Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. philbw's Avatar
    Posts
    310 Posts
    Global Posts
    352 Global Posts
       #1  
    So after the recent news a lot of people are obviously upset about the lack of new hardware available anytime soon, heck I'm with ya. What I'm noticing, though, is that despite peoples feelings about HP and the lack of new hardware most of us flat out like using webOS.

    Think back to the 90s. Everyone knew a Mac user (maybe you were that guy) and despite the ridicule they got for using a system that didn't have near the software available as Windows nor the market share they kept on using it. The Mac had certain advantages and UI enhancements that they just didn't want to give up. So even though most of the great games weren't available nor was a lot of professional software available they used their beloved Mac anyway. Even when Windows was steamrolling everything in their path the Mac users stayed loyal.

    Now lets look at today. Most of those Mac users are still using one, a lot more is available for them (admittedly not *quite* as much as Windows, but better than it was 10 years ago).

    So as a webOS user do you feel like you're in the same boat that the Mac users were in 10 - 20 years ago? Watching the Androids and iPhones cruise on by yet because of the operating system you hang on to your beaten and bruised Pre- because even if your loyalty to the parent company is fading you still have to have webOS as your operating system.

    What are your thoughts?

    Note: I'm actually not a Mac user at all (in fact I even ridiculed some Mac users in the 90s for that I'm really sorry)

    - Phil -
  2. #2  
    I don't know if that's the best parallel to draw. I mean, I see where you're going with the comparison but the Mac has always had strong usage in education and design.

    I think webOS is more like OS/2 in the 90s. It had a stronger foundation than Windows 3.1 and Windows 95 but it was considerably weaker in the areas people really care about -- like developer and hardware support. And while IBM was screaming "this does real multitasking, why aren't you buying it?!" Microsoft was making money hats with their Windows 95 revenue and catching up to OS/2 functionality.

    If you ever have a few hours to kill you should look up the whole OS/2 thing. IBM's battle for the desktop in the 90s was pretty much exactly what's playing out right now with webOS and the mobile space.

    Just to give you an idea of how much OS/2 users loved their platform - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Team_OS/2
  3. #3  
    Spot on, nappy.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
  4. philbw's Avatar
    Posts
    310 Posts
    Global Posts
    352 Global Posts
       #4  
    Very good points there nappy. Just for clarification though I wasn't trying to really compare the companies themselves more the users and their experiences. I understand that the course Apple took and the course Palm/HP took are very different.

    I'm saying a lot of people stuck with the Mac operating system simply because they liked it a lot more than Windows even if it didn't have the same amount of software or the mainstream recognition. Which is exactly how I see a lot of webOS users today.

    - Phil -
  5. #5  
    I understand the point you're trying to make, but I don't think WebOS users are anywhere near as faithful as Apple fanatics. Plenty of threads in these forums of people jumping ship to Android, especially after the latest announcements. Mac may not have had quite the same amount of software as Windows did, but it had enough. Regardless of how good OS/2 may have been as an OS, it was impossible to remain faithful to it because of the lack of developer support. It was a neat thing to experiment around with, but when you wanted to get something done, the tools to do it with were not always there.

    WebOS is in the same boat as OS/2 in that it is a great OS, but the lack of developer support--and now the lack of a promised upgrade--is making it very, very difficult for people to stay faithful. WebOS is not yet at the level of success as Mac/Apple was/is until it is able to keep itself afloat on its fanbase alone.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
  6. #6  
    To add on to what Syndil said, Mac usage was way down at one point but there were still some pretty compelling reasons to use one. Macs were fairly ubiquitous in many K-12 computer labs, for example.

    I think the history of this industry shows us that software, especially operating systems, need mass market adoption to survive. To bring this back to webOS, there's nothing wrong with someone using it just because they like it; it probably does everything they want from a mobile experience. The problem is Android and iOS are catching up to what webOS does well (interface, notifications, multitasking) while webOS is stagnating in the areas Android and iOS excel in (developer support, content delivery, marketshare). Eventually you reach a point where you run out of reasons to use it and that's how niche software dies out.
  7. #7  
    I was that guy. I had a Mac, and I still do.

    And I agree with the comparison; it feels similar.
  8. #8  
    I was not quite that guy; I got a Mac in 2004; post iPod but pre Intel. I've heard Rahul Sood make the same comparison, and I'd say it's pretty close, but that the other big way that webOS could go is Amiga OS. At a time, critically applauded for it's fantastic design, and groundbreaking features, but development basically stopped, but there's nevertheless a probably slightly mentally ill fanbase clinging onto it and claiming 10 years later that nothing out today matches it.
  9. #9  
    This is a good point. It actually is quite similar but there is the fact that HP is the buggest PC distribuater in the world (apple not so much) and WebOS is a very Corporate friendly device (not as much as blackberry but still very much so)
    BTW....posted from my iMac he he
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
  10. #10  
    I think Palm and Apple compare well, but in a bad way. Apple supporters were likened to a religious cult. They had a creepy fervor, a type of loyalty that went far beyond motivated self interest. It was Apple, right or wrong. It was the cult of the underdog, and the family of misfits.

