Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by sinime View Post
    What he meant was "tenths of a thousand"... There are currently 56 tenths of a thousand apps for webOS.
    LOL
    Maybe they know something we don't? HP has been pretty good about keeping hush.

My Themes:CLICK HERE
    I'll be labeled a "hater" or blocked even more for this but...

Does this not worry anyone? First it was, developers will flock to us and build apps because we use the tools that they already know and love. Then it was, developers will flock to us because we make it easy to port games from iOS. Now it's we'll just build the apps for the big boys ourselves and turn it over to them.

I don't necessarily think this is a bad idea, but it is a little concerning that it is a necessary, no?
    What do you want People a multitude of apps . Which is it ? Alot of apps that mostly are crap like the others ios android ? Or less apps with more quality apps . Webos which does not have tons and tons but it has alot of good quality apps even alot by no name dev's that are better then some of the big names ? You can't have both . That's just the way it is . You get a few dev's that are about money and don't care about quality but quantity . It hapens in iOS android and it will happen here eventually. I'd rather have 1000 apps with 10 quality apps mixed in than 20,000 with the same amount of quality apps mixed in but I have . I dnt want to spend hours looking for a good app. Just sayin.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeisnowonfire View Post
    Maybe they know something we don't? HP has been pretty good about keeping hush.
    It's easy to stay quiet when there's nothing to talk about.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    What do you want People a multitude of apps . Which is it ? Alot of apps that mostly are crap like the others ios android ? Or less apps with more quality apps . Webos which does not have tons and tons but it has alot of good quality apps even alot by no name dev's that are better then some of the big names ? You can't have both . That's just the way it is . You get a few dev's that are about money and don't care about quality but quantity . It hapens in iOS android and it will happen here eventually. I'd rather have 1000 apps with 10 quality apps mixed in than 20,000 with the same amount of quality apps mixed in but I have . I dnt want to spend hours looking for a good app. Just sayin.

Uh, quantity and quality are not mutually exclusive.

Are you really suggesting webOS has higher quality apps than Android and iOS?
    Quote Originally Posted by dbdoinit View Post
    It's easy to stay quiet when there's nothing to talk about.
    ^^^

Sent from my eVo
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    What do you want People a multitude of apps.
    I don't use them all personally. But I'm glad the multitude means I can probably find the ones that I want.

I'd rather have 1000 apps with 10 quality apps mixed in than 20,000 with the same amount of quality apps mixed in...
    So which 10 would you pick? Would it be the same 10 as I would pick? Would it be the same 10 for all webOS users? The reason a "long tail" is needed in app selection is because we don't all want the same thing.

Are you saying webOS got more quality apps than iOS and android? What are you smoking?
    hmm he says hp has another announcement coming.. Also they will start the ad campaign with the grammys
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullroarer Took View Post
    And that can be a complete recipe for disaster. It's just not that easy to delve into someone else's source code when a bug is found or an update is needed. Speaking for my company, we've been down that road and it's always been better to build the software from the ground up.
    LOL, I'm not a programmer, but that was one of my thoughts after hearing that. Hopefully, this will be mutual projects, with input from the intended companies, otherwise you may get this:

HP: "Here ya go Company X, here's your webOS App"

Company X IT Dept: "Why in the world did they do it this way? That's not how it will work with our systems?!?!"
    I see pandas.
    Global Posts
    610 Global Posts
    Don't forget they had an internal comtest at hp a while back for employees . We still haven't seen any of these apps have we ??

