Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Okay, I'm puzzled, I don't get it...

HP is a megacompany with billions in profit and billions to spend launching whatever it wants...

It introduces 3 new WebOS products - but technically only ONE - the Touchpad - is totally new. In the sense that any new iPad tablet competitor can be called 'new'.

The other two are reboots of the existing Pre form factor. Either you like them (I do) - or you don't - but it's not a radical reinvention of the wheel. They almost seem like new versions of what the original Pre should have been....something Palm never fully delivered on....and now HP has got it right.

BUT --- this seems like multiple different marketing approaches - for totally different products.

One product - the Touchpad - is clearly designed to win new customers. HP wants to attract iPad buyers. HP wants to be 'cool' again (not that it ever was). HP wants to be 'now' - to be 'happening' -

But HP also wants to sell its corporate customers on the virtues of having a tablet which can easily communicate with many other HP devices. Sorry, that's not 'cool'. Maybe people in the IT Dept - and corporate buyers - like the sound of this - but MOST OF US (individual users) don't have large amounts of hardware to 'integrate' our new devices with.

So which is it? Cool? Or Corporate efficiency?

If you're going after "cool" - you're going after NEW BUYERS. Hip cool younger gen people who like the latest - the coolest - who will flock to something really cool.

If you're going after Corporate - hell, you're going after the RIM/Blackberry crowd. No one will ever accuse Blackberry users of being 'cool'. And most Blackberry users privately or publicly admit that they'd rather have an iPhone or an Android smartphone for their 'personal' device.

So WHICH IS IT?

Which brings us - PRE Users (most of us) - to the really important question.....

Does HP want to sell us new PRE Smartphones? Or does HP want to sell us Touchpads?

Does HP care about selling anything to the large/existing community of PRE users at all?

Because - correct me if I'm wrong - MOST PRE users are on Sprint. In fact - far and away the MAJORITY of Pre users are on Sprint. In terms of overall sales figures, I'm guessing Sprint sold (has sold) at least 10 times as many PRE's as Verizon and AT&T put together....

So you'd think that if HP wanted to sell us more new PRE's - either the Pre3 or the Veer - the simplest, easiest, quickest and best way to do it - would be to launch a major publicity/marketing campaign with Sprint itself? A campaign designed not only to get existing Pre users (far and away the majority of the user community) to reup - but also to add new users?

And clearly HP has the $$$ to pour whatever amounts of money it chooses - into whatever campaign/marketing it wants - and it also has the clout to sit down with ANY carrier...and make a deal.

So why haven't they done it? Aren't they interested in....selling more (newer Gen) Pre's to....the existing (and rabidly faithful) user community?

HP isn't stupid. They've got to know the same thing that the WSJ (Wall Street Journal) and the NYT (NewYorkTimes) - and every other smart tech/economic analyst in the country knows - namely that neither Verizon nor AT&T are interested in pushing/selling HP (formerly Palm) products. Verizon's made a bundle pushing Android phones - and is currently breaking sales records with its new iPhones. Does anyone at HP seriously think for 2 seconds that Verizon wants to 'push' a HP/Palm phone? Ditto for AT&T - a carrier which has made a fortune selling iPhones - and regardless of the competiton from Verizon, is determined to continue doing so. If anything, AT&T wants to jump on the Android bandwagon - as some of their recent releases (and marketing campaigns) indicate. So - why in God's name would anyone at HP think that either of those two carriers....wants to sell HP-branded smartphones?

Sprint makes more sense for many reasons. It's smaller - and therefore more vulnerable to pressure (financial deals) from a deep-pocketed mega corp like HP. Sure, Sprint got burned because of the large number of returned/failed Pre's. And, sure, Sprint is making a bundle right now off of its fairly cool super Android phone. But Sprint also has a fairly substantial group of Pre user/owners - and unless the people who run Sprint have their heads in the sand, some of them have got to want to make the Pre users happy....with a cooler (for us Pre users anyway) and long overdue new model.

So - why haven't HP & Sprint gotten into bed together?

And for that matter - since T-Mobile is even smaller - and tries harder - and arguable might be willing to invest serious amounts of marketing muscle behind a (for T-Mobile anyway) interesting/cool new Smartphone - why wouldn't HP sit down with the T-Mobile dudes and open their wallet....and put some money into making a deal with them?

I've got to conclude that....the reasons for all of this....are depressingly simple.

HP wants to sell Touchpads to potential iPad buyers.

Period.

If they wanted to sell more smartphones - and more Pre's - they would have already made a serious deal with at least one carrier....and with a carrier who has some (financial) reason - to push a new product.

Confession: I'm a Sprint user. On an original Pre (Pre Minus as some say). Which I love. And I'm irritated at Sprint for not (so far - or publicly) getting on the Pre3/Veer bandwagon.

But I'm even more irritated at HP - because HP has the muscle - the clout - and the deep pockets - to push Pre3/Veer phones with ANY carrier it chooses - on its terms. The fact that it hasn't yet....is troubling to me.

Miguel

Miguel Tejada-Flores
    Somewhere in Oregon
    and occasionally Guadalajara
    FrankenPre PRE 2 on Sprint (in USA)
    Original PRE on Telcel (en Mexico)
    Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose!
    I think they want new customers, obviously. And I think they will get them if they market right. As far as us existing customers, announcing 2.0 for us might have been jumping the gun since it wasnt really complete at the time. Once they started adding and adding and adding to 2.x, it started being too much for old phones. And Im sure they did tests. Now that everyone thinks they screwed us, they need to do something to make us happy. Hopefully that means getting us up to date. Wether it be discounts on new devices or somehow getting 2.0 to us. The new products themselves are awesome. I dont know why so many complain. I dont know what they plan on doing for Sprint customers. Im sure the Pre 3 will be available on Sprint.
    With the way Sprint is pushing 4G I can't see where they'll want the Pre3 unless maybe it's heavily discounted and they can sell it cheap. IOW, not a flagship device. Honestly, I don't see any carrier being particularly interested in the Pre3 though for different reasons that you pointed out.
    I don't know at this point. They clearly don't care about alienating existing customers. At the same time, how are they going to attract new customers? With the same old "it doesn't run the apps you want but it has true multitasking and synergy!" proposition?
    It's both. The idea of WebOS is to replace the need to have a iPhone and a BlackBerry like ppl use to. Now most people only have the iPhone. But HP still is going with that idea -- you don't need to suffer for business just to have your personal experience. Hopefully they do better this time around then they did before.
    I thought the strategy was for new customers. If they were trying to keep the faithful around they would have at least updated all (now legacy) devices to 2.x before orphaning them. Hopefully Ruby will get us discounts towards our next webOS phones for those of us that have remained faithful (and maybe more).

My Themes:CLICK HERE
    Why would they want the WebOS faithful. Not enough of us.

Probably didn't want to **** us off though.
    The problem with that is the iPhone is a perfectly good business phone to the point where it's not a second option anymore. I just read something about how pleased Deutsche Bank is with their migration from the BlackBerry to the iPhone.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Wish it weren't so. Would have like 2.x on my launch day Pre. Can live with HP/Palm's decision. Don't like it but so what?

I will still buy a Pre 3 and a TouchPad and love them. Don't want the iOS or Android devices.