Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    In the interview with Engadget, Steven McArthur makes this claim:

Steven: We expect to have apps in the low tens of thousands by the launch of the Pre 3 and TouchPad. That's phase 1. We've got a massive footprint, we're committed to building the best tools for developers, and we're committed to putting in place the best marketing, and helping them drive their business programs.
    I would love to know where/how he's getting these figures. I know they can't be coming from in-house (it's just not feasible); do they really expect there to be a surge of development in the next few weeks after the 2/9 announcement?
    I guess so, know one will know until launch then huh. Its not unbelieveable again HP has partnerships will hundreds of developers, and they state that they have a solution in place for major developers that have a issue developing on webos. I myself dont see it as a long shot at all sorry.
    I know it sounds to good to be true, but I was also surprised by some of the content providers they had available at the Feb 9 announcement.

Its not impossible. 10-20k apps would do a lot to quiet the haters, but there has to be a large portion of quality apps.
    as long as it doesn't mean mostly CrApps, who cares how many real Apps there are? It's just a marketing gimmick like 3G, 4G, etc.

# Apps available is like comparing not-so-important stats on ESPN, nice to know, but doesn't really mean all that much in the big picture.
    I see pandas.
    Don't forget they had an internal comtest at hp a while back for employees . We still haven't seen any of these apps have we ??

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    you don't need 10,000 apps, you need 500 killer apps. ALL the big hitters, great apps and great WebOS phones will sell. The rest will follow.

oh, and the phone needs to be for sale on my carrier so I can buy it. I hope they don't wait for apps to release the Pre3
    It looks like a stat execs throw around to get their platform taken seriously, Rubenstein inflated app numbers consistently.

They have 6K now in the app catalogue so if they can get another 5K-10K, that could conceivable put then in the "tens [of thousands]".
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    Don't forget they had an internal comtest at hp a while back for employees . We still haven't seen any of these apps have we ??
    ive been wondering the same... where are all those apps, even a few good ones?

i thought that maybe at the feb9 announcement they would have shown a whole slew of new apps from HP to be made available right away in the app catalog... at least thats what i would have done over the last several months

apps are key, thats a major factor when people are looking at the different platforms
    They've got Citrix for Pre3 and Pad (see front page of precentral). So they will get some enterprise apps, perhaps consumer will lag?
    I can't say this is impossible, but when you've only managed ~6K apps in ~18 months it's hard to believe you'll add another ~4K apps in 3-6 months unless something major has changed. Even then, hitting 10K is not the same as "tens of thousands" in my book. 20K, 30K+ is more what I see when I read "tens of thousands". That me just be me though.
    Quote Originally Posted by rendernyc View Post
    ive been wondering the same... where are all those apps, even a few good ones?

i thought that maybe at the feb9 announcement they would have shown a whole slew of new apps from HP to be made available right away in the app catalog... at least thats what i would have done over the last several months

apps are key, thats a major factor when people are looking at the different platforms
    They're all for WebOS 2.x and above. Oh wait, the majority of the customers won't get 2.x..........
    Palm III>Sony CLI S300>Sony CLI N760C>Sony CLI TG50 & Tapwave Zodiac 2>Handspring Treo 600>Palm Treo 700p>Palm Treo 755p>Palm Pre>FrankenPre2
    they must be pretty confident, between this claim and the "best apps" line in the promo materials. My guess is they mean it.
    Is this below the HP Development Studio?
    Hmmn, I notice the apps for the printers are no longer supporting Google maps but they still are supporting Bing, the Pad was using Bing, yes?
    HP ePrintCenter | News
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    I would love to know where/how he's getting these figures. I know they can't be coming from in-house (it's just not feasible); do they really expect there to be a surge of development in the next few weeks after the 2/9 announcement?
    Either the numbers came from here:
    Palm USA | Palm webOS Applications | Mobile apps that go further.

or here:
    http://www.tandtapps.com/images/magichat.jpg
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spade View Post
    10-20k apps would do a lot to quiet the haters
    I find it very sad when people here find it necessary to call fellow posters EITHER "haters" or "f*nb*ys
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    What he meant was "tenths of a thousand"... There are currently 56 tenths of a thousand apps for webOS.

HP is develping app for free! (but oly for the big players)

Maybe this will be true. They could made a apps for every big newspaper, store, travelcenter and more. This would be -for the US alone- a few hundreds.

Quote Originally Posted by sinime View Post
    What he meant was "tenths of a thousand"... There are currently 56 tenths of a thousand apps for webOS.

Nope, we only have around 6000 aps. So we still need 14000 be be able to say tens of thousands (plural)
    I'm racking my brain for any consumer app that HP has created, but I can't think of any. My kneejerk reaction is, "they're a hardware company. They write printer drivers."

My second is, "they're going to be giving all of these apps away for free? How is that not undercutting their current developers?"
    February 9, 2011 - A case study in how not to introduce new products.
    I believe HP stated they would give apps to the companies for free, who could then give or sell to customers to access said companies content.
    I see pandas.
    Quote Originally Posted by PrinceAlbert View Post
    I believe HP stated they would give apps to the companies for free, who could then give or sell to customers to access said companies content.
    And that can be a complete recipe for disaster. It's just not that easy to delve into someone else's source code when a bug is found or an update is needed. Speaking for my company, we've been down that road and it's always been better to build the software from the ground up.
    February 9, 2011 - A case study in how not to introduce new products.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast