Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Yep, HP clearly thinks that the Veer will appeal to flip phone users. I have a hard time believing that the flip phone users in my family will like the slider, and if they have to pay for a data plan anyway, they will either buy the Pre3 or stick with a feature phone.

I think the Veer would be more successful if they can tie it to tablet and Notebook PC sales...

The size is awesome for a phone, but for web/email use people will go blind before they reach their upgrade date.
    I like the looks of the phone, but I'm anxious to hear the price. If this is a $200 phone, I don't think it's going to sell. If it's a $100 phone, it might. If it's a $50 phone (well, a $49 phone that most consumer then think of as a $40 phone), I think it'll sell left and right. It'll sell to lots of parents who wouldn't/couldn't justify the price of an iPhone or Evo for their teen kid, but can a $50 price tag. Then those kids' parents will be taking a second look, and it'll catch on to others.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoFly View Post
    So, what do you have to say about what CGK said? It goes against what you think HP is doing and looks like HP is just throwing things against the wall and see what sticks.
    What do I have to say about what CGK said about what a "friend" of his that works for HP might have said?

Not much.

I work for one of the biggest customers HP has. I don't need to talk to friends of HP employees to get info. I can talk to HP.
    Last edited by hparsons; 02/13/2011 at 12:19 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I like the looks of the phone, but I'm anxious to hear the price. If this is a $200 phone, I don't think it's going to sell. If it's a $100 phone, it might. If it's a $50 phone (well, a $49 phone that most consumer then think of as a $40 phone), I think it'll sell left and right. It'll sell to lots of parents who wouldn't/couldn't justify the price of an iPhone or Evo for their teen kid, but can a $50 price tag. Then those kids' parents will be taking a second look, and it'll catch on to others.
    I don't think too many parents would pay $50 for an unknown product with few apps and games for their child, but not pay $99 for the phone the kid really wants.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    I don't think too many parents would pay $50 for an unknown product with few apps and games for their child, but not pay $99 for the phone the kid really wants.
    You're kidding, right?

How many kids have you raised through their teen years? No accusation, I'm just curious.

I raised 4 girls, and now working on raising grandkids.

I will also tell you, there's a consumer ... magic, weirdness, phobias, whatever you want to call it about numbers. People don't think of $49 as $50 (for the most part). Those that do, still think of $50 "only" half $50 as half of what they also consider to be a realy big number $100.

There's a reason for many of the common price points you see.
    You're kidding, right?

How many kids have you raised through their teen years? No accusation, I'm just curious.

I raised 4 girls, and now working on raising grandkids.

I will also tell you, there's a consumer ... magic, weirdness, phobias, whatever you want to call it about numbers. People don't think of $49 as $50 (for the most part). Those that do, still think of $50 "only" half $50 as half of what they also consider to be a realy big number $100.

There's a reason for many of the common price points you see.
    I am past the point of buying kids phones. I know lots of people who bought their kids iPt and iPhones. I know one parent who just recently bought an iPad for their 4yo. Insane, I know, but there you have it. They are not choosing between two generic phones. They are choosing between one generic phone for $50 and an iPhone for $99. No contest.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    The TouchPad looks and feels cheap, almost as if it was designed by Fisher-Price.
    If Fisher Price was the designer, it would look like this:

http://forums.precentral.net/attachm...1&d=1297579087
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    If Fisher Price was the designer, it would look like this:

http://forums.precentral.net/attachm...1&d=1297579087
    I want that!

Sent from my eVo
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    Gotta give you credit, LCGuy.

Although the veer isn't an option for me, I'm not here to dis the product simply due to my tastes.

Too many people who don't like it think it's an automatic fail. Well, we, as individuals, on these tech forums are simply that... enthusiastic tech people. 95% of the population for cell phones don't read this stuff, don't care.. they just want a phone that suits their needs and that it works.

I have a feeling there is a market for the veer, even if it's small.

