Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
Results 121 to 140 of 177
  1. #121  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    they didn't let people hold them, and resisted most attempts to touch the display...
    And the plot thickens...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    But, the glossy black finish really annoys me. Matte finishes are the only thing they should consider for anything that is gonna be covered with fingerprints. The first thing I will do is get a matte skin for it, just like I did for my netbook.

    shiny black looks good in advertising, but it is a mess when used in real life.
    This I agree with. Obviously, I haven't seen this yet, but I never liked the back of the standard back of the Pre, the TS back was the way to go, and prefer the front "skinned" because I don't like fingerprints. I suspect if I get one, the face will be skinned and the device will be in a case.

    That said, plastic doesn't automatically mean cheap or toy-like.
  2. #122  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    I've just been at a social event with a friend of mine who works for hp (just on the train on the way back so excuse typos) - he says that the statement that it will be shipping on millions of pc was literally just thrown in there to drum up interest and absolutely nothing solid is planned. His take is that nothing is ready but there is a push to market to show there is roi.
    So judging from P|C's front page this evening, it appears the friend may be wrong.
    McKinney: webOS to be integrated with Windows on PCs | PreCentral.net | The #1 Palm Pre and Pixi Community

    Specifically:
    There’s been plenty of confusion about how exactly webOS would find its way onto desktop and laptop machines. McKinney cleared that up: this won’t be webOS running in some sort of virtualization mode: HP intends for you to be able to run apps in “an integrated webOS experience” and that you’ll be able to “develop you webOS app that’ll run on your phone, your slate, and your PC.” Sounds slick, eh?
    So, turns out my speculation was wrong, I really thought they'd do virtualized. This sounds better.

    But, it does kinda blow holes in what your friend said. Maybe he hasn't talked to HP's CTO lately.
  3. #123  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    So, turns out my speculation was wrong, I really thought they'd do virtualized. This sounds better.
    So what does McKinney's (continued vague, unexplained) description mean? webOS is going to be something you have to boot into? And then you boot back into Windows in order to get some real work done? What's the selling point about that?
  4. #124  
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    If I had to guess, it means that webOS apps will have the ability to run in your browser [as they have been since the first release of webOS]. It's revolutionary.

    At least that's my sneaking suspicion.

    1. I emphasized that I'm only guessing so that hparsons doesn't blast me.
    Why would I blast you for speculation? We all speculate, and I've often said what these companies do is usually not revolutionary, but evolutionary. However, vague or not, revolutionary or not, coming from the CTO, I'd say it still tends to contridict CKG's friend's statement (for which I was blasted (just because I chose not to comment).

    Speaking of comments, I am still waiting for an answer to your hands-on with th TouchPad.

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    If you type PreCentral on a TouchPad
    It changes to PreMenstrual
    That situation needs to be fixed!
  5.    #125  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Why would I blast you for speculation? We all speculate, and I've often said what these companies do is usually not revolutionary, but evolutionary. However, vague or not, revolutionary or not, coming from the CTO, I'd say it still tends to contridict CKG's friend's statement (for which I was blasted (just because I chose not to comment).

    Speaking of comments, I am still waiting for an answer to your hands-on with th TouchPad.

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    My hands-on was limited, but thorough enough to have an impression. I got to touch and hold it for roughly 3-5 seconds. It was short, but long enough.

    I didn't get to hold it and play with it like I did the Pre 3 and Veer, nor was I able to get a good idea of its true weight, but I honestly wasn't impressed with the way it felt, just like I wasn't impressed with the Pre before I got the touchstone back.

    Like I said in another thread on here. I will give credit where I think credit is due. I was impressed with the way the Pre 3 felt. It felt and looked solid.
  6. #126  
    3-5 seconds. You're funny. I do appreciate that you've vindicated my skepticism an your "fisher-price" comparison.

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    If you type PreCentral on a TouchPad
    It changes to PreMenstrual
    That situation needs to be fixed!
  7.    #127  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    3-5 seconds. You're funny. I do appreciate that you've vindicated my skepticism an your "fisher-price" comparison.