    That is the WebOS community now.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    I think Palm and Apple compare well, but in a bad way. Apple supporters were likened to a religious cult. They had a creepy fervor, a type of loyalty that went far beyond motivated self interest. It was Apple, right or wrong. It was the cult of the underdog, and the family of misfits.

    That is the WebOS community now.
    We basically were a religious cult actually. The neurological mechanisms by which we were attached to Apple are quite similar to the ones utilized by religion and cults. The thing was, Apple really used to care about their users, and their experiences. One of the most amazing things that ever happened to me was opening a .dmg, and having it tell me to drag and drop the application to my applications folder, and then realizing that there was no step two. I had never had a program not run a 5 step installer where it copied a bunch of files with a loading bar that went backwards before. That's where that loyalty came from; the knowledge that computing could be intuitive, easy, virus free, and even, gasp, fun that made me love Apple.

    That said, things have changed. These days, Apple doesn't care about the power user; only joe blow on the street, won't let us tinker, because they've gotten too big to have to rely on the community. They're no longer about making the best solution, but the simplest. The hardware is designed to be nonupgradable in order that there aren't seams. It's about designing for the dumbest people around now. It never was before, even if they dumb people could use it. The product is no longer a product, it's now a piece of art.

    In closing though, I don't think that's a bad thing. I don't think we're quite at the same levels; I know for sure that anyone announcing that they were jumping ship on a mac forum, ever, would be laughed at. Nobody ever jumped ship from Apple, excepting the 68000 and prior days. The other thing though, is that the thing solidifying the Apple Misfit rep is the fantastic advertising they had. The key was that being a Mac user made you something more. You would not conform. You were better than that. You were an individual. That's fallen by the wayside too, as their marketshare has expanded. The big difference was that Mac users had cohesion. We don't have that. We're just in it for the products. Here's to hoping that they can come up with a great narrative for webOS users soon.
  12. j_benj's Avatar
    Posts
    224 Posts
    Global Posts
    465 Global Posts
    #12  
    I would prefer to be likened to the Amiga users of yesterday

    sent from my Nook Color
  13. philbw's Avatar
    Posts
    310 Posts
    Global Posts
    352 Global Posts
       #13  
    I completely forgot about the Amiga. That's a pretty accurate comparison as well. Here's to hoping webOS doesn't become another Amiga (or OS/2) for that matter.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by BoraWare View Post
    So after the recent news a lot of people are obviously upset about the lack of new hardware available anytime soon, heck I'm with ya. What I'm noticing, though, is that despite peoples feelings about HP and the lack of new hardware most of us flat out like using webOS.

    Think back to the 90s. Everyone knew a Mac user (maybe you were that guy) and despite the ridicule they got for using a system that didn't have near the software available as Windows nor the market share they kept on using it. The Mac had certain advantages and UI enhancements that they just didn't want to give up. So even though most of the great games weren't available nor was a lot of professional software available they used their beloved Mac anyway. Even when Windows was steamrolling everything in their path the Mac users stayed loyal.

    Now lets look at today. Most of those Mac users are still using one, a lot more is available for them (admittedly not *quite* as much as Windows, but better than it was 10 years ago).

    So as a webOS user do you feel like you're in the same boat that the Mac users were in 10 - 20 years ago? Watching the Androids and iPhones cruise on by yet because of the operating system you hang on to your beaten and bruised Pre- because even if your loyalty to the parent company is fading you still have to have webOS as your operating system.

    What are your thoughts?

    Note: I'm actually not a Mac user at all (in fact I even ridiculed some Mac users in the 90s for that I'm really sorry)

    - Phil -
    I agree with you and I was the guy who went for Windows even while apple was Mac's were cool in my college dorm. Mac was *****-proof and innovative. PCs were utilitarian and required "some-assembly".

    WebOS is a little in this boat except iOS is considered both cooler and more utilitarian. HP is not going to win as the cooler alternative or be considered the feisty underdog. How that translates into growth prospects, I wouldn't guess.
    __________________________________
    Palm Pilot, Palm III, Palm V, Palm Vx, Kyocera 7135, Treo 650, Treo 680, Treo 700p, Centro, Palm Pre (minus) . . . ???
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by BoraWare View Post
    Here's to hoping webOS doesn't become another Amiga (or OS/2) for that matter.
    webOS is deserving of a strong, caring custodian. So far HP hasn't shown themselves to be worthy.
  16. #16  
    I would like to make money hats like M$...

Posting Permissions