Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    Okay, is it just me but do others agree that with all this turmoil since yesterday's event - some execs are going to get the axe soon? Specifically, I need to point out Rubey. I'll only mention him here because he is truly the face of the (former) Palm brand.

With this much negativity growing by the hour - and HP feeding it at the same rate - I believe his firing will signify 1) Acceptance that they have dissapointed consumers 2) They have muddied the webOS name quite well and need to clearn it up and 3) Remove his presence to remove them (HP) from the controversy of it all.

I don't know but I have a feeling that Rubey - if not someone close to him - will be getting the axe near future. I hope this post stays relevant long enough to revisit it if it ever happens
    I doubt they would get him fired; taking heat is part of the job.

He doesn't need to be fired, though. Him being fired would only signify that HP (a company who would definitely screw webOS up) would be taking charge in a very hostile manner.

Basically, it's a bad idea to try to fire these ex-Apple employees, because they seem to have their heads on straight.
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JKK Photography View Post
    I doubt they would get him fired; taking heat is part of the job.

He doesn't need to be fired, though. Him being fired would only signify that HP (a company who would definitely screw webOS up) would be taking charge in a very hostile manner.

Basically, it's a bad idea to try to fire these ex-Apple employees, because they seem to have their heads on straight.
    Could it be...John...John, is that really you?
    If Jon gets fired I bet you all that Steve will pick him up, in a interview Steve admitted that one of his biggest mistake was letting go of Jon, so Jon already has a home and bed ready for him at Apple.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trusttee View Post
    Could it be...John...John, is that really you?
    <<mod delete>>

Umm, I can neither confirm nor deny (nor go into detail) anything (or nothing) about my true (or false, or half true, or entirely false) identity.
    Last edited by bevcraw; 02/12/2011 at 05:31 PM.
  6. dpc
    Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    Why would anyone want Ruby to leave?
    Quote Originally Posted by dpc View Post
    Because his ego cannot let go of the Pre...

I love the Pre3, but wish they also released 3 other form factors:

1) 4'' Slab
    2) Treo form factor with keyboard
    3) Landscape slider

Imagine a webOS lineup of all of those with the Pre and its Portrait slider. Unstoppable
    Quote Originally Posted by dpc View Post
    Yeah, I'm with you. I truly believe the man has vision despite the failings of webOS. There was a time when I thought Ruby needed to go but that's because incredibly poor decisions were made on his watch. I think he's right where he belongs right now -- concentrating on making and shipping products while letting people with experience running a company handle the overarching decisions.

Okay, I just read his interview with Engadget and I take back everything I said. When the answer to every question is "of course we'll succeed - we're HP!" there's a serious problem.

It doesn't help that he says he's never used an iPad before either.
    Last edited by nappy; 02/11/2011 at 01:44 AM.
  9. dpc
    Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyruz Reaper View Post
    Because his ego cannot let go of the Pre...

I love the Pre3, but wish they also released 3 other form factors:

1) 4'' Slab
    2) Treo form factor with keyboard
    3) Landscape slider

Imagine a webOS lineup of all of those with the Pre and its Portrait slider. Unstoppable
    Yeah but that's assuming that his replacement would grant your wishes. I'm with you on 2, it would be nice to bring that back.
    "Look, your guys' job is to look at everyone's experience and compare them -- my job is to create new experiences, and I don't know how to do that if I'm being impacted and influenced by what other people are doing."

I have a feeling many other people would do better than jon. He thinks of himself as a steve jobs or a johnny ive and he's not.
    (http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/10/t...mcarthur-talk/)

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    Sooo... you think they should fire Ruby, because he didn't introduce the phone you like?

Wow. You're a harsh, harsh man.

What has he done to deserve being axed? Their announcement yesterday was very well received by blogs, tech journalists and the public.