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    You've lost me. It's not like a piece of art in a museum where one studies for minutes on end; an impression can be made in seconds, and most consumers do.
  8. #128  
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    You've lost me. It's not like a piece of art in a museum where one studies for minutes on end; an impression can be made in seconds, and most consumers do.
    Yeah right, I "lost you". You know exactly what I'm talking about. I suspect your opening post would have sounded a lot different if instead of:

    The TouchPad looks and feels cheap, almost as if it was designed by Fisher-Price.
    you said
    In the 3-5 seconds I handled it, the TouchPad looks and feels cheap, almost as if it was designed by Fisher-Price.
    Makes one wonder, did you get "the atmosphere was desperation" after strolling through for a minute or so, then spending the rest of the time at the free open bar?

    I'll repeat. In my opinion, this was a troll-thread, from the get go. You've stated you have no intention of developing for WebOS, then come on here and post as if you're some neutral observer. You're not. You're busy on here trying to convince us all how badly HP/Palm is going to fail. Even the "gotta give me credit" praise of the Pre 3 was followed by stating that it was a "bit slow" because you're "spoiled by 'the quickness of other devices'", implying that even at their best, they're not up to your "standards".

    Face it, you've been outed. Must have been an eye opener when P|C mentioned that the TouchPad was a "look but don't touch affair".

    Frankly, I even find the 3-5 seconds claim dubious. What's that popular phrase around here that the skeptics love to throw out? Oh yeah, I remember:

    Pics or it didn't happen.
  9.    #129  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Yeah right, I "lost you". You know exactly what I'm talking about. I suspect your opening post would have sounded a lot different if instead of:


    you said


    Makes one wonder, did you get "the atmosphere was desperation" after strolling through for a minute or so, then spending the rest of the time at the free open bar?
    I'm sure you can find a video of the event somewhere online now. It was only 30 minutes so you can quickly watch and gather your own opinion, like I have.

    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I'll repeat. In my opinion, this was a troll-thread, from the get go. You've stated you have no intention of developing for WebOS, then come on here and post as if you're some neutral observer. You're not. You're busy on here trying to convince us all how badly HP/Palm is going to fail. Even the "gotta give me credit" praise of the Pre 3 was followed by stating that it was a "bit slow" because you're "spoiled by 'the quickness of other devices'", implying that even at their best, they're not up to your "standards".
    At least one of us has actually seen the device in person and had a hands-on to form an opinion. Also, between the two of us, which would you consider to be more unbiased: the one that's owned one device (assuming you've owned nothing but the Pre/Pixi recently) or the one that has owned an iPhone, Evo, Pre, G2, and an HD7?

    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Face it, you've been outed. Must have been an eye opener when P|C mentioned that the TouchPad was a "look but don't touch affair".

    Frankly, I even find the 3-5 seconds claim dubious. What's that popular phrase around here that the skeptics love to throw out? Oh yeah, I remember:

    Pics or it didn't happen.
    Outed? Okay, if you say so.

    I don't make it a purpose to come here and deface webOS, HP, Palm, or anything related. I come here because, as surprising as it may seem, this is one of the best forums on the internet (in my opinion) to debate mobile phones, even though it is device-specific. Hence why I primarily tend to stay in the Other Devices sub-forum.

    Color me what you want: biased, troll, etc.,; but don't mistaken me for someone that is here to purposely bash the platform because I don't agree with most here. If you don't like or appreciate what I have to say, feel free to skip over my posts from this point forward.
  10. #130  
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    ...At least one of us has actually seen the device in person and had a hands-on to form an opinion. Also, between the two of us, which would you consider to be more unbiased: the one that's owned one device (assuming you've owned nothing but the Pre/Pixi recently) or the one that has owned an iPhone, Evo, Pre, G2, and an HD7?
    But I've held every one of those devices in my hand at least 3-5 seconds. Didn't someone recently say "an impression can be made in seconds, and most consumers do."

