Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I attended the developer event last night and to make a long story short, left very disappointed (and early).

The atmosphere was desperation and they tried playing with our emotions. Essentially, they portrayed a scenario that webOS wouldn't succeed without us (the developers); this came directly from Rubinstein.

They're trying to make webOS sound appealing to developers by claiming that webOS will be available on hundreds of millions devices, as they're going to soon be pushing webOS to PC's (and then they showed a little slide indicating that during the last 60 seconds HP had shipped over 120 PCs). My personal belief on this is, webOS needs to be successful on their mobile devices before it will ever be successful on the PC.

The actual developer presentation was VERY short, only 30 minutes and not much explained or show-cased which indicated something to me: it's not very far along. The one example he did try showing, which was of a map widget, he began to scroll but quickly stopped as it was VERY laggy; I noticed it and I'm sure many others did too, even though it was very quick.

They admitted to that the new framework was only in alpha stage, which makes sense and why the new devices probably aren't coming for months: software.

I've been trying to tell everyone here that for a while now, but everyone was almost positive that it was ready to ship. THERE'S NOT EVEN A PUBLIC SDK AVAILABLE YET, how could it be close?

The Veer and Pre 3 actually look and feel nice, albeit still a bit slow (for me anyways, but I'm spoiled by the quickness of other devices so my standards are high). The TouchPad looks and feels cheap, almost as if it was designed by Fisher-Price.

Any questions, let me know. I stuck around for about an hour and talked to a few people.
    Where are the apps for 2.x and later going to come from if a lot of devs (which was a small amount to begin with) said adios to webOS yesterday? I know nothing about developing apps but this sounds like a major disaster for the app catalog for webOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    The atmosphere was desperation and they tried playing with our emotions.
    Desperation sounds about right. I just had a long conversation with a friend of mine at HP and they realize they blew it. The funny thing is they actually thought they were going to knock it out of the park before they ended up putting on pretty much the most deflating and disastrous reboot event possible.

The feeling I got from the conversation is someone is going to hit the panic button pretty soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Desperation sounds about right. I just had a long conversation with a friend of mine at HP and they realize they blew it. The funny thing is they actually thought they were going to knock it out of the park before they ended up putting on pretty much the most deflating and disastrous reboot event possible.

The feeling I got from the conversation is someone is going to hit the panic button pretty soon.
    Can you tell us anything more? I'm really curious to know if they intended all along to drop the lack-of-2.0-upgrade bombshell on us all along or if that was an ooops?
    February 9, 2011 - A case study in how not to introduce new products.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullroarer Took View Post
    Can you tell us anything more? I'm really curious to know if they intended all along to drop the lack-of-2.0-upgrade bombshell on us all along or if that was an ooops?
    My guess is no; they intended to push 2.0 to all devices but if I had to guess they realized it's not worth the time and effort to do almost a complete rewrite of webOS.

The truth is, webOS isn't optimized, at all. And to those of you that don't understand that take a quick look at the first Pre to the last iPhone. Internally, they're comparable but one runs like ****.

Even the demos I saw last night, webOS still seems a bit sluggish; it was faster, that's for sure but still nowhere near the fluidity and smoothness we see on iOS and Android.

Now we have this (very large) issue regarding developers and 2.x/3.x regarding the new Enyo framework. They're kind of stuck trying to understand if they should continue to develop and support their Mojo apps or leave Mojo and focus on Enyo. Apparently, HP doesn't have answers for this as they're unsure themselves.

I'm honestly afraid we're experiencing deja vu. Initially, Palm pushed webOS out the door long before it was ready. It seems we're seeing that again with 2.x/3.x. Hardware is ready to roll, it's just the software that's holding them back.
    I didn't get many details (I'm not sure if they even knew any more details) but I was told the 2.0 thing was either a distribution or logistics decision. No idea how long they've known for, unfortunately.
    It's like you're invited to a wealthy kids big Birthday party except when you show up, it isn't much of a party. No cake or ice cream, just people with sample trays of Bon-Bons being occasionally offered. No cool kids showed up or entertainment because the parents are hoping those of you who showed up will provide that.