There is an HP Americas Partner Conference app. Called HP APC. It's in the Palm Beta food. No idea what it does though. So some are coming. We shall see.
    Quote Originally Posted by bnceo View Post
    There is an HP Americas Partner Conference app. Called HP APC. It's in the Palm Beta food. No idea what it does though. So some are coming. We shall see.
    What does it taste like? Chicken?
    I think most are forgeting too that Palm was the company that owned Webos first not HP. Palm couldnt scale webos, and couldnt get developers on board regardless if the pre took off like they wanted it to. Hp not only has resources, they have partnerships with major corporations all over the world. To me this is not unimaginable at all, what the question though you should ask what lengths do they have to do to getting major developers on board (like how they noted making a app or so if major developers has a issue with doing it themselves). Either way they have the funds to persuade developers, and the resources to do whatever it takes where as Palm never could. Think out of the box people its HP not Palm.
  15. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    I think most are forgeting too that Palm was the company that owned Webos first not HP. Palm couldnt scale webos, and couldnt get developers on board regardless if the pre took off like they wanted it to. Hp not only has resources, they have partnerships with major corporations all over the world. To me this is not unimaginable at all, what the question though you should ask what lengths do they have to do to getting major developers on board (like how they noted making a app or so if major developers has a issue with doing it themselves). Either way they have the funds to persuade developers, and the resources to do whatever it takes where as Palm never could. Think out of the box people its HP not Palm.
    And what do they develop on? According to what came out of the developers meaning, there is no public SDK available yet and no timeline for it to appear.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    And what do they develop on? According to what came out of the developers meaning, there is no public SDK available yet and no timeline for it to appear.
    Ahhh, Mojo still works. Yeah, it could get yanked somewhere down the line (in light of Feb. 9, I'd say a good chance of this). But who knows for sure that there isn't an Enyo SDK lurking at some trusted HP partners development departments? They DO have some Enyo apps right now.... Email, Kindle, SI, etc... you know, the apps that were showing running on the TouchPad.

EDIT: Brain fart... Nothing has been mentioned about PDK/Enyo compatibility. I assume all is right in the world of PDK apps continuing on?

Don't forget they had an internal comtest at hp a while back for employees . We still haven't seen any of these apps have we ??
    I wouldn't hold much faith that those apps are amazing apps. I'm not trying to knock anyone that works at HP and entered in the contest, but writing an app for an internal company contest could easily bring 500 more fart apps or apps closer to a "hello world" app than something everyone wants to download. I would think that any really good ones would have been released already and possibly under the employee’s name rather than “Palm” or “HP”.
    Last edited by sinime; 02/11/2011 at 02:25 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    Hp not only has resources, they have partnerships with major corporations all over the world. To me this is not unimaginable at all, what the question though you should ask what lengths do they have to do to getting major developers on board (like how they noted making a app or so if major developers has a issue with doing it themselves). Either way they have the funds to persuade developers, and the resources to do whatever it takes where as Palm never could. Think out of the box people its HP not Palm.
    Seeing is believing. They had 7 months and what I understand they showed on Feb 9th was a partnership with Time for 4 magazines and who rejected Apple's terms, a basic Kindle App (bravo Ruby for getting on Amazon board) and Spielberg's movie label (did this come out of their hire of the new dev head who came from lucasfilms?). The remaining apps came from Palm's tenure.

Microsoft is a big company, have they significantly penetrated the app world with their money?

I'm not saying HP can't succeed, I'm saying its hard and risky and the world is littered with big companies who fail at new products. That saying, HP may not have a choice as apparently Pads may be beginning to cannibalize pc sales according to at least 1 article I read recently and the world is indeed moving to the cloud.

ps forgot Citrix which was not highlighted Feb 9
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    I don't recall seeing any developers featured at the HP event. What I saw were magazine publishers, video content companies, and Qualcomm. Essentially, what we saw were content providers who agreed to let HP use their content to make into media apps in exchange for some spotlight time at the event. I wonder why HP couldn't get any of these developers to go up on the stage to say how it took them only three days to port their app to Enyo.
    I think this is the most telling part:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3576538/pre3apps.png

Same old stuff. Compare that to the apps Apple and Google showcase on their sites.
    There were 5,000 apps on February 8th. Right now how many apps will run on the Pre3 or TouchPad? Here is what DanPLC said:

Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    It's clear HP is starting over and rebooting webOS. I think their reasoning is that the current user base is an insignificant blip on the radar compared to other mobile platforms, so they're starting over with a new development framework (Enyo) and new devices. It is unfortunate for existing customers and developers, but I guess they're trying to focus on the long-term gains (future customers), vs. the short-term losses (us).

...In their eyes, the 5000 existing apps are meaningless compared to the 100,000+ new apps they expect to create. In their eyes it's out with the old, in with the new.
    Dan was in on the ground floor with webOS back in the summer of 2009. Read back through some of the thousands of posts and how carefully Dan considered each idea.

Dan could have chosen any OS and had the best music app with his Music Player (Remix).

Dan chose webOS Mojo. To bad HP didn't.
    Global Posts
    610 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    Dan could have chosen any OS and had the best music app with his Music Player (Remix).

Dan chose webOS Mojo. To bad HP didn't.
    Would not shock me to see a Music Player (Remix) for Enyo.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast