this...your plan makes perfect sense you should work there...
    I think it depends on success. If hp sells 5-10 million pre3, and veers by the end of the year, I think they'll keep going. The pre3 is AMAZING if out today, but come summer, it's going to be mid-range. So if the mid-range does well, they'll obviously work on a better one for next year.

As for the Veer, I think they'll give that form factor another shot, regardless since next years tech will allow it to be slimmer, more powerful, last longer, tap to share, and audio out. (they might not have micro usb, cause that's not a big deal to the average Joe, especially not when bundled with a touchstone.. Which come to think of it, is gigantic compared to the Veer.) Which would make it a whole lot more attractive for some users.
    The "march event" you are talking about, is a HP investor relations event. Has NOTHING to do with Palm.
    So don't expect any announcements there. I think we will see the next big event in Summer (as June/July area).

The gesture area simply didn't make sense (for them) on a tablet. So they scratched it for the tablet. They didn't scratch it for phones.
    As webOS 3.x will come on Veer, Pre2 and Pre3 at a later date (Ruby said that in the last days somewhere), it will also support the gesture area.
    ^engadget interview
    Quote Originally Posted by dj ozone View Post
    HP would be smart to do this...your plan makes perfect sense you should work there...
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rot View Post
    The "march event" you are talking about, is a HP investor relations event. Has NOTHING to do with Palm.
    So don't expect any announcements there. I think we will see the next big event in Summer (as June/July area).

The gesture area simply didn't make sense (for them) on a tablet. So they scratched it for the tablet. They didn't scratch it for phones.
    As webOS 3.x will come on Veer, Pre2 and Pre3 at a later date (Ruby said that in the last days somewhere), it will also support the gesture area.
    Could have sworn it was a new event that Leo talked about. Then again, he is the guy who said we would have products in our hands in two weeks ...
    I'm really excited for the Opal. 9.7" is just too large to be a usable tablet for me.
    I would normally think that would be a good idea to hold out and see what the iPhone 5 will offer, and it might be an option, but based on what I have seen and heard with the new products and release dates, I don't think that's what's happening. They had competitive specs today but won't be released till tomorrow (figuratively). Plus had a slew of broken promises/"lies" to us recently