Why everyone thinks every device, webOS or whatever, needs to be #1, is just beyond me. Competition is a good thing.

Cell phones aren't pc vs mac. There will be many options. This market will be much like the automobile market, lots of choices, lots of flavours

At the end of the day, if the cell phone works for you, that's all that matters. Why people are so offended by what device people have is just.. I don't know anymore.

Anywho, besides my random rant, props to you for thinking outside the box and beyond your own needs.

Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    Im not sure that I understand where you get this from - you are presuming that is thier intent for the device, and, Ive seen nor heard nothing to support that. I believe the Veer, has, in HP's eyes, a specific market, and they are looking to tap into it.

Hmmm... good question, but its assuming that your hypothesis about thier being marketted together is correct... and Im not sure it is, but, I'll give it a stab by asking you a question that will help you "see the light" (if there is one, to be seen, that is):

Back in 2007, how many people were in the market for a capacitive touch screen smartphone?

You know, I'm REALLY glad you pointed this out, and posted the photos for a true scale, because it helps my rationalize my hypthesis even more: That ohone, when the keyboard is retracted, is small and handy, yet still usable with that display - you get a beautiful, large touchscreen display - you can easily see who is callling you, who is text messaging you, etc..

AND...

The beauty of it is, you can then slide the keyboard out, and have full QWERTY capabilities, without sacrificing screen real estate - the device becomes larger when the user needs it to be, and stays small - when the user needs it to be...

I think that this is precisely what many *on the fence" "dumphone" users would likley migrate to

I am past the point of buying kids phones. I know lots of people who bought their kids iPt and iPhones. I know one parent who just recently bought an iPad for their 4yo. Insane, I know, but there you have it. They are not choosing between two generic phones. They are choosing between one generic phone for $50 and an iPhone for $99. No contest.
    I know some that did the same. You missed my point. I know more that made the opposite choice. I also saw people flock to the Pearl and Centro for their teen kids that never would look at the more powerful "relatives" of those devices.
    Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    However, I disagree with the gist of the post. Many large organizations (ours included) completely wipe the drives and nothing remains from the distributor; however, many don't. The point HP was making is valid. Including WebOS on their computers will help make the system more widely accepted.
    One problem that I can see, is that large corporate companies are now very cautious with what software comes in the PC. Most of the time, it has to be sanctioned by the IT department before it can be used. Having WebOS in the PC may be attractive to consumers, but corporate companies may give it a hard time in letting it be used as it may circumvent some IT policies in place.
    I know some that did the same. You missed my point. I know more that made the opposite choice. I also saw people flock to the Pearl and Centro for their teen kids that never would look at the more powerful "relatives" of those devices.
    I get that. But at the time of the Centro, there was no $99 iPhone or EVO that kids would trade their Nikes for. With today's technology and available ecosystems, there is so much less room for small phones that do less in the teen market.
    What do I have to say about what CGK said about what a "friend" of his that works for HP might have said?

Not much.

I work for one of the biggest customers HP has. I don't need to talk to friends of HP employees to get info. I can talk to HP.
    You didn't answer the question...

You said earlier...

The point HP was making is valid. Including WebOS on their computers will help make the system more widely accepted.
    That doesn't match what CGK was told by an employee at HP.

So, did someone at HP tell you your info, or are you just agreeing with what they put on a chart?

If you have access to someone at HP, then why not get the real deal?

You love to attack anyone that says something negative about HP, even if it's true. But, when an HP employee said that they just put it up there on the chart to get an reaction, you find nothing wrong with that.

Love the double standard.
    I get that. But at the time of the Centro, there was no $99 iPhone or EVO that kids would trade their Nikes for. With today's technology and available ecosystems, there is so much less room for small phones that do less in the teen market.
    There is always a name brand that kids want, and there are always responsible adults that don't say "yes", just because the kid wants it.

Whether it's phones, jeans, cars, or just hanging at the mall on a weekday night.
    You didn't answer the question...
    No, actually, I did. Maybe "not much" was too subtle for you. Let me explain it differently.

I don't put much faith in repeated "a friend told me" tales. The friend may be basically correct, that hard and firm plans aren't made yet, but that doesn't mean nothing is in the works.
    So, did someone at HP tell you your info, or are you just agreeing with what they put on a chart?
    Neither. I haven't asked my contacts at HP. And I haven't agreed with what they put on a chart, other than to say I think it sounds like a good idea.

You love to attack anyone that says something negative about HP, even if it's true. But, when an HP employee said that they just put it up there on the chart to get an reaction, you find nothing wrong with that.

Love the double standard.
    Ahh, now we get down to the gist of it.

I neither agreed nor disagreed until you invited me into the conversation about someone on the interneat in another country hearing something from an HP employee.

Sorry, throw your little trantrum if you wish, but I chose not to play, that's certainly my option.
    I know of a lot of kids who have iPhones and iPads. Sure I do. Of course, my wife works for BlackBerry Farms and most people who pay $2000 a night make a lot of money.

Then again, there are a lot of people who don't make a lot of money, they kids want a smart phone and can't afford a $100 phone or a $200 phone. So they buy the Veer. Most parents don't do much research they just buy the best they can.
    Quote Originally Posted by astraith View Post
    I know of a lot of kids who have iPhones and iPads. Sure I do. Of course, my wife works for BlackBerry Farms and most people who pay $2000 a night make a lot of money.

Then again, there are a lot of people who don't make a lot of money, they kids want a smart phone and can't afford a $100 phone or a $200 phone. So they buy the Veer. Most parents don't do much research they just buy the best they can.
    How about a $49 iPhone 3Gs for the kiddies?
    ATT 3Gs iPhone
    It solves few things for the parents: phone,music player. No need to buy a separate music player like a nano, Ipod or iTouch.
    No, actually, I did. Maybe "not much" was too subtle for you. Let me explain it differently.

I don't put much faith in repeated "a friend told me" tales. The friend may be basically correct, that hard and firm plans aren't made yet, but that doesn't mean nothing is in the works.

Neither. I haven't asked my contacts at HP. And I haven't agreed with what they put on a chart, other than to say I think it sounds like a good idea.

Ahh, now we get down to the gist of it.

I neither agreed nor disagreed until you invited me into the conversation about someone on the interneat in another country hearing something from an HP employee.

Sorry, throw your little trantrum if you wish, but I chose not to play, that's certainly my option.
    It's just funny how you got all riled up because barkerja gave his opinion of what he experienced at the HP presentation. He gave his opinion based upon what he witnessed and because he said something negative about HP, you didn't like it. You know the Fisher Price comment.

But, CKG heard from an HP employee that HP basically posted some info on a chart to get an reaction and you have nothing negative to say about it. Although, it seems HP did a **** poor job with the whole presentation (you only have to look at the numerous negative reactions on this forum to see) you said NOTHING negative about HP just posting some info on chart just to get an reaction.

That's the reason why I said you have a double standard.
    You know who's opinions I value here? People that were actually at the events. Developers. The more I read, the worse it gets. I was excited about the Pre2, but it's just so clear webOS development is a total disaster right now. The developers have been given the shaft, and HP has decided to move to a completely new Enyo platform before their old platform was even ready (webOS 2.0 SDK).

webOS is still missing key features I would use every single day (voice dial, for example). VoIP applications for example. It's just a disaster. The whole thing, and it keeps getting worse.
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    ATT 3Gs iPhone
    It solves few things for the parents: phone,music player. No need to buy a separate music player like a nano, Ipod or iTouch.
    Thats very true. I did forget about that iPhone. If Veer is only on ATT, then HP would have trouble selling the phone. We shall see!
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    ATT 3Gs iPhone
    Good move, if you want the 3 year old phone on the network that all the iPhone owners complained about.

Yes, there's a market for Apples old stuff, but there's also a market for HP's new stuff.