Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    So, apparently either the friend failed to talk to Apotheker, or HP has moved at relatively lightening speed (for such a large company) to get the non-existent plans into place.
    There's at least one more possibility: 3. Apotheker still hasn't wrested control of the reigns yet at HP and continues to make statements like his now famous "When HP makes announcements, it will be getting ready to ship" statement (only 2 weeks before the 9 Feb announcement) while reality in the trenches remains significantly different.

I'm sure there are other potential reasons for this disconnect.
    Or, maybe CGK's friend didn't really know what he was talking about. I know, I know. Many are anxious to embrace the "HP will fail no matter what, and lie no matter what, and every decision is bad no matter what" philosophy, but I suspect we're going to see WebOS on HP computers.

Of course, I'm sure the detractors will find fault with that as well.
    honestly...WebOs is dead and HP brutally killed it by:

a) Announcing avg phones with no definite release dates
    b) Holding an event with unfinished software
    c) Using a new Enyo framework that is not backwards compatible or simply convertible with the Mojo Framework (Mojo based Apps will run like an emulator)
    d) Holding an event where users could not touch the "TouchPad"
    e) Acting cocky like they actually had something to reveal "Think Again" to engadget
    f) Releasing the Pre2 (makes the company look bad)
    g) Not updating current devices to 2.0 as promised
    h) Making that stupid "everybody on" comercial

but anyway i personally love WebOS and will continue with my pre+ until my phone dies, i'm just not a ****** and I won't upgrade to any of the announced phones, i dont want a portrait keyboard is that too much to ask?

<deleted by moderator>
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 03/09/2011 at 04:12 PM. Reason: posting around language filter
    I am very disappointed in HP and webOS, was hoping to get the TouchPad but since they are lacking in lot of things I will be getting iPad2, cause I need pad for work and school. And do to the fact that Pre 3 not coming anytime soon to Sprint and will be lacking apps I am forced to move to AT&T and get iPhone 5, this is not fun for me but as I read here I now understand why HP is not announcing the hardware and the software. This totally disappoints me but I have to do what is best for me just like HP is doing what is best for them, maybe next year when HP catches up little to other platforms. But for now I am holding on to my Pre from Sprint and just waiting for the summer time when iPhone 5 comes out. This is a total bummer.
    Quote Originally Posted by tha2nddunn View Post
    honestly...WebOs is dead and HP brutally killed it by:

a) Announcing avg phones with no definite release dates
    b) Holding an event with unfinished software
    c) Using a new Enyo framework that is not backwards compatible or simply convertible with the Mojo Framework (Mojo based Apps will run like an emulator)
    d) Holding an event where users could not touch the "TouchPad"
    e) Acting cocky like they actually had something to reveal "Think Again" to engadget
    f) Releasing the Pre2 (makes the company look bad)
    g) Not updating current devices to 2.0 as promised
    h) Making that stupid "everybody on" comercial

but anyway i personally love WebOS and will continue with my pre+ until my phone dies, i'm just not a ****** and I won't upgrade to any of the announced phones, i dont want a portrait keyboard is that too much to ask?

<deleted by moderator>
    Most of what you've "honestly" stated is just opinion; however c) is simply incorrect. Mojo apps will run in native mode, not emulated.

Of course, if your predictions are all all true, none of that will matter, just as the update wouldn't, since WebOS is "dead" anyway.
    Most of what you've "honestly" stated is just opinion; however c) is simply incorrect. Mojo apps will run in native mode, not emulated.

Of course, if your predictions are all all true, none of that will matter, just as the update wouldn't, since WebOS is "dead" anyway.
    sorry the touchpad will emulate mojo....sorry...and of course it's opinion, just like most everything you say
    webOS dead? I don't think so.

I think people here underestimate what it will mean when webOS starts hitting PC's (surely in some kind of add-on to Windows like Java or some sandboxed Webkit browser program). It means developers of mobile apps can target their apps at both mobile devices and large screen devices, including the 60 million PC's/laptops that HP sells every year. Having access to the common Windows market as an added bonus to continue developing mobile apps is not something to underestimate. The biggest issue for HP right now is the combination of Enyo not being fully ready, and webOS not yet on HP machines.

Once those two things change, I think you will see a much more vibrant webOS app catalog.
    sorry the touchpad will emulate mojo....sorry...and of course it's opinion, just like most everything you say
    Well, possibly you know more about it than HP, but they've stated a number of times that it will run native mojo apps, no emulator.
    ^it emulates the gesture controls XD

Quote Originally Posted by falconrap View Post

I think people here underestimate what it will mean when webOS starts hitting PC's (surely in some kind of add-on to Windows like Java or some sandboxed Webkit browser program). It means developers of mobile apps can target their apps at both mobile devices and large screen devices, including the 60 million PC's/laptops that HP sells every year. Having access to the common Windows market as an added bonus to continue developing mobile apps is not something to underestimate. The biggest issue for HP right now is the combination of Enyo not being fully ready, and webOS not yet on HP machines.