And the Birthday Kid is unwrapping his gifts in front of you which you can't really touch for 6-months.

And one of the parents whisper in your ear about that gift card they gave you last year will no longer work anymore.
    The funny thing is, there actually was cake for the employees yesterday.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3576538/cupcake.png
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    Did they put Ruby's face in the cake?

You know... FacePalm...

Oh boy.
    They should have watched more apple press conferences before they planned theirs. I mean they showed stuff, and their "one more thing" didnt even show, was just talked about for a few seconds.
    Really, 70% of the complaints would be gone if HP had done ONE thing: announced that the devices were going on sale in two weeks (like their CEO promised).
    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    Really, 70% of the complaints would be gone if HP had done ONE thing: announced that the devices were going on sale in two weeks (like their CEO promised).
    With the current state of 2.0 and the lack of 2.x apps and patches? The complaints might have doubled.

I mean, of course I would rather they take their time to get it right. But why does it take so. flipping. long to finish and tune this OS to hardware? It was never done to completion with WebOS 1.x and the original Pre. Now it'll take the exact same amount of time for the new generation of devices, and with carrier customization and agreements, this could go even longer.

What happened to HP scale, leverage, and engineering power?
    Wow, that cupcake was the only Palm Logo in sight!
    I attended the developer event last night and to make a long story short, left very disappointed (and early).
    I'm just curious why you bothered. You've been saying for maybe 6 months to a year that you no longer have any intent to develop on webOS, seems like a waste of time to go in the first place (as does the amount of time you spend on here).
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I'm just curious why you bothered. You've been saying for maybe 6 months to a year that you no longer have any intent to develop on webOS, seems like a waste of time to go in the first place (as does the amount of time you spend on here).
    I don't have any intention on further developing for webOS until drastic changes/improvements are made. I lurk here because I like the potential that webOS has, but that's about as far as it goes. I also visit here to remain current.

I attended the event last night because it was local, free, a place to connect with other people in my field, possibly learn a thing or two (which I didn't) and demo the new devices. Also, there was an open bar and free food.

Would you like to know anything else? I also wear size medium in a polo shirt and my favorite pizza is chicken pineapple.
    I think HP never imagined how hard managing its own OS would be as difficult as it is. Since they have only been slapping OS's on devices, never optimizing a OS, then building a device for it. As stated all previous version of webos is still very beta, and to me optimizing it would have taken some time. Though to me with HP's power at the very least webos 2.0 2.1 whichever should have been optimized by now. They should of have had a mobile version optimized ready to go at the show, announced a update for all older devices then, and announced the Pre3, and Veer for carriers with prices by early march. So even though Im disappointed with these things, with most options ive tried myself Android, BB etc I have option but to wait and see whats to come unless for me atleast WP7 releases a product on sprint before hand. I wrote a email to HP exects yesterday and got a reply last night stating they are aware of the complaints (as posted by precentral) and will be trying to resolve these issues. My thing is these were clear cut issues, and now are really only excuses smh the waiting game is on again.
    Would you like to know anything else? I also wear size medium in a polo shirt and my favorite pizza is chicken pineapple.
    Your favorite pizza is chicken pineapple?!? Seriously?
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    Your favorite pizza is chicken pineapple?!? Seriously?
    Actually, to be exact, it's bbq chicken & pineapple with diced tomatoes.
    straight fresh tomato and delicious cheese for me.
    Hey Bark..., what made you say the TouchPad felt like a fisher price toy? I thought it looked the same as the ipad, from the other press reports.
    Global Posts
    367 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    I think HP never imagined how hard managing its own OS would be as difficult as it is. Since they have only been slapping OS's on devices, never optimizing a OS, then building a device for it.
    Yes, Yes they do have experience with it. HP-UX. Obviously that group wasn't consulted at all. They have lots of experience optimizing things. Something the WebOS team could use a bit of help with.
Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast