Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789
Results 161 to 177 of 177
  1. #161  
    Quote Originally Posted by tha2nddunn View Post
    clearly i had like 7-8 issues you just focused on 1, which you were correct about, but i'm just reclarifying that the fragmentation between mojo and enyo sucks for existing apps
    I suggest you go back and reread my initial response. You dismissed all of them as "my opinion" (which was correct); however, I pointed out this one is a factual issue. Of course, once you learned that your "facts" were in error, you changed the issue.

    New hardware capabilities, most notably the TouchPad, required that they change their tools. That happens. Yeah, it's no fun, but developers learn to work around it.
  2. #162  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I suggest you go back and reread my initial response. You dismissed all of them as "my opinion" (which was correct); however, I pointed out this one is a factual issue. Of course, once you learned that your "facts" were in error, you changed the issue.

    New hardware capabilities, most notably the TouchPad, required that they change their tools. That happens. Yeah, it's no fun, but developers learn to work around it.
    they weren't all opinion just like half, but, I have no problem with Enyo, however, I have a problem with them not publicly releasing it when new devices are supposed to be out this summer, its clear from public demonstrations that Enyo is delaying the new hardware, they should have released an alpha Enyo SDK to "qualified developers" and continued on with Mojo and released these devices in January, with even newer devices running Enyo this summer...but obviously someone in charge thought it would be a good idea to wait to release the Touchpad and Pre3 with Enyo after the Honeycomb Tablets and Ipad2 and Moto Atrix, HTC inspire, and possibly Iphone 5
  3. #163  
    Quote Originally Posted by tha2nddunn View Post
    yea WebOS is currently dead
    No, actually it's not. As in your other example, that you were equally sure about, this is simply factually wrong.
    New applications are coming out daily for WebOS devices, new tools are being added by HP, and new versions are in the works.

    In short, all of the evidence is just the opposite of it being "dead".

    Except your opinion, of course.

    Quote Originally Posted by tha2nddunn View Post
    but WebOS on PC's and Notebooks has not even reached "in the coming months" yet which equals something like 6-8 months, so probably earliest late 2012...
    Again, factually incorrect. HP's CEO said every computer shipped in 2012. That would me it early 2012. At the latest.
  4. #164  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    No, actually it's not. As in your other example, that you were equally sure about, this is simply factually wrong.
    New applications are coming out daily for WebOS devices, new tools are being added by HP, and new versions are in the works.

    In short, all of the evidence is just the opposite of it being "dead".

    Except your opinion, of course.


    Again, factually incorrect. HP's CEO said every computer shipped in 2012. That would me it early 2012. At the latest.
    really??? didnt Apotheker also say new devices would be shipped 2 weeks after the think beyond event, didnt HP also say all legacy devices would be upgraded to 2.0...really??? new "useful" apps coming out all the time...lol talk to some developers and ask them about their recent DL numbers, WebOS is currently dead...and I love WebOS I'm just telling it how it is in response to the original poster


    oh and those DL numbers from Precentral are far from accurate
  5. #165  
    Quote Originally Posted by tha2nddunn View Post
    yea WebOS is currently dead...I'm not saying it cant be revived, but WebOS on PC's and Notebooks has not even reached "in the coming months" yet which equals something like 6-8 months, so probably earliest late 2012...but oh wait, by the time they release WebOS on PC's Apple, Microsoft, Google, and Rim would have already done it as well, it's not a new concept, HP/Palm has no patents for it...I don't know why everyone's acting like this is something new, and it's obvious that all of the major companies are gearing towards an integrated ecosystem of devices now that Apple, Microsoft, and Google all have Desktop OS', Tablets, and Smart Phones
    Actually, I believe at the CEO said all PC's will ship with it in 2012. That means they will start doing it this year, probably starting on models they feel are best to begin with. As far as the concept, this is the first time anyone has seen a phone to tablet to PC, end-to-end solution for apps. During the conference one of the speakers noted that the email app was actually be used by a lot of people in-house, replacing Outlook. Now they have one email app from that works on any of the systems they might use. Where else is that currently present?

    This is a bigger deal than your post makes it seem. HP/Palm still need to execute, but that's the same with any company.
  6. #166  
    Quote Originally Posted by falconrap View Post
    Actually, I believe at the CEO said all PC's will ship with it in 2012. That means they will start doing it this year, probably starting on models they feel are best to begin with. As far as the concept, this is the first time anyone has seen a phone to tablet to PC, end-to-end solution for apps. During the conference one of the speakers noted that the email app was actually be used by a lot of people in-house, replacing Outlook. Now they have one email app from that works on any of the systems they might use. Where else is that currently present?

    This is a bigger deal than your post makes it seem. HP/Palm still need to execute, but that's the same with any company.
    no no...this may be the first time it has been introduced to the public, but there's patents on this type of stuff dating back to like 2002, maybe if HP has an integral patent that can protect an aspect of the concept they can be successful
  7. #167  
    Quote Originally Posted by tha2nddunn View Post
    really??? didnt Apotheker also say new devices would be shipped 2 weeks after the think beyond event,
    No, actually that wasn't what he said. I can understand someone drawing that inference, but that was not what he said.
    Quote Originally Posted by tha2nddunn View Post
    didnt HP also say all legacy devices would be upgraded to 2.0...really???
    Again, not really, but closer this time. What they said was that they were committed to bringing 2.x to legacy devices. That changed.
    Quote Originally Posted by tha2nddunn View Post
    new "useful" apps coming out all the time...lol talk to some developers and ask them about their recent DL numbers, WebOS is currently dead...and I love WebOS I'm just telling it how it is in response to the original poster
    Maybe the developers you know aren't doing very well, others seem to be interested enough to keep at it. But, even if all of the developers you know have quit, that doesn't make WebOS dead.