Once those two things change, I think you will see a much more vibrant webOS app catalog.
    Who wants to buy web apps on their computer when more capable free PC apps are available? Touching WebOS with a mouse just doesn't sound compelling. People might just disregard it as more bloatware.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post
    Who wants to buy web apps on their computer when more capable free PC apps are available? Touching WebOS with a mouse just doesn't sound compelling. People might just disregard it as more bloatware.
    Ask Google why they plan on doing the same sort of thing with Chrome?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    hparsons, I'm not finding anything but emulation...
    http://m.precentral.net/webos-develo...ojo-start-enyo
    Mojo Apps will work on webOS 1.4.5, webOS 2.x, and webOS 3 natively.
    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    If you type PreCentral on a TouchPad
    It changes to PreMenstrual
    That situation needs to be fixed!
    Because your limiting your view of how things will happen. If you don't already have certain apps for the PC, and you find you can get a much cheaper webOS version that will run just fine on it, available through, I'm sure, an HP App Catalog icon on the desktop, then it may be compelling. Depends on the application. It will be even more compelling if you have a phone and tablet that can all use the same app.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post

hparsons, I'm not finding anything but emulation...
    There is nothing complicated about supporting Mojo and/or Enyo. In order for an application to use the Mojo framework, it just needs to be told that it is available by a link to the Mojo directory. The same goes for the Enyo framework. So, if both frameworks are present, both Mojo and Enyo applications can be executed.
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    man, people are just not getting it. Webos will be about the ECOSYSTEM!! u buy one app and it will run on phone tablet or pc. on your desktop u will have your profile to log onto.
    you will no longer need outlook on your pc since your email from the webos app. and the cal app.
    if you get data vitz you will be able to do all of your editing right there and have it on the go instantly. not just for home stuff, but for business too.
    for business it is a huge expense to have one system set up here and a different one there. with webos everyone gets wat they need instantly, on the go or on the pc, and even macs if they choose to (you can run all enyo apps on chrome or safari)
    so you can be connected everywhere and all times! of course webos needs to meet security measures so remote wipe and encrypted data are sure to be coming.

this can be HUGE if hp gets right. and is something HP will be ahead of apple and google for at least a generation!!
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!

it's not really about people buying 'web apps' for their PC. It's about people buying apps for their phones and tablets, that also work on their PC. It's about being able to seamlessly move between devices and viewing content in a manner that makes sense for each particular resolution.
    anyway, the real issue is an almost entire rewrite of current apps if a developer wants to incorporate new features provided by enyo, which sucks because a lot of developers thought it would be an advantage in the long run to develop for WebOS and try and gain support for their apps before a bunch of new developers start developing apps...but who knows maybe Hp will get it together, it just won't be anytime soon (although it very well could have been with better management decisions)
    anyway, the real issue is an almost entire rewrite of current apps if a developer wants to incorporate new features provided by enyo, which sucks because a lot of developers thought it would be an advantage in the long run to develop for WebOS and try and gain support for their apps before a bunch of new developers start developing apps...but who knows maybe Hp will get it together, it just won't be anytime soon (although it very well could have been with better management decisions)
    Wait a minute, I thought you said the issue was that Mojo apps required emulation. Now it's suddenly shifted to if developers want to use new features (that weren't available when they wrote the app) then they have to rewrite it. If that was the "real" issue, then why play around with the "unreal" false issue?
    Wait a minute, I thought you said the issue was that Mojo apps required emulation. Now it's suddenly shifted to if developers want to use new features (that weren't available when they wrote the app) then they have to rewrite it. If that was the "real" issue, then why play around with the "unreal" false issue?
    clearly i had like 7-8 issues you just focused on 1, which you were correct about, but i'm just reclarifying that the fragmentation between mojo and enyo sucks for existing apps
    Quote Originally Posted by falconrap View Post

yea WebOS is currently dead...I'm not saying it cant be revived, but WebOS on PC's and Notebooks has not even reached "in the coming months" yet which equals something like 6-8 months, so probably earliest late 2012...but oh wait, by the time they release WebOS on PC's Apple, Microsoft, Google, and Rim would have already done it as well, it's not a new concept, HP/Palm has no patents for it...I don't know why everyone's acting like this is something new, and it's obvious that all of the major companies are gearing towards an integrated ecosystem of devices now that Apple, Microsoft, and Google all have Desktop OS', Tablets, and Smart Phones
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast