1.    #1  
    Moving on from all this OTA troubles. And im sure HP will announce carriers at MWC.

I've been thinking for a while, why do I need webOS on my PC. Once i started to think about the email and calender client it all started to make sense. You see i have yahoo, gmail and hotmail accounts. That means having 3 completely different web clients open. All of these work differently and none are really well optimised to work well with both my small netbook screen or big desktop one. The new email client is one app that will pull together all these clients into one unified experience. No need to log on to several accounts just one, my palm profile.

the rest just flows from that. In some ways i think synergy is needed just as much on the PC as the mobile and netbook. I imagine this being offered for free and not requiring a webOS device. Much like apple uses iTunes as an introduction to the iPhone, webOS on a PC would be the introduction to HP mobile devices. Yes it works well as a standalone concept on the PC, but wait until you link it with your mobile.
  2. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Once i started to think about the email and calender client it all started to make sense. You see i have yahoo, gmail and hotmail accounts. That means having 3 completely different web clients open.
    Set the gmail account up to collect all of them, it will also reply to any mail as if it was the original account. I run about 10 different accounts from a single gmail account.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Set the gmail account up to collect all of them, it will also reply to any mail as if it was the original account. I run about 10 different accounts from a single gmail account.
    I didn't know you could do that, and I expect most users wont know either. I will give it a go sometime to see how well it works. I doubt it will be a fluid seamless experience though. Also Gmail is my least favourite out of the bunch, but like hotmail having an account comes in useful when signing up for Google of Microsoft services.
  4. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    I doubt it will be a fluid seamless experience though.
    It's completely fluid - they simply appear as any other email would and when you reply to them, it will use the original account (your exchange account for example) as default or you can use your gmail account to answer.

I don't actually use my hotmail account with gmail but I've just tried it to see if it works.

1) In gmail - setting >>>> First you select add account, then you tell it your hotmail account name.

2) It emails verification to your hotmail account, you click on it. Then while in hotmail tell it to forward mails to gmail.

3) Your gmail account will now reply as your hotmail account.
    Last edited by CGK; 02/11/2011 at 05:13 AM.
    i cannot even really imagine how webos on a pc would work unless it's a touchscreen anyways. i think hp should just focus on tablets and phones. i highly doubt webos will make a dent against apple & microsoft for desktop software.
  6.    #6  
    The touch screen just doesn't work for non-handheld devices.

What is it you need from a touchscreen that can not be done from a mouse. The only thing I can think of is multi-touch gestures like pinch to zoom etc. I can achieve this by holding CTRL and using the scroll wheel.

Their not going to be able to replicate the mobile experience with touch and tilt etc, but it will allow people to manage there personal information using synergy and provide a stepping stone to a full WebOS device.
    Quote Originally Posted by fixxxer1022 View Post
    i cannot even really imagine how webos on a pc would work unless it's a touchscreen anyways. i think hp should just focus on tablets and phones. i highly doubt webos will make a dent against apple & microsoft for desktop software.
    I can imagine. They would have to develop their own special keyboard. If you wanted to activate the cards view, you'd tap the gesture area (probably somewhere to the side) and you'd get your cards. You could swipe with the gesture area or use the keypad arrows. If you wanted to just switch an application, take your hand and swipe the gesture area and you'll switch to the next application.

The real interesting thing is: are they going to continue to use Intel and AMD processors? Thats going to be a lot of work to provide support for those processors. If they do, are they going to sell WebOS so you can put it on any computer or keep it for HP only? Thats the question I want to know!
  8.    #8  
    In my opinion it needs to be free and work on any PC. HP sell a lot of PCs, but so do DELL, TOSHIBA etc etc and people tend to keep them for longer than phones.

Some stuff could be HP only such as touch2share, but if they want to get their foot in the door with average Joe it needs to be free.
    Quote Originally Posted by hagster View Post
    In my opinion it needs to be free and work on any PC. HP sell a lot of PCs, but so do DELL, TOSHIBA etc etc and people tend to keep them for longer than phones.

Some stuff could be HP only such as touch2share, but if they want to get their foot in the door with average Joe it needs to be free.
    I agree. I see webOS apps actually running in windows, akin to adobe AIR (which actually uses similar technology (web standards + flash) to develop cross platform browserless apps (facebook is a common one). The one thing people forget is that Enyo is designed to allow apps to be cross platform (both phone and tablet) and have drastically different UI on each. It wouldn't be hard for it to also have a "mouse" mode. It also wouldn't be hard to allow these apps to run, not only on windows, but also on mac OSX (eventually) or other OSes.