    Quote Originally Posted by tha2nddunn View Post
    oh and those DL numbers from Precentral are far from accurate
    Of course they are. They must be. You said so. Other than that though, what do you base that on?
  8. #168  
    Quote Originally Posted by tha2nddunn View Post
    no no...this may be the first time it has been introduced to the public, but there's patents on this type of stuff dating back to like 2002, maybe if HP has an integral patent that can protect an aspect of the concept they can be successful
    Patents on an email client? Really, I've never heard of that before. Do you have a reference for that?
  9. #169  
    why should HP bother protecting mobile-to-pc concept?
  10. #170  
    The more I think about it, the more I'm not as frustrated by the February event and lack of quick release of hardware. I fully understand everybody's reasons for being frustrated and I wouldn't dispute any of those from consumers and especially developers.

    HP was in a pickle. Late last year they obviously were aware they weren't even close to being ready. Yeah the hardware specs and design were completed but the software reboot was far from complete and that's the issue. They had to go back and rethink the development tools across multiple platforms. Mojo just wasn't efficient enough to do that. They made a tough decision(although correct) and bungled the delivery of that message.

    HP could have stayed silent all this time frustrating webOS fans and developers. They needed to show something because another 6 months of rumors and no delivered concept of the future would be more devastating than "coming this summer" release dates. This isn't a defense of how they handled everything but more of a realization that what they are tying to do is much larger in scope than what was previously there just with Palm. It will and has been bumpy but they have always maintained they were in a marathon and not a sprint. It will be very tough for them to get developers to buy into this.
  11. #171  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Patents on an email client? Really, I've never heard of that before. Do you have a reference for that?
    I never said a patent on an email client, I was taking about a patent for running the same app across multiple devices, like a pda, tablet, and desktop...i could look it up if I wanted, but that's what I do for a living and it's not important
  12. #172  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    No, actually that wasn't what he said. I can understand someone drawing that inference, but that was not what he said.

    Again, not really, but closer this time. What they said was that they were committed to bringing 2.x to legacy devices. That changed.

    Maybe the developers you know aren't doing very well, others seem to be interested enough to keep at it. But, even if all of the developers you know have quit, that doesn't make WebOS dead.


    Of course they are. They must be. You said so. Other than that though, what do you base that on?
    keep on selectively listening to what you want to hear, ask anyone outside of a webos user if webos is dead and they'll say yes...yea developers a few developers are releasing apps, they might as well, some were holding apps until 2.0 was released, but webos developers aren't making real money off their apps, their doing it because they like webos...and the PC dl numbers are incorrect because they count updates as DL's...how do I know, i'm a developer
  13. #173  
    Quote Originally Posted by tha2nddunn View Post
    keep on selectively listening to what you want to hear, ask anyone outside of a webos user if webos is dead and they'll say yes...yea developers a few developers are releasing apps, they might as well, some were holding apps until 2.0 was released, but webos developers aren't making real money off their apps, their doing it because they like webos...and the PC dl numbers are incorrect because they count updates as DL's...how do I know, i'm a developer
    So, you're a developer, and webOS is dead.
    And you're here to tell us, because why?
  14. #174  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    No, actually that wasn't what he said. I can understand someone drawing that inference, but that was not what he said.
    Not quite what he said, but certainly an accurate description of what he said:
    Quote Originally Posted by Apotheker to BBC News
    And gone will be the days when HP announces a product to great fanfare, and then nothing happens because the product will not hit the shelves until many months later when the buzz is forgotten and the technology ever so slightly-out-of-date.

    "HP will stop making announcements for stuff it doesn't have. When HP makes announcements, it will be getting ready to ship," he promises, saying the products launched on 9 February will be on sale just a few weeks later.
  15. #175  
    they shipped all three products on feb 10th... When they shipped the demo units to Barcelona. Mostly kidding, but I think that they are ready to ship the Ever now, and the Pre3/Veer will be ready in april/may.

    unfortunately, having hardware arriving from the factory isn't enough unless they have carriers planning to launch them. I think Leo's handlers need to explain that shipping a new SAP release isn't the same as launching a new phone with a carrier.
  16. #176  
    Quote Originally Posted by tha2nddunn View Post
    keep on selectively listening to what you want to hear, ask anyone outside of a webos user if webos is dead and they'll say yes...
    You say I'm "selectively listening", but then you tell me a select group to ask. Sorry, it doesn't work that way. And you're absolutely dead wrong about "anyone outside of a webos user" saying it's dead. I have a few friends that don't use WebOS, and are still pretty excited about what's coming. The problem with an all inclusive statement like yours is that it only takes one exception to disprove the rule. Would you like one?

    I don't doubt that it's "dead" among the developers you hang with. However, for whatever reason, you're returning, wonder why that is.

    I regularly stand amazed on this forum at the number of evangelists that want to proclaim what we have is "dead", and that we need to do something else.

    I'm also a bit leery of your "i'm a developer" credentials in light of the whole emulator claims. Would you like the developer videos that talk about that?

    Claiming that developers aren't making money, and are only doing it because they "like webos" doesn't really support your claim (developer or not) that it's dead. As a matter of fact, it does just the opposite.
  17. #177  
    I would hope that most understand that making exaggerated claims and saying they represent a whole community is just wrong.
    Not because it's said about webOS, but anything like that just shuts down any possible reasonable discussion.

    Yes, I know.... <<closed>>

    But come on guys. What are you trying to win, a debate?
    This is a discussion board, you don't win by trying to beat the other guy with words of wit.

    Please, Please, Please,... try and "Discuss" not "Debate".
    We all can benefit from a discussion - not a debate where we are trying to win at our argument.
    Just call me Berd.
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789

Posting Permissions