  11. #131  
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    ...Color me what you want: biased, troll, etc.,; but don't mistaken me for someone that is here to purposely bash the platform because I don't agree with most here. If you don't like or appreciate what I have to say, feel free to skip over my posts from this point forward.
    While I don't much care for them, instead of skipping over them and leaving them unchallenged, I much prefer point out the inconsistencies and obvious bias.
  12.    #132  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    While I don't much care for them, instead of skipping over them and leaving them unchallenged, I much prefer point out the inconsistencies and obvious bias.
    If you want to further debate webOS and/or the new devices announced, I'll be happy to, but I'm not going to continue to argue my credibility or my apparent-bias with you.

    You've derailed enough threads already with trying to point out 'flaws' and biased-ness in your evangelistic efforts to boost your HP stock or something.
  13. #133  
    *pops popcorn and grabs the best seat *

    Sent from my eVo
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
  14. #134  
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    If you want to further debate webOS and/or the new devices announced, I'll be happy to, but I'm not going to continue to argue my credibility or my apparent-bias with you.

    You've derailed enough threads already with trying to point out 'flaws' and biased-ness in your evangelistic efforts to boost your HP stock or something.
    So, my 3-5 seconds (or more) on all those devices don't count? Dang...

    BTW, I know you've made assumptions, but I'll state again - I support mobile phones for a government agency, and did so at my previous job as well. While all we officially support are BB's, lots of folks bring their phones to me, and the previous site did Windows phones, Treos, and iPhones, once they got around to handling our email system.

    Finally, I don't own HP stock, and actually only one of their printers. But this is an HP related forum.
  15. #135  
    Hparsons wins again - by attrition and not logic.

    Anyway, you can get a sense, albeit minor, of how a phone/tablet feels after holding it a few seconds. Is that enough time or information to make a purchase decision? Probably not. But that does not mean those precious few seconds don't count; in fact right or wrong it's sometimes difficult to change that initial perception.

    It's the same thing in other facets of life...we form impressions very quickly when we meet other people or things.
  16. #136  
    Quote Originally Posted by Really mobile View Post
    Hparsons wins again - by attrition and not logic.
    Standard. It's how the world works.
  17. #137  
    Quote Originally Posted by Really mobile View Post
    Hparsons wins again - by attrition and not logic.

    Anyway, you can get a sense, albeit minor, of how a phone/tablet feels after holding it a few seconds. Is that enough time or information to make a purchase decision? Probably not. But that does not mean those precious few seconds don't count; in fact right or wrong it's sometimes difficult to change that initial perception.

    It's the same thing in other facets of life...we form impressions very quickly when we meet other people or things.
    Silly me, I missed the logic of holding it 3-5 seconds, and thus determining it's built like a Fisher-Price toy. Of course, I've yet to find any other reviews that show the same thing, so I guess the "logic" was pretty localized.

    Even some of the harsher critics of Palm Products felt it was solid. I'll repeat, just because a device is plastic doesn't make it toylike.
  18.    #138  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    So, my 3-5 seconds (or more) on all those devices don't count? Dang...
    Of course they count and I'm sure you gathered your impressions from the short amount of time you handled them.
  19. #139  
    Hey Bark,

    Take a look at my post here which pieces together a blog post from webosworld to postulate what happened last fall.
    http://forums.precentral.net/hp-pre-...ml#post2874961

    If this is right, then sprint will get the Pre3 in summer

    The community was supposed to be taken of by a Sprint Pre in Nov. Right now probably unlikely that "something special" will be done as HP now looking forward
    Veer2 will be CDMA device and then possibly one more device before end of year, maybe a 4G device?
  20. #140  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    I've just been at a social event with a friend of mine who works for hp (just on the train on the way back so excuse typos) - he says that the statement that it will be shipping on millions of pc was literally just thrown in there to drum up interest and absolutely nothing solid is planned. His take is that nothing is ready but there is a push to market to show there is roi.

    Sent from my ZTE-BLADE using Tapatalk
    And now we see this:

    Apotheker: webOS to be on every HP PC sold in 2012 | PreCentral.net | The #1 Palm Pre and Pixi Community

    So, apparently either the friend failed to talk to Apotheker, or HP has moved at relatively lightening speed (for such a large company) to get the non-existent plans into place.
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Posting Permissions