The amount of twisted panties in these forums is entirely something else.
    [twitter]_____[blog]______[im]__
    For now: Nexus One | iPad 2
    When avail. in Aus: Pre3 16GB | Touchpad 16GB

This is a forum for WebOS enthusiasts. It is not a place for negative rants about Palm, HP or WebOS.
    Criticism is important but so is a positive environment. Remember, we're here because we love WebOS.
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Yeah, I'm with you. I truly believe the man has vision despite the failings of webOS. There was a time when I thought Ruby needed to go but that's because incredibly poor decisions were made on his watch. I think he's right where he belongs right now -- concentrating on making and shipping products while letting people with experience running a company handle the overarching decisions.
    Remember too that its easy for us to judge what a company should and should not do, while they actually see what the company CAN do. The biggest issue with Palm (prior to HP) in my opinion has been communication. Yet remember there is a duty to the shareholders, so I'm certain Palm was in far worse shape than they let on. That explains the broken promises (as the business faltered, they could not meet those promises) and why they couldn't be honest the reasons (had they told everyone the business was running out of money, stock prices would have plummetting, killing the shareholders). I think Ruby did the best he could in an tough role and ultimately saved the company by having it still viable when HP bought Palm.

Now, HP on the other hand has some some remarkable things that I do not agree with. Leo on his "tour" talking about how devices need to be ready to ship when an announcement is made and the 2.0 rollout on older devices. Leo had to have known that the new devices would not be ready immediately or even weeks, yet he talked about how HP was going to be ready quickly after an announcement. To me, this is a huge gaffe.

The 2.0 backstep is another tough hit, especially for Sprint users, but somewhat understandable, considering some of the recent articles on deployment issues. That doesn't make me feel better about it, just understand the logic a little more.

So I think John should be OK, Leo, on the other hand......

Palm m100 => Palm IIIx => Palm Zire 72 => Cingular Treo 650 => Sprint Palm 700p (w/755 ROM) => Sprint Palm 755p => Sprint Palm Centro => Sprint Palm Pre => Sprint FrankenPre Plus => Franken Palm Pre 2 on Sprint w/ working Nav and Sprint TV!

Family lines: Wife => Palm Centro Daughter => Palm Pixi

Living the Palm brand since 1999....and that's gotten me this!?
    RIP Palm OS and WebOS
    Quote Originally Posted by bennish View Post
    Sooo... you think they should fire Ruby, because he didn't introduce the phone you like?

Wow. You're a harsh, harsh man.

What has he done to deserve being axed? Their announcement yesterday was very well received by blogs, tech journalists and the public.

The amount of twisted panties in these forums is entirely something else.
    Who's that directed too?

Not for that reason.
    I think they could get a better guy and Ruby is not the end all be all.

In fact I think quite the oposite, I think he's created a lot of the problems. I would love to know what decisions he's made and the outcomes but I dont know that stuff.

Quotes like that are ok if you can do it. From what I have seen and experienced, he can't.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    For a man that doesn't know what his competition is, I wouldn't see letting Jon go as a bad idea.

Engadget: you've never used an iPad?

Jon: I've held one.

Engadget: C'mon. Really?

Jon: Look, your guys' job is to look at everyone's experience and compare them -- my job is to create new experiences, and I don't know how to do that if I'm being impacted and influenced by what other people are doing.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    For a man that doesn't know what his competition is, I wouldn't see letting Jon go as a bad idea.
    And yet he has helped come out with 3.0 for tabs.. Personally I think he's right .. He has the "lackies" do all that, and than looks at it from a Fresh perspective

Quote Originally Posted by Ruby
    Jon: I read about it on Engadget and I see the videos. I've been doing this for a really long time. We have a UI team that looks at all these products, a competitive analysis team that looks at these products. I want a fresh look at everything we make, and I don't want it to be influenced by what anyone else is doing. So I don't use the other stuff. This didn't start off as a religious thing -- when the iPhone came out, I was getting the Centro out the door and I was testing it 24 hours a day. It got turned into a religious thing but the reality is that if I'm going to spend my time I want to spend it on our devices and on our experiences and thinking about how we make them even better.
    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    I think everyone can learn from Ruby, he's not a follower , fearless, cool under pressure and dreams and thinks big.
    okay...

same thing with todd, and leo. Actually get rid of the whole company, and let webos internals run it...
    (yes that was sarcasm)
    I think Jon is a great guy and a great innovator, but I think his vision and mentality clashes with many.
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    "Oh you guys - I was just playing with ya...John here, and be sure I'll be back in the seat tomorrow pushing our webOS dreams into the "beyond" zone. And whenever we decide its time to come back to reality, we'll let you know. Oh, missing my train - see ya!...Steve, Steve, wait up, did you see what we did over there today? Big, Small, Beyond - it was Awesome!..."
    The guy to fire is the one that promised "in weeks". He's the CEO.